Season changing Timelapse/Flight with Waypoints?| DJI Mavic 3
1113 22 2023-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LuciMain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 934327 ft
Switzerland

I would really like to do a Season Timelapse or other Flights (for example Morning, Midday, Evening, Night) blended together as clean as possible. How would you do it? Setup a Waypoint flight? Is that exact enough for clean transition blends?

2023-3-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive been playing with that over days rather than months,  I set up a hyperlapse with two points,   made sure raw is turned on and then run the hyperlapse,  let it take a couple of shots and then cancel it.   Then back at the computer I load up the images its taken in Photoshop in a single file and then align layers,  crop and then export layers,   Those images then go into my editing software and a transition between them.   Here's a really short example

2023-3-30
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 3-30 00:11
Ive been playing with that over days rather than months,  I set up a hyperlapse with two points,   made sure raw is turned on and then run the hyperlapse,  let it take a couple of shots and then cancel it.   Then back at the computer I load up the images its taken in Photoshop in a single file and then align layers,  crop and then export layers,   Those images then go into my editing software and a transition between them.   Here's a really short example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJ1FCJ8B2M

Thanks!I would like to do something like this with muchbmovement. At the moment im concerned about if the waypointflights are exact enough for a clean transition but i think ill just try it
2023-4-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-1 22:19
Thanks!I would like to do something like this with muchbmovement. At the moment im concerned about if the waypointflights are exact enough for a clean transition but i think ill just try it

They are not that exact,    GPS and compass sadly isn't,  but if you stay back a bit from the target you can align the layers in photoshop or other software and then crop.   
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 00:01
They are not that exact,    GPS and compass sadly isn't,  but if you stay back a bit from the target you can align the layers in photoshop or other software and then crop.

Ok ill try it with 5.1k and some post cropping/reframing
2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-2 00:13
Ok ill try it with 5.1k and some post cropping/reframing

Save the raws too,  they can be more easily manipulated.  
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 00:27
Save the raws too,  they can be more easily manipulated.

I usually do film in d-log or HDR...
2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-2 00:29
I usually do film in d-log or HDR...

I normally use the hyperlapse feature to grab the frames,   
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 00:34
I normally use the hyperlapse feature to grab the frames,

Ah yea then it makes sense with the RAW... but i would like to do it with 30fps video
2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-2 00:35
Ah yea then it makes sense with the RAW... but i would like to do it with 30fps video

Not sure how to do the align layers trick with videos. but Im sure theres a way out there.
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 00:37
Not sure how to do the align layers trick with videos. but Im sure theres a way out there.

I thought about it:

Im going outside in an hour or two;

Im going to set up a waypoint mission. Land. Off -> On and fly it with 5600k -> land -> off and walk around a little to have a different starting location -> start and fly it with lets say 2500k and than another time landing,walking,starting and flying with lets say 7000k. Maybe thats enough that I can test if that would work over some days/months.

What do you think?
2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-2 00:42
I thought about it:

Im going outside in an hour or two;

That would be a perfect test.  
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 00:51
That would be a perfect test.

Im going to try this.
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

Okay I did the test but: Is the Mavic calculating the hight from the startpoint and not above ground? Gimbal direction etc was really good and same for the flight path but the hight was clearly wrong.... but im going to put everything in Davinci and watch it.
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

As you can see the height was quite bad matched...

Could that be because of the hight difference (about 1-2meters) of the start point?

Edit: with the same takeoff point the altitude was very very similar and only the speed of the clips was not exactly the same (was a little different amount of wind)
2023-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-2 02:49
Okay I did the test but: Is the Mavic calculating the hight from the startpoint and not above ground? Gimbal direction etc was really good and same for the flight path but the hight was clearly wrong.... but im going to put everything in Davinci and watch it.

AGL is always relevant to the take off point.
2023-4-2
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 23:28
AGL is always relevant to the take off point.

Oh... so i should takeoff at the exakt same place if im gonna do the season timelapse?
2023-4-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LuciMain Posted at 4-3 05:58
Oh... so i should takeoff at the exakt same place if im gonna do the season timelapse?

At least somewhere the same height.  
2023-4-3
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi LuciMain,

the waypoint function works quite well (accurately) in my experience.  
It is very important that you always stand in the same place when you start.  
It is particularly about the height of this "starting point" because everything is measured relative to its height!  
It should also be flown when there is little wind, otherwise the flight path will shift a bit, making it more difficult if you want to achieve good transitions in the cuts of the different flights...   
2023-4-4
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 4-3 23:21
At least somewhere the same height.

Ah okay! Thats good to know!
2023-4-4
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

frankymusik Posted at 4-4 00:18
Hi LuciMain,

the waypoint function works quite well (accurately) in my experience.  

Thank you for the explanation! Did you use gimbal directions for keeping the subject framed or do you use POIs?
2023-4-4
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

LuciMain Posted at 4-4 02:43
Thank you for the explanation! Did you use gimbal directions for keeping the subject framed or do you use POIs?

Yes, I had actually used POIs, you can see that very well in the "said" video, I think...

And please excuse me for bringing up the topic with the height of the starting point again, although it has already been discussed in detail in this thread...
It's really very important though, unless you're in a very "flat area" anyway...
2023-4-4
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Switzerland

frankymusik Posted at 4-4 06:37
Yes, I had actually used POIs, you can see that very well in the "said" video, I think...

And please excuse me for bringing up the topic with the height of the starting point again, although it has already been discussed in detail in this thread...

Okay i should try again with POI (i was flying over 8km today but not with waypoints. only for fun and practice)
2023-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules