High Heat While Discharging Battery - Normal?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I did a slow discharge of a P3P battery today by plugging the battery into the P3, turning it on, and just letting it sit next to me on the table top while I played with the camera settings (no motors spinning).  At one point, I picked up the P3 and noticed it was really hot.  The two hottest spots were the top of the shell under the dji logo, and the VPS sensor - I almost couldn't keep my hand on the VPS sensor it was so hot.  It never gets that hot while flying - even after 4 batteries non-stop.

Just curious, is that normal?  I got thinking that maybe when flying the wind helps keeps it cool, and that today, it was just sitting stationary while turned on for maybe 45 minutes or so.

> P3P
> iPad Mini 2 wifi/cellular
> All current firmware
> IMU calibrated successfully recently on flat surface using spirit level
> VPS has never been turned on - confirmed cause I looked at it while playing with the camera
> Everything stock
> One of the lucky birds - no issues.

2015-8-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, they get hot even sitting idle, while turned on.
Perhaps more so, if the motors aren't armed, the Phantom 3 battery will get hot while discharging.
I noticed this same phenomena,  while merely playing within the SIM program.
I place my running Phantom 3 Pro' upon a cooling fan now, to help it stay cooler, while engaged.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-21
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-22 14:34
Yes, they get hot even sitting idle, while turned on.
Even if the motors aren't armed, the Phantom  ...

Thanks for confirming.  I knew that spare cooling fan in the garage would come in handy someday.
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

hey bud, very good idea to put the fan on a turned on but not moving p3 . the killer of all electronics is heat, well theres water too,!!
2015-8-21
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-22 15:01
hey bud, very good idea to put the fan on a turned on but not moving p3 . the killer of all electron ...

... and sweaters and fishing line and t-shirts ...
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-22 15:19
... and sweaters and fishing line and t-shirts ...

ok i get the static from sweaters and maybe t-shirts, so im gonna fall for it and ask
why fishing line?
2015-8-21
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-22 15:29
ok i get the static from sweaters and maybe t-shirts, so im gonna fall for it and ask
why fishing  ...

OMG ... you never saw that video of the fisherman on the end of a pier getting pissed off at an Inspire buzzing about, and literally casting his line right at the Inspire and hooking it?

Someone find the link and reply.  lol
2015-8-21
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-22 15:29
why fishing  ...

Here ya go .... http://www.cnet.com/news/see-hot ... rone-in-mid-flight/

2015-8-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I also place my 100w charger on the fan, while charging my four batteries.
Heck, I even place my radio controller on the fan while it's charging.

If it gets warm, I chill it...  
I must cool my batteries down before charging them too, but I let them cool off, on their own.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-22
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-22 15:45
OMG ... you never saw that video of the fisherman on the end of a pier getting pissed off at an In ...

oh yea the idiot, again from your beautiful state!! whats wrong with californians, ud think with all the sun and hot women walking around half naked, men and some women would be a bit more relaxed and happy?
2015-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules