Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-30 03:27
That sounds good to me 22Tb (like 2x22Tb, or 2x11?)

2x22TB (totals 44 TB).  One will be primary back-up with Second one to back-up data on first one.  
2023-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-30 08:25
2x22TB (totals 44 TB).  One will be primary back-up with Second one to back-up data on first one.

Now that is serious!
2023-3-30
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-30 08:25
2x22TB (totals 44 TB).  One will be primary back-up with Second one to back-up data on first one.

Wish I had that much hard drive space
2023-3-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-30 03:07
On rainy days I try to catch up on indoor chores.  I recently purchased tw Seagate Exos X22 hard drive and working to move all my archives to them.  Hopefully, 22 TB will last me for a long time.  I use one as the primary and the second as a back-up.

I hope the backup drive leaves the boat and goes to another destination,  otherwise you cant really call it a backup.
2023-3-31
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

I like it too
2023-3-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-30 22:38
Now that is serious!

I got tired of buying smaller TB drives so when Seagate came out with these 22TB drives I jumped on two.  Hopefully, I will not have to upgrade to anything bigger in the future.  
2023-3-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 3-31 00:12
Wish I had that much hard drive space

I got tired of moving up in size on back up drives so when Seagate announced the 22TB drives I just decided to jump on them.  Hopefully, I will not have to upgrade again for a couple of more years.
2023-3-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-31 05:37
I hope the backup drive leaves the boat and goes to another destination,  otherwise you cant really call it a backup.

I keep one on shore in a safe in my workshop and then once a week I bring it on the boat and back up the primary drive to it and then take it back ashore to the safe again.  
2023-3-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-31 11:49
I keep one on shore in a safe in my workshop and then once a week I bring it on the boat and back up the primary drive to it and then take it back ashore to the safe again.

Even that might be a bit close.    Cant you have your grandson look after it.  
2023-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-31 10:43
I got tired of buying smaller TB drives so when Seagate came out with these 22TB drives I jumped on two.  Hopefully, I will not have to upgrade to anything bigger in the future.

I have to look them up, but suspect they are quite expensive.
2023-4-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-1 00:41
Even that might be a bit close.    Cant you have your grandson look after it.

The workshop was built to withstand hurricane force winds and the safe is inside the shop and inside a concrete bordered room along with all my collectable items.  So that is like putting things inside a vault in a bank.  Virtually fireproof, waterproof and windproof.  
2023-4-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-1 03:02
I have to look them up, but suspect they are quite expensive.

I got mine from a friend who is a Manager at a major data center.  They bought a bulk of them and he sold me two at his cost ($400 each).  
2023-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-1 05:32
I got mine from a friend who is a Manager at a major data center.  They bought a bulk of them and he sold me two at his cost ($400 each).

That is quite expensive (not for 44 Tb, but in total), but it will last you a long time!
2023-4-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-1 05:35
That is quite expensive (not for 44 Tb, but in total), but it will last you a long time!

Yes it was quite expensive which is why I hope I don't have to upgrade ever again or not for many years.  I use them to also back up all my computer systems onboard my boat.  With engineering and navigation systems being fully automated it takes up quite a bit of space to back up those systems.
2023-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-1 05:40
Yes it was quite expensive which is why I hope I don't have to upgrade ever again or not for many years.  I use them to also back up all my computer systems onboard my boat.  With engineering and navigation systems being fully automated it takes up quite a bit of space to back up those systems.

Yes, well, they do tend to break down sometimes, so it is good you have 2.
2023-4-1
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-31 11:35
I got tired of moving up in size on back up drives so when Seagate announced the 22TB drives I just decided to jump on them.  Hopefully, I will not have to upgrade again for a couple of more years.

I do think that ought to last for a good while. Of course, partially depending on how trigger-happy you get with the drones and other cameras.
2023-4-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-1 05:22
The workshop was built to withstand hurricane force winds and the safe is inside the shop and inside a concrete bordered room along with all my collectable items.  So that is like putting things inside a vault in a bank.  Virtually fireproof, waterproof and windproof.

Thats not too bad then,   I once had to do scenario planning for a manufactures backups,  and then calculate a cost to protect them,  we stopped at meteorite.  
2023-4-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-1 07:15
Yes, well, they do tend to break down sometimes, so it is good you have 2.

I learned years back that with data storage that redundancy is good.  
2023-4-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-1 10:56
I do think that ought to last for a good while. Of course, partially depending on how trigger-happy you get with the drones and other cameras.

I sure hope it does.  I was thinking back to my first PC and the small amount of storage it had.  Back then I'd never have dreamed of TB storage.  
2023-4-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-1 23:51
Thats not too bad then,   I once had to do scenario planning for a manufactures backups,  and then calculate a cost to protect them,  we stopped at meteorite.

Sounds like that scenario covered all possibility catastrophes.  
2023-4-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-2 05:28
I sure hope it does.  I was thinking back to my first PC and the small amount of storage it had.  Back then I'd never have dreamed of TB storage.

The capacities sure have exploded in size. Far gone are the days when 2 megabytes felt big.
2023-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-2 05:13
I learned years back that with data storage that redundancy is good.

I found out the hard way.
2023-4-2
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

HGDC84 Posted at 4-2 07:06
The capacities sure have exploded in size. Far gone are the days when 2 megabytes felt big.

And it was portable and removable.

Had it times ago with OS and tools to use it in ramdisk like a live USB stick today.

2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-2 06:21
Sounds like that scenario covered all possibility catastrophes.

It was a goof fun exercise,  until I had to calculate the costs for the report.  
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 4-2 13:38
And it was portable and removable.

Had it times ago with OS and tools to use it in ramdisk like a live USB stick today.

Those two properties sure were handy then, and still are (though we do need "some" more capacity now )
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-2 07:06

Indeed they have.  Even my Galaxy 5 Watch has more memory and storage than my first PC had.  
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 06:18
Indeed they have.  Even my Galaxy 5 Watch has more memory and storage than my first PC had.

Yes, and i remember seeing a video where somebody installed a Windows 95 on his smartwatch XD It is kind of insane to see what those thing can do nowadays. I myself own a Pebble Time Steel, and while it is an older watch, I do think it's one of the best I've ever owned.
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-2 11:08
I found out the hard way.

I hear you and that was the hard lesson I learned also and one that will stick with me for sure.
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 06:33
I hear you and that was the hard lesson I learned also and one that will stick with me for sure.

And it will happen again for sure.
My backup drives are all double, but I also have USB sticks / SD cards that I use to transfer files and they can get damaged too.
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-3 00:01
It was a goof fun exercise,  until I had to calculate the costs for the report.

I bet that turned out to be a very time consuming exercise.  
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 06:28
Yes, and i remember seeing a video where somebody installed a Windows 95 on his smartwatch XD It is kind of insane to see what those thing can do nowadays. I myself own a Pebble Time Steel, and while it is an older watch, I do think it's one of the best I've ever owned.

Not sure that would be worth the effort but good for him making it work.  These new watches can come in real handy, especially if you are into fitness tracking.  
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 07:22
Not sure that would be worth the effort but good for him making it work.  These new watches came come in real handy, especially if you are into fitness tracking.

Yes, I have to admit that wouldn't be the first purpose for me to use a smartwatch for, either
I myself think the fitness tracking aspect may have taken a bit too big of a role in the current smartwatches (at the expense of other utilities), but that's only my opinion. What I like about the Pebble is the fact it is so versatile and customizable. Sure, you can have fitness apps in it, but way many other things too, such as messaging apps, weather information, small utility tools such as compass and water level tool, remote controls, ways to take notes, track what you eat and drink etc. And most of them completely free! My only worry is to find something that's anything close to it, yet I feel the next smartwatch I get will only have trackers for thirty different types of sports I won't even do.
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 06:38
And it will happen again for sure.
My backup drives are all double, but I also have USB sticks / SD cards that I use to transfer files and they can get damaged too.

I've had a couple of USB sticks to die on me.  Luckily, they were backed up to a hard drive.  
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 07:32
Yes, I have to admit that wouldn't be the first purpose for me to use a smartwatch for, either
I myself think the fitness tracking aspect may have taken a bit too big of a role in the current smartwatches (at the expense of other utilities), but that's only my opinion. What I like about the Pebble is the fact it is so versatile and customizable. Sure, you can have fitness apps in it, but way many other things too, such as messaging apps, weather information, small utility tools such as compass and water level tool, remote controls, ways to take notes, track what you eat and drink etc. And most of them completely free! My only worry is to find something that's anything close to it, yet I feel the next smartwatch I get will only have trackers for thirty different types of sports I won't even do.

I have to agree with you about all the bloatware they try to put on smartwatches these days. I like a bare bones OS and let me add Apps as I need them.   
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 07:33
I've had a couple of USB sticks to die on me.  Luckily, they were backed up to a hard drive.

I'm worried about the SD cards the most.
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 07:56
I'm worried about the SD cards the most.

To be honest I've only had 2 SD cards die on me but 5 or 6 USB sticks have died on me.  Fortunately they were all backed up prior to ceasing to work.  I guess I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to keeping data backed up.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 07:52
I have to agree with you about all the bloatware they try to put on smartwatches these days. I like a bare bones OS and let me add Apps as I need them.

Glad to agree with you about that.
2023-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 08:12
Glad to agree with you about that.

Good to hear.  I just hate OEMs pushing bloatware at us.  If we buy the product we should have the choice of what we put on it.  
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 08:17
Good to hear.  I just hate OEMs pushing bloatware at us.  If we buy the product we should have the choice of what we put on it.

Absolutely. For instance, I shudder the thought of buying a phone that has a Facebook app that you can't even uninstall. Infuriating to think about the used space robbed from users and the force-feeding of that social media trash
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-3 08:12
To be honest I've only had 2 SD cards die on me but 5 or 6 USB sticks have died on me.  Fortunately they were all backed up prior to ceasing to work.  I guess I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to keeping data backed up.

Same here, but those USB sticks are usually backup, where my SD cards contain stuff from the camera (which, at that time, is not backed up yet)
2023-4-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules