CSC cutoff, left stick down while ascending
1672 28 2015-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jerry486
lvl.2
Flight distance : 579357 ft
United Kingdom

So it would seem that if you hold this for long enough the machine will fall out of the sky,

Tests conducted with some friends have confirmed this (hand holding, fooling it that it is descending, so not just hovering at one altitude)

It would also seem that this does not happen at 100% stick input but at around 70-80% - this is quite worrying and might cause unnessary crashes.

If I need to cut off the power in case of any emergency, I will hold this down at least 90%+ anyways..

@DJI: Can this be rectified in the next update so that this only happens at 90%+ stick inputs?
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I am pretty sure if u fool anything it is going to fail. There is absolutely no way pulling throttle down 100%  by itself the motors are going to cut off because one stick is not CSC.
2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you CSC at any time, it will shut down the motors for safety reasons, and if you are in air - then you will have non-powered flight until you restart or hit the ground.   If you are in the air and just hold the throttle down 100%, it will not shut off the motors.  I have done so many times.   It is perfectly safe.
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mixmaven Posted at 2015-8-22 05:25
If you CSC at any time, it will shut down the motors for safety reasons, and if you are in air - the ...

see this is something I would like to confirm because there have been reports it WILL cut off while holding the left stick down while in flight, what if you hit a wind current moving upwards while the aircraft is strugling to go downwards and remain at a certain altitude for those mere 3 seconds?
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mixmaven Posted at 2015-8-22 05:25
If you CSC at any time, it will shut down the motors for safety reasons, and if you are in air - the ...

are you saying if I hold the left stick CSC down for lets say 1 second I'm OK? I know that! please elaborate on this
this is a design flaw, there should be a separate emergency switch for this, piltots don't perform stick inputs to eject, they usually pull a handle that says PULL IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 05:28
see this is something I would like to confirm because there have been reports it WILL cut off while ...

In the air, 100% negative throttle just drops the P3 as fast as possible.   After you land, it will shut the motors down after three seconds.   

I tested this feature multiple times in beta before it was released.

2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 05:31
are you saying if I hold the left stick CSC down for lets say 1 second I'm OK? I know that! please  ...

There is a slight delay, but never CSC in the air, even for a second - unless there is an emergency.

CSC cannot be removed for safety reasons.  Look at the enrique iglesias video, the I1 was in the air when grabbed and the pilot should have CSC'd immediately.  
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mixmaven Posted at 2015-8-22 05:34
In the air, 100% negative throttle just drops the P3 as fast as possible.   After you land, it wil ...

so I am flying, then BAM! emergency - I pull the full left stick down, it will "go down as fast as possible" (whatever that means), land and cut off engines - is this some sort of auto-emergency land feature then?

Please share your experience as this might save a few birds!
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Here we go again......
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yes, there will be noobs who don't have the time to read all the forum threads because they have actual work to do - so please summarize if you don't mind - is it ok to pull the left stick down to 100% to descend while in mid-air, or not?
2015-8-21
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

We have some large birds here that are total dicks.

I have held my left stick full down for 5-6 seconds trying to descend as fast as I could, no motor stoppage.

If the P3 detects no altitude change THEN it will stop the motors with full down left stick input.
2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Depends if you fly mode 2, but pulling the throttle down at 100% will drop the P3 to the ground at a high rated of speed. If you do not let up, it will crash land and most likely damage the craft.   When you land normally, pull the throttle all the way down for 3 seconds and the motors will shut down.  This has been discussed multiple times, you may want to search the forum for further details.  
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 05:48
Yes, there will be noobs who don't have the time to read all the forum threads because they have a ...

Absolutely. No issue. That is how they expect you to land even though for some reason they have a terrible time trying to convey it in the manuals. Do not fear. You can drop altitude as fast as you want with no issues. I promise.....
2015-8-21
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Yes, there will be noobs who don't have the time to read all the forum threads because they have a ...

I guess I am confused by the title to this thread - why is CSC (combination stick command) in the title?  Are you talking about ONLY the left stick being pulled down? I think so, right? By the way, "CSC" is defined and explained thoroughly on page 46 of the P3 Advanced English manual, and probably somewhere close to that page for the Pro.

Anyway, my tests and other forums tend to confirm that whenever the accelerometers in the P3 are anything but neutral (in ANY axis, not just vertical), the motors simply will not shut off. This assumes you are holding down the left stick - throttle ONLY - to the bottom.

If yours turns off the motors even at 80% down while in flight, I would say there is a problem in that aircraft.

Also, in reference to the phrase, "go down as fast as possible" above, I think that means just what it says; if you hold down the left stick all the way while in flight, your aircraft will go down as fast as its terminal velocity will allow. Pretty fast I suspect.

2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Trilithon Posted at 2015-8-22 05:51
We have some large birds here that are total dicks.

I have held my left stick full down for 5-6 sec ...

I will accept my new title of "total Bird-dick" if this is what I have to do to gain some valuable experience - sign me up for that!

Thank you all, from now on I will descend my bird remaining fully confident and knowing - that this forbidden knowledge was passed down from the very Olympus of knowledge and experience.
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you all, I apolgize for being a bit of a "bird Dick" as someone has mentioned,

FOR SCIENCE!
2015-8-21
Use props
Superfantastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-22 05:56
Absolutely. No issue. That is how they expect you to land even though for some reason they have a  ...

yep, seen this thread before
full down does nothing until it lands and altitude is 0
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 06:05
Thank you all, I apolgize for being a bit of a "bird Dick" as someone has mentioned,

FOR SCIENCE! ...

LOL. No Jerry. He has some birds where he flies that are extreme bullies to his quad. He has to do full down to escape their attacks. We WILL give you a hard time sometimes as it is all in fun! Don't worry. I get it too. By the way....where is that king of the smart A**es named JHall651, guys?
2015-8-21
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
United Kingdom

birds gave me a bit of headache once or twice too! I avoided one bird once, came to a landing spot altitude and guess what? he came back with 5 of his mates 60 seconds later! nature, damn u scary!
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

The birds have no idea how bad the rotors bite back......They want blood!
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 05:31
are you saying if I hold the left stick CSC down for lets say 1 second I'm OK? I know that! please  ...

i say again, 1 stick is not a COMBINED STICK COMMAND, you need 2 to be COMBINED. you can ascend to 1600feet and come down full speed(i dont suggest u do incase u enter vortex) down it will not be a csc
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 05:40
so I am flying, then BAM! emergency - I pull the full left stick down, it will "go down as fast as  ...

which part of 1 STICK DOWN IS NOT CSC U CANT UNDERSTAND?
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

YES IT IS SAFE IT WONT BE A CSC. but full speed down may enter ur craft in a vortex state.
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Jim, please kick me in the head
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

i am running 2 companies, work around 20 hours a day, 2 young kids, 3 divorced wives, on this forum for probably more than i should, and i still found time to read manual and watch videos, bud!
2015-8-21
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-8-22 06:05

FOR SCIENCE! ...

Heh, didn't even notice your avatar .... the birds I referenced are Mississippi Kites.

Large, aggressive and territorial.
2015-8-21
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It was clear in his first post that he didn't know what CSC meant.  Hey, I didn't either.  COMBINED stick command takes two combined sticks to accomplish.  One stick does not a CSC make.  
2015-8-21
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

VRS is a theoretical possibility but not a concern on the P3 if you use factory props and firmware.  It never hurts to recognize the beginning stages so you can make corrections if necessary.
2015-8-21
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Get carbon fiber props on your p3's and get ready to do csc to restart your motors..  Right before the bird strikes the p3 hit the throttle to 100% so those carbon fiber props kick the shit out of that bird ass! Lol. Then once the motors stop due to the bird, do csc adapted to restart and then hit full throttle again so the p3 has maximum power to recover from its tumble...  Lol. I had to csc fast one time on my F550 with napa-m v2 on it from a bird strike, so I know it's possible to restart  and recover from it... Lol
2015-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules