Selecting a drone
774 27 2023-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Hi all,

I'm prepared purchasing a drone for traveling and for self-capturing myself in video.

Currently I'm using a smart phone as camera mounted at the end of an extension and controlled by another smart phone, as controller, mounted at the handle of the extension rod, using "Remote Desktop" technology to control the camera because the camera unable to be reached by my hand.  It works seamlessly but having following drawback.
1) I'm captured in the video always with my head bending down because looking at the controller
2) The view of scene is small.

Can I use a drone for this purpose.  The setup  of the drone must be quick because the Travel Team is moving on.  They won't wait for me to capture video.

The countries to be visited;
(9 countries in Balkan, Southern Europe)
Albania
Bosnia
Bulgaria
Croatia
Macedonia
Montenegro
Romania
Serbia
Slovenia

Please advise.  Thanks

Regards

2023-3-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For ease if where you can fly Id recommend you stick to something under 250g.
2023-3-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For quick deployment a sub-250g drone with dedicated controller, such as the Mini3Pro.  But check out the regulations for each of the countries you intend to visit, first.
2023-3-24
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-24 03:49
For ease if where you can fly Id recommend you stick to something under 250g.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I have checked the LAWs governing Drone on following countries.

Albania
Bosnia
Bulgaria
Croatia
The drone has a maximum take-off mass of less than 25 kg (55 lbs).

Slovenia
If your drone weighs 5 kilograms (33 pounds) or more, you have to register it with the CAA.

Macedonia
Planned drone operations should be reported to the MCAA at least 24 hours prior to flight.

Montenegro
no indication

Romania
You must also obtain a permit from the RCAA before you can fly your drone in any public airspace.

Serbian
Serbian law requires that all drones be registered with the government.

I can forget Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania and Serbian.  How can I assess "The drone has a maximum take-off mass of less than 25 kg (55 lbs)" ???

Maybe I'll get one as toy.  The weight of the drone allowed in my country here, Hong Kong, is less than 7kg.  What will be your suggestion on Drone Model?

Thanks

Regards
2023-3-24
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 3-24 08:00
For quick deployment a sub-250g drone with dedicated controller, such as the Mini3Pro.  But check out the regulations for each of the countries you intend to visit, first.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Re. Laws applied to flying drone of the countries to be visited, please refer to my reply to DAFlys.

Maybe I have to give up my idea and purchase a drone as toy for training.  What will be your  suggestion

Thanks

Regards
2023-3-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-24 22:04
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah I reckon you'll subject yourself to far less potential grief if you stick to your cellphone and selfie-sticks idea.
2023-3-24
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 3-24 23:19
Yeah I reckon you'll subject yourself to far less potential grief if you stick to your cellphone and selfie-sticks idea.

Yes, if I can't find a new way I'm compelled going back to my old method.

If the group staying in a place for more than 30min I'll mount a camera or a smart phone on tripod.  Then I'll walk around in front of the camera/smart phone to capture myself.  After returning home I'll re-edit all video.

I have long experience on video editing including adding title/subtitle, narration, background music etc. on video.

Thanks
2023-3-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-24 23:48
Yes, if I can't find a new way I'm compelled going back to my old method.

If the group staying in a place for more than 30min I'll mount a camera or a smart phone on tripod.  Then I'll walk around in front of the camera/smart phone to capture myself.  After returning home I'll re-edit all video.

Whatever you do, enjoy the experience. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Good luck!
2023-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-24 21:52
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes but where you can fly is effected,   for example a 249g drone can fly over people but anything heavier will be need to be 50m to 150m away.
2023-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-24 21:52
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

For the EU countries this gives more info about weights

2023-3-25
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 3-25 00:14
Whatever you do, enjoy the experience. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Good luck!

Thanks

I have traveled almost all countries in Western and Northern Europe, Canada and USA, including Hawaii, China and countries in the Far East, including Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand and Philippine etc., for work not for sightseeing.  At that time when I made frequent travel to Western Europe, Soviet Union and Yugoslavia have not dissolved. I didn't want to risk myself visiting there nor they welcome foreign visitors.

Now I have retired.  I expect using the time visiting countries in Eastern Europe as well as Balkan.  All photos and video taken will be posted on my websites.  That is the complete story.

I'll join travel tour not going alone myself.  I don't speak Sleve language

2023-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-25 01:26
Thanks

I have traveled almost all countries in Western and Northern Europe, Canada and USA, including Hawaii, China and countries in the Far East, including Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand and Philippine etc., for work not for sightseeing.  At that time when I made frequent travel to Western Europe, Soviet Union and Yugoslavia have not dissolved. I didn't want to risk myself visiting there nor they welcome foreign visitors.

Bon voyage
2023-3-25
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Merci beaucoup

Un grand merci pour votre réponse
2023-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-25 01:51
Merci beaucoup

Un grand merci pour votre réponse

2023-3-25
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 01:13
For the EU countries this gives more info about weights

[view_image]

Thanks for your advice and the chart

Could you or any folk on the forum suggest me an economic drone as toy.  I don't expect to have a Mavic 3 Pro as toy.  As a beginner I may crash it in test-flying

Thanks
2023-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-25 02:09
Thanks for your advice and the chart

Could you or any folk on the forum suggest me an economic drone as toy.  I don't expect to have a Mavic 3 Pro as toy.  As a beginner I may crash it in test-flying

Something like a Mini 2 SE is a good drone for the money.
2023-3-25
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 02:27
Something like a Mini 2 SE is a good drone for the money.

Thanks

Whether you suggest following drone?

DJI MINI 2 SE SPECS RELEASED AHEAD OF LAUNCH
https://dronexl.co/2023/02/06/dji-mini-2-se-specs-released/

I can't find the detail of the built-in Camera?

Regards
2023-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-25 02:38
Thanks

Whether you suggest following drone?

Specs are on the DJI site

https://www.dji.com/uk/mini-2-se/specs
2023-3-25
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 02:40
Specs are on the DJI site

Very stange!

Clicking your link it popup to;
https://www.dji.com/hk/404?from=/hk/mini-2-se/info#specs

404 not found
2023-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-25 06:36
Very stange!

Clicking your link it popup to;

You may need to change the country you're being from at the bottom of the screen.
2023-3-26
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-26 00:07
You may need to change the country you're being from at the bottom of the screen.

Sorry, no.

Today I visited a DJI retail shop here.  Even they can't find DJI website here, Hong Kong, already closed.  I suspect whether DJI is stepping out the market here.

I find the camera spec (dji mini 2 se) on following website, a Taiwan company;
https://www.esentra.com.tw/product/dji-mini-2-se/

It is a Chinese website.  I translate the camera spec to English and upload it here.  Could you please help me to understand the spec?  I'm not a professional photographer

Thanks

Regards

2023-3-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here's the full spec from DJI website converted to pdf - https://filetransfer.io/data-package/7vrrWLab#link
2023-3-26
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-26 03:36
Here's the full spec from DJI website converted to pdf - https://filetransfer.io/data-package/7vrrWLab#link

Thanks.  I got it.

Could you please advise me where can I download the full spec of DJI mini 3 pro in .pdf ?

Comparing the camera spec.

DJI mini 3 pro
Resolution        4K:3840×2160@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
2.7K:2720×1530@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
FHD:1920×1080@24/25/30/48/50/60fps

DJI mini 2 se
Resolution        2.7K: 2720x1530@24/25/30fps
FHD:1920×1080@24/25/30/48/50/60fps

The camera of DJI mini 3 pro is a 4K camera which I need.

I don't mind paying more to purchase a DJI mini 3 pro.  What causes me hesitate making this decision is I'm a beginner.  I may crash the drone in learning to fly it.

Regards
2023-3-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-26 06:23
Thanks.  I got it.

Could you please advise me where can I download the full spec of DJI mini 3 pro in .pdf ?

The full specs for the Mini 3 Pro are here.  https://www.dji.com/uk/mini-3-pro/specs

If you start slow and in places with lots of room then crashes are quite rare,  and the Mini 3 Pro has some obstacle avoidance so that also helps too.
2023-3-26
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-26 06:26
The full specs for the Mini 3 Pro are here.  https://www.dji.com/uk/mini-3-pro/specs

Sorry, the link couldn't work here.  It switches automatically to the DJI Hong Kong website which has been closed, with 404 page not found popup.

I would start to learn flying the drone in playground, with sufficient open space.  What attention I must pay to learning flying a drone at start?

Thanks

2023-3-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-26 06:36
Sorry, the link couldn't work here.  It switches automatically to the DJI Hong Kong website which has been closed, with 404 page not found popup.

I would start to learn flying the drone in playground, with sufficient open space.  What attention I must pay to learning flying a drone at start?

Try this link as you should be able to change country

https://store.dji.com/uk?set_region=GB&from=store-nav
2023-3-26
Use props
dji-satimis
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DAFlys Posted at 3-26 23:08
Try this link as you should be able to change country

Hi,

I got the full spec of DJI mini 3 pro download on;
https://www.dji.com/uk/mini-3-pro/specs

Thanks.

I'll go through all documents as well as YouTube video in re Drone operation before its purchase.  There is no urgency on its purchase.  I can't use it on travel because some countries require registration  before flying the drone.  It is impossible for me because I'm traveling.

A further question what will be Mavic vs Mini?   Is Mavic for professional use?

Regards
2023-3-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-satimis Posted at 3-26 23:28
Hi,

I got the full spec of DJI mini 3 pro download on;

Unless you can get a C1 labeled Mavic 3 which are only available in EU countries with an EU address to send the labels to then you will be listed to A3 flight which will be 150m away from people/buildings/structures/vehicles/parks/beaches etc.
2023-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules