2136 12 2023-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
First Officer
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

This DJI Mini 3 Pro beginners video will show you if you need an ND filter to create motion blur in your footage by adapting the 180-degree rule. You will learn that it means less than what you have been told, and my point is there are many other areas where you could improve your skills and get much better results without trying to hit a shutter speed that is double the frame rate.  

Watch this and tell me if using ND filters is worth the hassle:

My recommendation: Don't start by wasting money on ND filters; this applies to any fixed aperture DJI drone, such as the DJI Mini 3 series or DJI Mini 2.

2023-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Exactly my point!
Thanks for making and sharing!
2023-3-30
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Filters can also be used well for shooting water
2023-3-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great comparison video Henrik.    I normally leave an ND16 on just as a protection for the camera lens.  I keep the histogram on for exposure consistency but probably don't need to do this because Auto should compensate.  
2023-3-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Useful info Henrik. Thanks for your efforts.
2023-3-30
Use props
Henrik Olsen
First Officer
  • >>>
Denmark

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-30 09:23
Great comparison video Henrik.    I normally leave an ND16 on just as a protection for the camera lens.  I keep the histogram on for exposure consistency but probably don't need to do this because Auto should compensate.

around the same strategy I use
2023-3-30
Use props
Henrik Olsen
First Officer
  • >>>
Denmark

Drone.Hunter Posted at 3-30 06:20
Filters can also be used well for shooting water

Indeed, but not the pure ND's
2023-3-30
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you aren't right on the ground, recording video and moving very abruptly / and or quickly it matters very little as you allude to. If you are flying very high from the terrain e.g. say over 50 metres, the difference isn't really noticeable as to motion blur in video apart from maybe to a very seasoned video geek. As you explain, on a drone like this with a fixed aperture it is a bit of a faff using them when the light changes. Since I only do photography for most of the time, it matters even less...
2023-3-30
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/a-guide-to-neutral-density-filters
2023-3-30
Use props
Jake. A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Still using Nd filters. Ive seen massive improvements to my footage when using NDs
2023-3-30
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Yes, still worth the hassle. You don't need 6 like some packages, 3 are more than enough to put you in that 180 degree ballpark, but still necessary.
2023-3-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Henrik Olsen Posted at 3-30 11:14
around the same strategy I use

Good to know.  Hope you have a great day today and a wonderful weekend.
2023-3-31
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ND filters will always have a place in photography and videography, whether you need them or not, thats the users choice, and also dependant on the shots required.
2023-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules