Portrait Orientation
5704 4 2023-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AspenDJI
New

United Kingdom

I've only just bought the Action 2 so I'm just trying to figure it out. I'd like to record portrait orientation video whilst the camer is orientated upright. I'm using the DJI app on my iPhone to view a live feed from the DJI. When using the DJI app, it seems that the only way view a portrait video is by tilting the DJI camera on it's side. I've tried using the Orientation Lock but it doesn't seem to work.

Please could someone help by explaining how I can record a portrait video while the DJI action 2 is in an upright position?

Many thanks.
2023-3-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There are 2 methods on how to shoot a portrait mode using the DJI Action 2.
Method 1:
Swipe down on the camera unit touchscreen to enter the “Settings” page and disable “Orientation Lock.” Then, rotate the camera to the left or right side by 90° for placement or holding.

* To check the view with DJI Mimo at the same time, hold the mobile phone in the Portrait position.

Method 2: (This can be set in the resolution of HorizonSteady)
When the DJI Action 2 needs to be used with the magnetic headband or magnetic lanyard, the camera unit cannot be kept from rotating by 90° during recording due to the restriction of the magnetic connection position, please follow the steps below for setting the device:
1. Disable HorizonSteady and Orientation Lock and rotate the camera to the left or right side by 90° for placement.
2. After keeping the camera in a lateral direction, enable Orientation Lock and HorizonSteady.

3. Then, rotate the camera unit back. You can see that the camera view will remain in Portrait mode and the recorded video will also be in Portrait mode.

2023-3-23
Use props
AspenDJI
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-23 18:34
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There are 2 methods on how to shoot a portrait mode using the DJI Action 2.
Method 1:
Swipe down on the camera unit touchscreen to enter the “Settings” page and disable “Orientation Lock.” Then, rotate the camera to the left or right side by 90° for placement or holding.

Thank you for you reply. I followed your steps for Method 2. Initially I thought it wasn't working (I had the camera set to 4k/16:9). In this mode 'HorizonSteady' isn't an option, only HorizonBalancing which does not work.

I tried switching the camera to 2.7k/16:9 and noticed that the HorizonSteady option becomes available.

Is it only possible to record in portrait whilst in 2.7k/16:9 mode?

Also, I was getting confused because the viewing screen on the camera remains horizontal even though the image is vertically orientated within the viewing screen. I was expecting the viewing screen to also be in portrait orientation.

However, regardless of the viewing screen orientation I can now see that the camera is actually recording in portrait mode when the camera is orientated vortically.

Thank you for your advice, problem solved!
2023-3-23
Use props
AspenDJI
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-23 18:34
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There are 2 methods on how to shoot a portrait mode using the DJI Action 2.
Method 1:
Swipe down on the camera unit touchscreen to enter the “Settings” page and disable “Orientation Lock.” Then, rotate the camera to the left or right side by 90° for placement or holding.

I've just been doing some more experimenting... when the camera is clipped into a headband with the magnetic connection at the bottom and the camera lens facing forwards, your Method 2 works.

However, when I look down, or tilt the camera downwards, the image flips back into horizontal mode. Is there a way to stop this happening?

I want to be able to mount the camera on a headband and record what I'm doing on the desk in portrait.

Many thanks.
2023-3-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

AspenDJI Posted at 3-23 23:49
I've just been doing some more experimenting... when the camera is clipped into a headband with the magnetic connection at the bottom and the camera lens facing forwards, your Method 2 works.

However, when I look down, or tilt the camera downwards, the image flips back into horizontal mode. Is there a way to stop this happening?

Thank you for your response. Yes, the HorizonSteady is only available when the video resolution is 1080p (16:9) or 2.7k(16:9). In addition, we will coordinate this feedback of yours to our designated team for attention. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules