Terra now limiting how many photos it can reconstruct?
2701 7 2023-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since when did this become a thing? I processed several thousand photos on my laptop just 2 weeks ago. Now at home on a much more powerful desktop I'm getting this message? I'm on the latest studio driver from Nvidia on my 2080 super. I have double the ram as the laptop previously mentioned and now there's this limitation? You can capture well over 500 photos on a single M3E battery so this doesn't seem right. Once again DJI making a step in the wrong direction.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 234925.png
2023-3-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The Trial request for DJI Terra applied from the DJI Website does not support processing over 500 pictures.
The trial version is only used for functional tests. If you have the need to process considerable pictures, you can contact your dealer to obtain a no-limited activation code.
2023-3-24
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-24 23:08
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The Trial request for DJI Terra applied from the DJI Website does not support processing over 500 pictures.
The trial version is only used for functional tests. If you have the need to process considerable pictures, you can contact your dealer to obtain a no-limited activation code.
[view_image]

Back to Metashape I go. I tried to give Terra another shot but with this self-inflicted wound by DJI it's going to be a hard no.
2023-3-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 3-25 06:42
Back to Metashape I go. I tried to give Terra another shot but with this self-inflicted wound by DJI it's going to be a hard no.

Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know what difficulties you encountered except for the trial version?
2023-3-26
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-26 23:35
Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know what difficulties you encountered except for the trail version?

Well since you asked...

The software is actually really nice. It's about as simple to use as it can possibly get. It is also the fastest software I've found for photo reconstruction, by far. While Metashape produces a higher quality deliverable it takes 5-8 times as long to produce it.
It would be nice if it were easier to merge projects together. When doing a large site I like to use Terra while in the field. I'll collect a battery worth of photos and then dump that SD card into Terra and send it out again with a fresh battery. While it's collecting more photos I'll let Terra process the previous flight. By the end of the job I'll have 5 or more projects that I wish I could combine. Kinda how Metashape uses chunks.
I also with more drones could reconstruct in realtime like the Phantom 4 can. It has the same megapixel photos as the M3E but for some reason DJI doesn't support this feature. Not unless you count Flighthub 2 with cloud reconstruction. I'd rather not send client photos off to lord knows where for processing. DJI knows this is a concern because you offer a "local only data mode" on the RC. So why not offer a local only workflow for the M3E like is available on older drones of yours?
2023-3-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 3-27 18:08
Well since you asked...

The software is actually really nice. It's about as simple to use as it can possibly get. It is also the fastest software I've found for photo reconstruction, by far. While Metashape produces a higher quality deliverable it takes 5-8 times as long to produce it.

We will forward your feedback to our related department. Thank you for the support.
2023-3-30
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-30 01:12
We will forward your feedback to our related department. Thank you for the support.

So let me get this straight. If I'm looking to make a map with over 500 images using my own CPU power I'm not allowed to. Yet as long as I'm willing to send my photos off to DJI's FH2 servers, y'all will foot the bill to process several thousands of photos for me? I understand that developing software and renting AWS servers isn't cheap. So why has DJI decided to take away the ability for pilots to handle the burden of processing data? The only choice we have now, besides third party processing, is to handover our data and privacy to DJI for them to handle. Terra was great software but now you're limiting us to FH2 which is only half developed and without an internet connection 100% useless.
2023-4-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 4-1 17:21
So let me get this straight. If I'm looking to make a map with over 500 images using my own CPU power I'm not allowed to. Yet as long as I'm willing to send my photos off to DJI's FH2 servers, y'all will foot the bill to process several thousands of photos for me? I understand that developing software and renting AWS servers isn't cheap. So why has DJI decided to take away the ability for pilots to handle the burden of processing data? The only choice we have now, besides third party processing, is to handover our data and privacy to DJI for them to handle. Terra was great software but now you're limiting us to FH2 which is only half developed and without an internet connection 100% useless.

We got a response from our engineers about your feedback. At present, DJI Map literally does not support project merging. If multiple 2D reconstruction tasks are generated, you can use software such as global_mapper to merge them later. For 3D reconstruction, you can set the same coordinate origin and import them into third-party software to display them together.

As we explained, the trial version is only used for functional tests. If you have the need to process considerable pictures, you can contact your dealer to obtain a no-limited activation code.
2023-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules