Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Weird Compass Issues
2122 13 2014-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cheong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2778799 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi All
I had a weird compass issues since I had my P2V+ V3.0, some time the apps will ask me to calibrate my compass, but if I move the phantom  few inch away or higher by lifting it up, the ask to calibrate compass issues gone on the apps, but if I shift it again it will come back again on my screen and ask me to calibrate my compass, I do not know why, if I try to calibrate the compass most of the time it will fail, because of this I always felt that the phantom is drifting away some time.

Anyone have this issue as well ? if not can advise how can I troubleshoot this or what is the caused of this ?

Note : I have no issue with the GPS if the apps does not ask me to calibrate the compass.
2014-12-6
Use props
taklingr
lvl.1

Greece

My friend, noticed this because thus lost a phantom 2 vision + the sea. I lost the signal and another landed in the sea. I looked at the video below, straightening you solve the problem.

2014-12-6
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

I used to get the same warning you are getting.  I discovered that I calibrated the compass with the APP while the Phantom was sitting on top of my computer.  I had to recalibrate the compass while it was sitting on my wooden desk and no more problems.  Calibrating the compass while it is a foot or 2 away from metal, and not sitting on top of it helped.  I also did the IMU compass calibration while on the wooden desk.
2014-12-6
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-7 00:50
I used to get the same warning you are getting.  I discovered that I calibrated the compass with the ...

SOP would be to calibrate compass on every use........
I use the manual / RC way to perform a calibration, then go onto app setup.
Calibrate it in its take off spot....
2014-12-6
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-12-7 02:25
SOP would be to calibrate compass on every use........
I use the manual / RC way to perform a cali ...

Always do the compass calibration ("compass dance" I call it) if you are taking off in a different spot than you did the last time.  I calibrate with the APP about once a week, but every time I take off, I calibrate it in the take off spot.
2014-12-6
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
  • >>>
Singapore

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-7 03:49
Always do the compass calibration ("compass dance" I call it) if you are taking off in a different ...

I thought the recommendation was NOT to calibrate the compass at every location except for location far away from your last flight place.

What my issue is when he apps show compass calibration require, I done the following and it solve the problem but really weird

1. Shift the phantom a few inches away or lift it higher from the ground and fly off from my case, the apps will not ask me to calibrate any more. I can get my home point and GPS without problem

2. If I try to re-calibrate most of the time it fail, so sometime i just pack and go to another place 10 to 15 KM away, when I am at the new location, without doing anything (bear in mind, I fail my previous calibration) the apps does not ask me to calibrate the compass, and likewise when this happen I can get my home point and GPS satellite without any issue.
I calibrate the compass by using the apps

Does anyone have this compass issue like mine or can explain why ?

Appreciate some help here
2014-12-6
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've never seen that recommendation and as many always calibrate (even when I am flying at the same location as the prior flight just in case something changed in the area to alter the compass readings.

After any update I sit the Phantom on a very level surface and perform a full calibration.  RC Assist, calibration.  Vision Assist IMU and control calibrations.  I figure over doing it is better than the alternative.

If the app tells you to calibrate, you are really off and even before then you are likely off just a little.

If the calibration is failing; are you sure you are doing it correctly?
2014-12-6
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
  • >>>
Singapore

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-7 08:46
I've never seen that recommendation and as many always calibrate (even when I am flying at the same  ...

I follow this videos for calibrating the compass

2014-12-6
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The 1st video was being done incorrectly; the second one however is correct.
2014-12-6
Use props
jackson.zhong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51243 ft
  • >>>
China

cheong Posted at 2014-12-7 10:56
I follow this videos for calibrating the compass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkFo9OHOTk4&feat ...

Both videos are correct.
2014-12-8
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
  • >>>
Singapore

anybody have the same issue with me ?
2014-12-8
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

The first video is wrong, the camera should be facing the ground and not the sky.
2014-12-8
Use props
jackson.zhong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51243 ft
  • >>>
China

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-8 19:11
The first video is wrong, the camera should be facing the ground and not the sky.

Just try by yourself and u will get it.
2014-12-8
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jackson.zhong@d Posted at 2014-12-9 09:24
Just try by yourself and u will get it.

Check the manual.
2014-12-8
Use props
Advanced