How is Find My Drone, meant to work.
910 11 2023-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yummy fur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1239488 ft

Australia

I'd like to know for sure how this feature is mean to work in two different scenarios.
1. Where the drone has crashed and the battery has disconnected and...
2. Where the drone has landed and flipped over with motors stopped but is still transmitting a signal.

When I connect the goggles v2 to the Fly app, and go to Find My Drone, what should I see in each of the above cases. Do I need to download anything from the goggles to the phone before opening 'find my drone'. I say this because I have been testing this and trying to work it out and it appears that when I last leave the drone, and the 'find my drone' location do not match, even after downloading the flight records to the phone.

2023-3-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a very helpful video and should answer your questions.

2023-3-30
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

For scenario 2 I suggest flip after crash, you can assign it to a button.
2023-3-30
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

So, if I hook up to the Fly app, is it going to force me to update any software before using the "Find My Drone" feature?  I don't want to do that.
2023-3-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, yummy fur. Thank you for reaching out. No need to download anything. To use the Find My Drone feature in the DJI Fly app for a mobile phone, ensure that the DJI FPV Goggles V2 is connected to the DJI Fly app for a mobile phone and that the app version is at least 1.3.0.

Path for Find My Drone in DJI FPV
(1) DJI FPV Goggles V2: Setting - Safety - Find My Drone.
(2) DJI Fly app: Launch the DJI Fly app - Profile - Find My Drone.

This is what you will see once you enter the Find My Drone screen:

1: Indicate the location of the aircraft owner.
2: The last coordinate system position when the aircraft was lost. (This location records the coordinate system position of the aircraft in the last connection communication.)
3: If the aircraft still has power and the communication is normal, tap Start. The light will flash, and the aircraft will beep.
4: If the aircraft still has power and the communication is normal, tap and view the image information of the aircraft’s current position to help determine the aircraft's position.
5: Tap and find the aircraft using another map on the mobile phone.
6: The last coordinate system of the flyaway aircraft. (It records the coordinate system information of the aircraft in the last communication.)

If the drone has crashed and the battery has disconnected, the latitude and longitude coordinates are shown here in the lower left corner, but they are not the actual position of the aircraft.

Hope this helps.
2023-3-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Steelart99 Posted at 3-30 14:27
So, if I hook up to the Fly app, is it going to force me to update any software before using the "Find My Drone" feature?  I don't want to do that.

Hi, Steelart99. Which specific software is it asking you to update?
2023-3-30
Use props
yummy fur
lvl.2

Australia

OK Thanks for your reply, got it. I'll make sure I have a data cable on hand. However it would still be nice to have to ability to interrogate a connected aircraft in order to find it's current coordinates just as an extra level of safety in case you're in the bush and wouldn't you know it, someone took the cable out of the bag, or the cable is not working, in a situation like this the aircraft has already recorded it's lat and long, it is written into the
srt file and it's shown in the goggles. Point is that the information could very easily simply be broadcast, this should be possible rather than needing to rely and two more pieces of equipment that may fail.

My biggest bugbear though by far is not being able to switch between different custom settings in the drone, like you can do in the sim. In the drone it's only one at a time.
2023-3-30
Use props
yummy fur
lvl.2

Australia

OK I see and understand how the Find My Drone work in the Fly app, and I see that as long as a user has their, phone and it's charged and it has the fly app on it, and they have the correct data cable, that we can plug it in and see the co-ordinates of the drone.

But if we can make the drone flash and beep, and we can also see the image through the camera, that means we have two way communication between the goggles and the drone, and we already know that the drone can broadcast it's current position via the fly app. So the question is why isn't there a button in the Safety section of the goggles v2 menu where you can read the co-ordinates.

See how quick and easy and pain free it could be to get the exact co ordinates in an emergency, how all the information is right at your fingertips, and you can send and receive all this info from the drone but it won't let you see it's current co-ordinates.  It's a simple oversight but it can and has caused me considerable pain in the recent past when I have not had my data cable with me.
2023-4-1
Use props
djiuser_Qs9F3SVn4BzJ
New

United States

I crashed my new FPV 5 minutes into my first flight!  The Camera view before loss only plays back 4 seconds of video, a clear image of the sky after crashing, nothing more.  I understand this is supposed to be 30 seconds long, not 4 seconds.  Can anyone help me receive the full 30 seconds of camera view before loss?  Thanks for any help on this costly error.
2023-5-9
Use props
yummy fur
lvl.2

Australia

djiuser_Qs9F3SVn4BzJ Posted at 5-9 17:58
I crashed my new FPV 5 minutes into my first flight!  The Camera view before loss only plays back 4 seconds of video, a clear image of the sky after crashing, nothing more.  I understand this is supposed to be 30 seconds long, not 4 seconds.  Can anyone help me receive the full 30 seconds of camera view before loss?  Thanks for any help on this costly error.

Fortunately you can obtain a brand spanking new replacement drone (no battery though) for under $270 USD on eBay with free postage. In the meantime you can still use the DJI Virtual Fly app with your goggles and controller.

Were you trying to fly in Manual mode? or were you using a motion controller stick controller? If the goggles had an SD card in then it can be set to automatically start recording on take off, which you should always do anyway. Have you checked
2023-5-9
Use props
djiuser_Qs9F3SVn4BzJ
New

United States

yummy fur Posted at 5-9 18:26
Fortunately you can obtain a brand spanking new replacement drone (no battery though) for under $270 USD on eBay with free postage. In the meantime you can still use the DJI Virtual Fly app with your goggles and controller.

Were you trying to fly in Manual mode? or were you using a motion controller stick controller? If the goggles had an SD card in then it can be set to automatically start recording on take off, which you should always do anyway. Have you checked

I was only in sport mode but had spent 20 hours flying in rate mode on the sim.  That's what screwed me up, 1/4 throttle is actually descending, I was using the stick controller.  I did not use an sd card in the goggles, never again.  It was my first flight!  High price to pay
2023-5-9
Use props
yummy fur
lvl.2

Australia

djiuser_Qs9F3SVn4BzJ Posted at 5-9 20:08
I was only in sport mode but had spent 20 hours flying in rate mode on the sim.  That's what screwed me up, 1/4 throttle is actually descending, I was using the stick controller.  I did not use an sd card in the goggles, never again.  It was my first flight!  High price to pay

You know I tried to fly in N mode with the sticks a couple of days ago, and I find it almost impossible. M mode feels completely natural, even though it feels impossible at first. This is why you should get yourself the motion controller and just use your sticks for M mode only in the Virtual Flight sim at first, and later in the real world when you're ready.
2023-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules