2032 23 2023-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Hello,
Just updated to DJI Fly 1.9.9 and went to test, immediately noticed an issue, it crashes every 5-10 minutes seemingly at random, goes black screen for about 5 seconds, then shows the home screen with the "Go Fly" button, and then returns to the camera view as usual.

This happened 4 times during my 20-minute flight, not very pleasant.

Flight logs got split.

Also, something to mention, my USB-C cable from the RC-N1 to my phone is a bit broken, and sometimes disconnects, but that never has caused an app crash, it just shows "RC not connected to Mobile Device" and then goes back, but now the app crashes. And I don't think it is even related to the USB cable disconnecting because I tried to pull the cable on purpose, and the app didn't crash.

Some settings also reset after the update, but that's not really an issue, however the app crashing, is definitely an issue.

I have seen people reporting this with the DJI RC but now it seems that it also happens on the Android version (phone version) of the Fly app.
I'm running Pixel 6 with the latest March update of Android 13.
2023-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry to know about this issue. If possible, could you please reinstall the app to see if the issue still exists? If yes, please provide us with a screenshot recording for further confirmation. https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2023-3-31
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cables are cheap.  Replace that right?
2023-3-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had a couple of flights since updating to 1.9.9, neither of which had this occurrence.  I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
2023-3-31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Cheers for that Yaros 1. Will keep an eye out for that happening.
2023-3-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Follow-up to my reply of yesterday - a full-battery flight this morning performed perfectly, no issues at all.
2023-4-1
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

I'll restart my phone and test again soon, because recently I updated to the march security update for android (this is a Google Pixel thing, monthly updates) and after that I can't update my firmware from the fly app and it crashes randomly. I don't know if it's something related specifically to this android update.

I'll record the screen during my next flight as suggested by DJI Mindy, and if the crash happens again, will post the video recording of the issue here.
2023-4-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 4-1 07:04
I'll restart my phone and test again soon, because recently I updated to the march security update for android (this is a Google Pixel thing, monthly updates) and after that I can't update my firmware from the fly app and it crashes randomly. I don't know if it's something related specifically to this android update.

I'll record the screen during my next flight as suggested by DJI Mindy, and if the crash happens again, will post the video recording of the issue here.

Instead of updating, uninstall Fly and do a fresh install from the DJI download page. Sometimes updates do not completely overwrite the old files or delete "no longer needed files".
2023-4-1
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-1 07:35
Instead of updating, uninstall Fly and do a fresh install from the DJI download page. Sometimes updates do not completely overwrite the old files or delete "no longer needed files".

Okay, I will try to reinstall the app before going to test. Thanks for the suggestion!
2023-4-1
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

I reinstalled the app and while I was checking the settings in DJI Fly after the update, my phone restarted randomly.
Strange. My guess is that the cable is faulty and shorting the USB power lines, thus restarting the phone. I will try to change the cable and see if the issue goes away.

Still, doesn't make much sense as the issue appeared after updating android and the fly app, maybe it is a software issue, but I will change the USB cable to rule out the option of hardware failure.
2023-4-1
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 4-1 09:09
I reinstalled the app and while I was checking the settings in DJI Fly after the update, my phone restarted randomly.
Strange. My guess is that the cable is faulty and shorting the USB power lines, thus restarting the phone. I will try to change the cable and see if the issue goes away.

Sometimes after updating multiple devices things seem to pop up out of nowhere. It does sound like a bad cable. I've flown several aircraft with the new update via several devices and have not experienced any issues. Good luck!
2023-4-1
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Replaced the cable, flew 2 batteries, the app crashed only 1 time, at the beginning of the 2nd flight when trying to expand the map.
Sadly I forgot to start the screen recording. But I guess it was both the cable and the app/android update at fault.
Will test more tomorrow if the weather will be good.
2023-4-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you are dialing it in.  Good luck man, that sucks with an app crashing.
2023-4-2
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Today I flew again, but this time I recorded the screen. The app crashed 3 times and the last one it also crashed my screen recording and android itself.
I spotted a pattern in the crashes, before the crash I did one of these things:
- Stop recording using RC
- Rapidly switch from video to photo.

or the other way around, first switch from photo to video and start a video quickly after switching.
However yesterday I got it to crash after expanding the map, so it's unclear what's causing this.

Anyway, here's the video:
2023-4-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Try clearing the app cache. If it's an Android, clear the "partition cache". Google how to do it.
2023-4-3
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-3 13:07
Try clearing the app cache. If it's an Android, clear the "partition cache". Google how to do it.

I already tried that and I also tried to completely reinstall the app.
2023-4-3
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-31 05:57
Hi there, we are sorry to know about this issue. If possible, could you please reinstall the app to see if the issue still exists? If yes, please provide us with a screenshot recording for further confirmation. https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly

Hello,
I attached the video in a post above, it is a screen recording of the app crashing.
Contact me directly if you have any further details.
Thanks!
2023-4-3
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

That's not very random at all... It seems it happen every time you switch recording mode on the RC

Hopefully it is just a software issue and not hardware related...
2023-4-3
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Burt37 Posted at 4-3 16:04
That's not very random at all... It seems it happen every time you switch recording mode on the RC

Hopefully it is just a software issue and not hardware related...

Yes, I just noticed while editing the screen recording.
I will install DJI Fly 1.9.4 again and see if the problem goes away. The problem appeared after I updated to V1.9.9 and also updated android, so I'm not sure which of these updates caused the issue, the cable also was malfunctioning, so I replaced it, but it didn't help much.

It doesn't happen always when I switch shooting mode using RC, but maybe like 15% of the time.
2023-4-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Yaros1 Posted at 4-3 11:22
Today I flew again, but this time I recorded the screen. The app crashed 3 times and the last one it also crashed my screen recording and android itself.
I spotted a pattern in the crashes, before the crash I did one of these things:
- Stop recording using RC

Hi there. Thanks for posting the video. We need to gather more details to conduct an analysis. We sent you a PM so kindly check at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
2023-4-4
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

After some more testing with the drone on my table, I figured out that the crash happens right after switching from video to photo or vise versa, no matter if you use the button on the remote or do it by clicking in the app, it crashes like 10% of the time while doing it.

Downgrading to V1.9.4 fixed the issue. I don't know if it is something specific to the Air 2, but I found another person reporting the same issue but with M3 Classic.
2023-4-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 4-4 12:07
After some more testing with the drone on my table, I figured out that the crash happens right after switching from video to photo or vise versa, no matter if you use the button on the remote or do it by clicking in the app, it crashes like 10% of the time while doing it.

Downgrading to V1.9.4 fixed the issue. I don't know if it is something specific to the Air 2, but I found another person reporting the same issue but with M3 Classic.

Do you have 1.9.9 1010 official? Or 1.9.9 1000 official? Just curious.
2023-4-4
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

1.9.9 1010 build
2023-4-4
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

I downgraded the DJI Fly App to V1.9.4 and the crashing went away, but I spotted the root cause of the issue, when switching from video to photo mode, sometimes the shutter speed in photo mode would copy the FPS set in video mode, which makes no sense, but if you think about it, if it happens the other way around (you're in photo mode with shutter set to 1/2 half second) then when you switch to video, it tries to set the shutter to that and it fails because the shutter speed can never be faster than the frame rate (in this case 1/30) so the app crashes.
2023-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules