Gimble motor sound increasing when pitching upwards
796 11 2023-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fell Wanderer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15807 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys, I noticed something unusual when pitching the gimble higher than 0 degrees on my Mini 3 Pro. When the camera is at 0 degrees and tilting down to -90 degrees, there is little or no motor noise present. But when I pitch from 0 degrees to + maximum pitch, the motor makes a louder noise and gets increasingly louder until + maximum pitch is reached.  It seems to me the gimble motor is having to work harder and therefore louder to reach a higher pitch. This might be normal behaviour,  I just haven't noticed it before as I'm usual flying the drone rather than playing with the controls whilst being on the ground.  The footage from the camera looks ok and is silky smooth during gimble operation so maybe I just need reassurance the drone is ok. Edit: If I lighty touch the gimble while its pitched at + maximum, the sound decreases and nearly goes away.   Thanks in advance, Damian.

2023-3-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please bring the unit to a quiet environment and please record the sound on the gimbal for us to identify if this is normal or not? After powering on the aircraft and waiting until the gimbal's auto check is complete, record a video of at least 10s at 20cm above the gimbal without obstructing the recording device's microphone and send it to us. Lastly, did you receive an error message on the DJI Fly app? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-3-27
Use props
Fell Wanderer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you for your quick reply, I have uploaded a short video with audio showing the gimble noise. The DJI Fly app isn't showing any error messages.

Thank you,

Damian
2023-3-28
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

Wow that sounds bad.
2023-3-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Did you remove the filter?
2023-3-28
Use props
Fell Wanderer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I leave the ND filter on to protect the lens but the noise still persists with the original lens cover on.
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_scS2dI5su1TU
New

United States

I had the exact same problem, but going down. any solutions for your?
2023-4-3
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Fell Wanderer Posted at 3-28 02:47
Thank you for your quick reply, I have uploaded a short video with audio showing the gimble noise. The DJI Fly app isn't showing any error messages.
https://youtu.be/8YgomsBb7Qo

That to me sound like the noise of the servo in the gimbal... Servo make that noise when they are about to fail.... Definitely not normal...
2023-4-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Fell Wanderer Posted at 3-28 02:47
https://youtu.be/8YgomsBb7Qo

Hi, Damian. We're sorry for the inconvenience. If the abnormal sound reappears even after restarting the aircraft, we're afraid you will need to send the drone back for further checking. You may submit a repair request at (repair.dji.com) or contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com) for further assistance in submitting the case. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-4-4
Use props
Fell Wanderer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you everyone for confirming the gimble noise is a fault.  I am a bit reluctant to send it back for repair because, apart from the noise, it seems to be working fine at the moment, although I understand it could fail at any time. Can I please ask some advice, I have DJI Care Refresh 2 year plan which started in May 2022. Would it be better if I continue to use the drone until it breaks down and becomes completely unusable, rather than sending it back now?. Basically get as much use from the drone until I take advantage of the replacement / repair service?

Thank you,

Damian.
2023-4-4
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Fell Wanderer Posted at 4-4 03:48
Thank you everyone for confirming the gimble noise is a fault.  I am a bit reluctant to send it back for repair because, apart from the noise, it seems to be working fine at the moment, although I understand it could fail at any time. Can I please ask some advice, I have DJI Care Refresh 2 year plan which started in May 2022. Would it be better if I continue to use the drone until it breaks down and becomes completely unusable, rather than sending it back now?. Basically get as much use from the drone until I take advantage of the replacement / repair service?

Thank you,

If you ever have been near a servo in a RC car of Heli, that is under strain at the End Of Travel or when a digital servo cannot longer hold a fix point due to wear or over heating, you would have recognise that sound instantly...

And that bring me to the next question. Does anybody here know what the servos used in the DJI mini are rated at? Reason for asking is that I have seen available different filters and even a wide lens. But they do add weight to the camera and without knowing what the rating for the servo are, it could (and I'm not saying it will) lead to premature failure of the servos in the gymbal...

2023-4-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Fell Wanderer Posted at 4-4 03:48

Thank you,

Hi there. Sorry for the late response. We highly recommend you send the unit in for proper diagnostics. You may contact our team at https://www.dji.com/support . After the damage assessment and found out that the issue is caused by a manufacturing defect, if the unit is under warranty, it will be covered by the manufacturing warranty. However, if the issue is caused by a user error, the DJI Care Refresh will take part in the process. Should you have other inquiries or help with your existing case, please let us know. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules