11258 30 2023-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111900 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

Just received my DJI Mini 3 Pro yesterday and spent the night updating it, charging batteries etc. The top and sides of the drone get very hot very quickly and that's without flying it.

Today I turned it on and within a few mins it as very hot again and I've still not had a single flight with it.

Does anyone know if this is normal for a Mini 3 Pro to be hot to the touch once it's turned on?

Cheers
2023-3-24
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

This is fine. For cooling it must fly. Or blow it with air.
2023-3-24
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

When perfoming time consuming updates (i.e. firmware plus 3 batteries), I put a small fan in front of the drone, just to be safe. In case of overheating it turns off, as far as I know.
2023-3-24
Use props
djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g
lvl.1
United Kingdom

_SoP_ Posted at 3-24 08:45
When perfoming time consuming updates (i.e. firmware plus 3 batteries), I put a small fan in front of the drone, just to be safe. In case of overheating it turns off, as far as I know.

Thank for the replies. I understood yesterday as I was updating it and charging batteries but today it was the same thing and I literally done nothing with it other than have it on.
2023-3-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

when the drone is flying, there is airflow and it's actually cooler when flying, in most cases.
2023-3-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g Posted at 3-24 08:55
Thank for the replies. I understood yesterday as I was updating it and charging batteries but today it was the same thing and I literally done nothing with it other than have it on.

As others have already said, for the Mini 3 Pro to keep its cool it needs airflow, this is done using the rear props pushing air into the rear vents and also done by forward momentum or wind into the airscoop behind the gimbal. If there is no airflow at all then there is no way for it to keep cool unless you place a fan in front of it.

In the early days, this was an issue and some were finding that the drone would shut down, since a later update i have not heard of any premature shut downs, that's not to say it won't if it gets too hot as its a protection mechanism. This in turn led to bricking of the drone or issues that needed resolving using the DJI Assistant software to reinstall the FW.

As you've already done your updates and it didn't shut down then there is nothing to worry about.

Have fun flying
2023-3-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g. Congrats on your new Mini 3 Pro! Please be advised that the DJI Mini 3 Pro is designed without a built-in fan, which can effectively reduce power consumption to make the flight time longer. Additionally, the new structural design with propellers that have been adjusted for a more aerodynamic flight, allows the drone to use the wind generated by the propellers to dissipate heat, ensuring good heat dissipation effects during the flight. If the drone is on while it stays on the ground or in standby mode for a long time, its temperature may continuously rise. Don't worry as DJI Mini 3 Pro comes with a built-in temperature control system that the drone can detect the current temperature and decide whether to automatically power off to prevent overheating. Hope this helps.
2023-3-24
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

From an electronics designer's perspective, I highly recommend placing at least one upright fan in front of the drone, blowing air towards the gimbal, in the vents behind it. Electronics that get very hot for many cycles and then get cold again is not a good idea. While power control helps keep the temperature below a level that will immediately damage the semiconductors, repeated exposure to high temperatures will shorten component life.
You can buy 5V USB powered PC fans that can be plugged into any USB charger. These fans can be bought on Amazon for example, but also on Aliexpress etc. Buy one and use it every time one of your drones is powered on while stationary.
2023-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini3Pro does get hot quite quickly whilst stationary. Once the props are turning it will be fine. Apart from doing updates, it's best to not leave it switched on unless intending to fly.
2023-3-25
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Everything said!      
2023-3-25
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-25 00:30
Mini3Pro does get hot quite quickly whilst stationary. Once the props are turning it will be fine. Apart from doing updates, it's best to not leave it switched on unless intending to fly.

How wonderful, an automatic power down  when overheating, and taking still photos over water.
Not  good at all.
2023-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 3-25 12:55
How wonderful, an automatic power down  when overheating, and taking still photos over water.
Not  good at all.

Well whilst you're hovering over water, the props should be turning - otherwise you're in serious trouble
2023-3-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 3-25 14:14
Well whilst you're hovering over water, the props should be turning - otherwise you're in serious trouble

Theyre prob referring to that time when someone's Mini 3 Pro overheated during a hover and landed there and then due to the failsafe and allegedly there was no horizontal motion allowed either unlike there is during critical low battery
2023-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-25 14:30
Theyre prob referring to that time when someone's Mini 3 Pro overheated during a hover and landed there and then due to the failsafe and allegedly there was no horizontal motion allowed either unlike there is during critical low battery

The OP doesn't appear to have even flown his drone yet, and is understandably concerned over something he considers abnormal. A number of people have now commented to reassure him that, more than likely, he has nothing to worry about.  A few cautious flights should soon convince him that the drone is much more reliable than he fears.
2023-3-25
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

It is necessary that a preliminary warning be displayed that the temperature is approaching a critical one, and the pilot will be able to save his drone by switching it to flight mode (if it hovered in one place) or land in a safer place.
2023-3-25
Use props
supergeo.ca
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263537 ft
Canada

If you are in "quick transfer mode", the Mini 3 Pro will not overheat.
2023-3-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 3-25 14:42
The OP doesn't appear to have even flown his drone yet, and is understandably concerned over something he considers abnormal. A number of people have now commented to reassure him that, more than likely, he has nothing to worry about.  A few cautious flights should soon convince him that the drone is much more reliable than he fears.

Agreed, as I said in reply #6.

Here in the UK, there are probably only a couple of days a year when this overheating might be an issue and that's only if it is a 100% windless day and they hover for an extended period.

I think i filmed the rally here in the village on a very hot day but i am sure that there was at least some wind, i did hover for some time and i had no overheating issues. I really would be surprised if anyone in the UK encounters this issue.
2023-3-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-26 18:42
Agreed, as I said in reply #6.

Here in the UK, there are probably only a couple of days a year when this overheating might be an issue and that's only if it is a 100% windless day and they hover for an extended period.

I hope that, by now, he's convinced that his worries are groundless.
2023-3-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

post deleted
2023-3-27
Use props
djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 3-26 23:17
I hope that, by now, he's convinced that his worries are groundless.

Was this a pun? haha

Thanks to everyone who replied. It is reassuring to know and appreciate the feedback.

I took it out for its first flight yesterday and seemed fine temperature wise once it landed.
2023-3-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_fdmuxUFq769g Posted at 3-28 01:17
Was this a pun? haha

Thanks to everyone who replied. It is reassuring to know and appreciate the feedback.

There you go
Glad to get some positive feedback from you.
I'm sure you'll have endless hours of fun with it now.
Time to start posting some images or video for us all to comment on
2023-3-28
Use props
imeg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 3-28 01:19
There you go
Glad to get some positive feedback from you.
I'm sure you'll have endless hours of fun with it now.

I had a Mini 2 previous to this so I'm not new to drone flying but I'm far from an expert and don't get much flying time really.

I just love gadgets and once I saw the Mini 3's remote controller with a screen and its ability to take portrait pics I just had to upgrade.
2023-3-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

imeg Posted at 3-28 01:25
I had a Mini 2 previous to this so I'm not new to drone flying but I'm far from an expert and don't get much flying time really.

I just love gadgets and once I saw the Mini 3's remote controller with a screen and its ability to take portrait pics I just had to upgrade.

I note you've managed to update your user name as well
2023-3-28
Use props
imeg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 3-28 01:37
I note you've managed to update your user name as well

Ha, I don't think I've used a forum in a long time so hadn't even looked in to it.

I'm now looking in to getting insurance cover as I anticipate using the drone more.  
2023-3-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

imeg Posted at 3-28 01:40
Ha, I don't think I've used a forum in a long time so hadn't even looked in to it.

I'm now looking in to getting insurance cover as I anticipate using the drone more.

FPV UK could be one to look at.

https://fpvuk.org/
2023-3-28
Use props
MABaumstark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 244987 ft
United States

Yes, this experience is normal considering the DJI Mini 3 Pro does not include a fan for cooling. When the unit is in standby mode and stationary (not in flight) for several minutes it will often become hot, however, after some time the temperature control system will power down the drone automatically to avoid overheating if it is not connected to a device; or it will prompt a low power state for the purpose of ''Quick Transfer'' mode if connected to a device which will reduce the temperature but maintain some functionality.
2023-6-1
Use props
djiuser_mzFKu8aEZZvI
lvl.1

United States

I live in The desert of Arizona. Do I need to worry about tiny mini3 shutting off mid flight??  And nose diving into the desert floor. It get very hot here. And I believe the max flight temp is 104°.
2023-7-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_mzFKu8aEZZvI Posted at 7-8 12:53
I live in The desert of Arizona. Do I need to worry about tiny mini3 shutting off mid flight??  And nose diving into the desert floor. It get very hot here. And I believe the max flight temp is 104°.

Hello there. The drone will not turn off midflight. However, it will shorten the flight time. A high-temperature environment will affect cell endurance.  And yes. The maximum flight temperature is 104°.
2023-7-11
Use props
faddy535
New

Pakistan

its not normal at least in 40c you will get at least a single flight then give some time to cool down
2023-9-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

faddy535 Posted at 9-14 03:52
its not normal at least in 40c you will get at least a single flight then give some time to cool down

It is a good idea to quote the person to whom you are replying, otherwise things can get confusing.
2023-9-14
Use props
djiuser_axRms9QtlDSW
lvl.1

United States

Pastime Posted at 2023-3-25 12:55
Not  good at all.

It will be fine.  Know your equipment.  If you know it will overheat if you let it hover in the hot sun over water for a length of time, then take a few photos, go for a quick run to cool it down and come back and take more photos. work within the confines of your equipment.
2-10 10:16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules