844 12 2023-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nt8oiNTciYhI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330102 ft
United States

M3T crabwalking issue.jpg
Anyone find their M3T flies on the correct flight path in the orthomosaic mode but the gimbal (not the drone itself) faces 90 degrees down as it should but it turns (rolls) a bit and takes the photos at an angle instead of straight down the path?  Right before it does that it shows the message that the gimbal has reached its limit.  I've tried restarting the drone and recalibrating the gimbal but no luck.  This is a new problem - it worked fine until recently.  My only workaround has been to tap the 'pause mission' button on the screen when it reaches the end of a row and displays the error message.  When I tap 'resume' on the screen the drone goes back a little to the break point and resumes the mission and takes the photos correctly.  I have to do this every time it reaches the end of a row.  Kinda defeats the purpose of automated flight.

2023-3-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi nt8oiNTciYhI,

I have seen similar behavior on my Mavic 3 (consumer , not enterprise). The way I solved this was to re-calibrate compass, IMU and gimbal on flat surface. That fixed it for me. Hope this helps.

Take care, Mike.
2023-3-29
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

1/Clean Gimbal with dry compressed air
2/Firmware refresh
3/Gimbal /Compass / IMU / RC  calibration

If the problem persists, open a support ticket or go to your dealer and send the drone under warranty.
2023-3-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why recalibrate the compass?
If your compass wasn't properly calibrated, you wouldn't be able to fly normally?
When people suggest recalibrating the compass or recalibrating every thing, they usually have no idea what caused a problem or what might fix it.
2023-3-29
Use props
nt8oiNTciYhI
lvl.1
United States

While I agree that a poorly calibrated compass should prevent normal flight that did the trick for me.  What was frustrating for me was the fact that the only instructions the manual provides is this, which wasn't much help.  After a number of attempts I finally found that portion of the app that allowed me to calibrate the compass in the drone itself (you'd think the instructions would have shown that).
2023-3-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

nt8oiNTciYhI Posted at 3-29 13:58
While I agree that a poorly calibrated compass should prevent normal flight that did the trick for me.  What was frustrating for me was the fact that the only instructions the manual provides is this, which wasn't much help.  After a number of attempts I finally found that portion of the app that allowed me to calibrate the compass in the drone itself (you'd think the instructions would have shown that).[view_image]

that did the trick for me.
What trick was that?

The instructions you show are for calibrating the compass that's inside the contrioller.
This has nothing to do with the drone or how it flies and only affects the directional display on the controller.
It's 100% irrelevant to the drone and there's no way it would have affected the issue you are posting about.
2023-3-29
Use props
nt8oiNTciYhI
lvl.1
United States

True.  I totally agree.  The only instructions that came up with the search 'compass' in the owners manual was the screen grab I showed, which indeed has nothing to do with the compass in the drone itself, which is why I stated that it wasn't much help.  What was helpful, eventually, was finally finding on my own the part of the Pilot 2 app that does calibrate the compass in the drone (which the instructions in the manual don't address).  Once I found that part of the app (which was a bit easier to find in the Fly app and the original DJI app for the original Mavic Pro) I was able to calibrate the compass in the drone, and that 'did the trick for me'.
2023-3-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 3-29 13:51
Why recalibrate the compass?
If your compass wasn't properly calibrated, you wouldn't be able to fly normally?
When people suggest recalibrating the compass or recalibrating every thing, they usually have no idea what caused a problem or what might fix it.
It is a generic procedure.  At least it's done, and maybe that's enough to solve the problem.  Anyway you have to do it because when contacting the support it is the first question they will ask.  

I already had a similar problem, it was not the gimbal but the whole drone which rotates on yaw.  The trouble came from the radio joystick.  Nothing to do with the compass.

But on the support chat the first question was did you crash the drone?  the second have you tried to calibrate IMU and compass?

So, you can answer firmly that yes it is done and that does not change anything.  Then you go to the after-sales service stage.

It's the logic of DJI, employees have a script they follow it.  You know it as well as I do from reading the mods' replies on the forum.

2023-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-30 09:31
It is a generic procedure.  At least it's done, and maybe that's enough to solve the problem.  Anyway you have to do it because when contacting the support it is the first question they will ask.  

I already had a similar problem, it was not the gimbal but the whole drone which rotates on yaw.  The trouble came from the radio joystick.  Nothing to do with the compass.

It is a generic procedure.  At least it's done, and maybe that's enough to solve the problem.
It's ridiculous and comes from people not understanding anything about what compass calibration actually does and when it's (very rarely) needed.
It cannot solve a problem that it isn't responsible for.

That DJI scripts suggest it is no surprise.
DJI manuals for mearly a decade, contained nothing but misinformation about compass calibration.
2023-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

nt8oiNTciYhI Posted at 3-30 08:01
True.  I totally agree.  The only instructions that came up with the search 'compass' in the owners manual was the screen grab I showed, which indeed has nothing to do with the compass in the drone itself, which is why I stated that it wasn't much help.  What was helpful, eventually, was finally finding on my own the part of the Pilot 2 app that does calibrate the compass in the drone (which the instructions in the manual don't address).  Once I found that part of the app (which was a bit easier to find in the Fly app and the original DJI app for the original Mavic Pro) I was able to calibrate the compass in the drone, and that 'did the trick for me'.

I was able to calibrate the compass in the drone, and that 'did the trick for me'.
What was the "trick" that it?
What problem did it solve?

2023-3-30
Use props
nt8oiNTciYhI
lvl.1
United States

The problem was the crabwalking during orthomosaic flights as I described in my initial post above.  What solved it was calibrating the compass in the drone.  Why?  I don't know, but it worked when I tried it yesterday.
2023-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

nt8oiNTciYhI Posted at 3-30 17:57
The problem was the crabwalking during orthomosaic flights as I described in my initial post above.  What solved it was calibrating the compass in the drone.  Why?  I don't know, but it worked when I tried it yesterday.

How much had you flown the drone before noticing this issue?
If there was a problem that compass calibration solved, the drone shouldn't have been flying normally.
2023-3-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 3-30 14:05
It is a generic procedure.  At least it's done, and maybe that's enough to solve the problem.
It's ridiculous and comes from people not understanding anything about what compass calibration actually does and when it's (very rarely) needed.
It cannot solve a problem that it isn't responsible for.

Lab, I understand but I'm still skeptical.
Do you know if there is somewhere and publicly accessible the architecture of DJI drones?
Because I don't see any other way the gimbal can get its azimuth. I'm talking about the value recorded in the meta data.

2023-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules