2000 49 2015-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-23 09:15
I'm not surprised at the comments on this thread with everyone showing concerned for a fellow DJI pi ...

He got some mad distance and was so engrossed in flight he didn't realize how far he was. I am amazed at the distance with the stock setup. 13 k feet is way out there. I am sure he learned his lesson (the hard way, almost), and a ton of great tips on what to do if future problems pop up during flight.
2015-8-22
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

So right Jim.  We call the term so engrossed in flight, "Pilot Error."
2015-8-22
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

richardmartin Posted at 2015-8-23 07:41
spheasant1,

Flight logs that are recoded on the tablet.  

Very much appreciate this information from you and Jim!
2015-8-22
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

richardmartin Posted at 2015-8-23 08:50
Successful flight tonight, no apparent damage apart from the props.  Dodged a bullet!

Very impressive recovery....looks like you are back in business and all is good.   Check one in the DJI column for their safety procedures.
2015-8-22
Use props
richardmartin
lvl.2

United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-23 09:15
I'm not surprised at the comments on this thread with everyone showing concerned for a fellow DJI pi ...

I definitely learned a lessen, to not fly so far.  Seriously didn't realize just how far I was.  

I've read that you should stay within line of sight and keep an eye on the bird, but I don't see how that's possible more than a block or so away from where you're flying from.  Seriously, how can you have a range of a mile and expect to keep a visual on the aircraft?
2015-8-22
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

I never mentioned anything about line of sight or keeping the DJI in sight.  
I'am glad you found your DJI.  
Let's call it what it really is, you violated one of the most sacred rules of flying, thou shall not run out of fuel/battery.  The facts set you free as Joe Friday use to say, "just the facts ma'am."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Friday  Probably no one remembers poor Joe and he never had a DJI3P!
2015-8-22
Use props
richardmartin
lvl.2

United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-23 11:14
I never mentioned anything about line of sight or keeping the DJI in sight.  
I'am glad you found yo ...

No, I've read that rule on the FAA regs, keep the aircraft in sight.  QUOTE FAA:  "Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times"

I agree about not overflying the battery, but DJI said "If the Intelligent Flight Battery is running low, or your Phantom 3 loses the connection with your remote controller for any reason, the aircraft will automatically return to the takeoff point and land safely."

Now, fortunately, I have the experience (aka: mistake) and know better!  But, it was fun going 2.5 miles (at least until my heart sank when I heard that dreaded message).
2015-8-22
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

This is the best news I've heard all day!  After a pretty crappy day at work, I come home late and hop on here to relax!  I followed this thread and I'm so SUPER happy that everything turned out for you on a positive note!  
2015-8-22
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

richardmartin Posted at 2015-8-22 21:14
Yes, and I should have known that since I had played with the controls while in an automatic landin ...

Super nice , congratulations. Must be a relief
2015-8-22
Use props
phansen2246
New

United States

If you have the track on the google map there must be a way to get the GPS lat & long without having the video with the caption turned on?
2015-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules