Remote ID
4751 18 2023-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Does anyone know if DJI plans on brining RID to the Mini 2?  I just purchased mine in January and was curious.
2023-3-31
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the hardware for it.
2023-3-31
Use props
DKGPST
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Mini 2 (<250g) used for purely recreational flight will not be affected by FAA Remote ID rule, don't worry about that.
2023-4-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. You can refer to this terms: All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers. Link:https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone
2023-4-12
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

The problem is that I plan on flying it as commercial once in a while.  I hope they have smaller RID modules coming out by then.  So far the ones they have are pretty big and they would weigh the Mini 2 down pretty good.  I may just fly the Air2S exclusively instead since it is RID already.  So at least I have a backup plan to save some money.  So DJI Wanda if you could pass it on to the the higher ups that the Mini 2 it would be nice that it would have RID on it.  
2023-4-12
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

ok, I dispute this - The mini 2 I own is supposedly broadcasting my remote ID and this is NOT one source saying this. they are saying ALL DJI drones do this - read here
https://www.wired.com/story/dji- ... cation-hacker-tool/

and follow up with more searches on the guy who is making this more afordable using the HackRF device and not the $3000 one. and you will see the whole picture.

If I had $500 bucks lying around I would purchase a HackRF Software Defined Radio and build this and show everyone. others are alredy doing it - release is comming up.

As an engineer who understands RF - I always said having to tether the phone is crazy since the drone already has GPS and there are Drone jamming systems and drone id systems made by DJI - so something was not adding up for me early on but I did not care as I am not doing anything illegal or questionable with my drone. so what if they see..........

And if some wacko tracks me down for filming his wife in public then I will deal with him and that threat in that envoronment. But I still don't like it.

This seems like a breach of privacy to me. I do not like that DJI already has all my flight logs. probably back to the first flight - dont believe me sign up for the Drone log service and it downloads your flight logs from DJI so you dont have to pluck them off your phone with I-tunes. (At least they claim to do that)

This shows to me that DJI is not being open about this as they at first said it was an encrypted stream from the drone and it is NOT - it is beaconing in plain text.

Research some of these links and you will see there will be remote drone ID tools on the market for cheap any minute probably downloaded to your phone from the app store before year end.

And YES according to this my Mini 2 has been broadcasting my location. Not cool DJI - Not disclosing things and not being transparent with your information - look what it got you - no government or municipal entity can even use your drones any more in the US - the whole fleet is grounded - shame on you DJI for hiding Remote ID and things like this stream not being encrypted so it is delibretly "Open" since like 2017 when Remote ID Protocol was developed by you.

If you are trying to keep americans trust this is not how you do that, FYI.

2023-4-22
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

In Reply to OP and the Mini 2

Best Drone Ever for Cheap with the fly more pack! Unreal value.

I still Like this better than my Avata - Best Drone ever for $600
had to edit this - I also LOVE the pro models although at the time did not have the coin to step up - wish I did.

I would also love the controller with the screen as I despise the requirment of needing my phone to take off.

Both my DJI Mode-2 controllers are top notch, solid feel - great quality gimbeles, etc. so I would trust it.

I hope the prices crash like my home value did because no Gvmt/Municipal entity using DJI in the states now.

I have not seen my local fire dept post up on ebay yet or I would be snaching me up a cheap Mav Pro with Smart controller -Word.  

2023-4-22
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

If I put a RID module on the Mini 2 it is no longer under the .55 pounds and must be registered.
2023-4-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Nitro-Tom Posted at 4-22 06:48
ok, I dispute this - The mini 2 I own is supposedly broadcasting my remote ID and this is NOT one source saying this. they are saying ALL DJI drones do this - read here
https://www.wired.com/story/dji-droneid-operator-location-hacker-tool/

This is NOT!!! RID!!! It is DJI Aeroscope.
2023-4-22
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

Aeroscope is a product sold by DJI for authorities to leverage Remote ID - i am not so sure and I really don't care  - soon this will be like using a WI FI scanner - common place as the law goes into effect in Sept. this year.
2023-4-22
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

I'm looking for the official DJI RID support drone and remote controller list, anyone have a link?
2023-5-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

WaterMaster Posted at 5-13 08:30
I'm looking for the official DJI RID support drone and remote controller list, anyone have a link?

This is the FAA accepted DOC list - https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2023-5-13
Use props
iflycams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372661 ft
United States

When looking at the list make sure and check the serial number and not just the model.  For example.

Make:  DJI      Model:  Mini 3 Pro      FCC Identifier:  SS3-MT3M3VD
Serial #: 1581F4XF000000000000 - 1581F4XFFFFFFFFFFFFF

My Mini 3 Pro which was purchased 9-5-22 has a serial number in that range.
      1581F4XFC...........

2023-5-29
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I have a sneaking suspicion that the non-pro Mini drones are intended for amateur flight only, and as such will never be offered RID features.  The newer Mini 3 Pro is likely the only sub 250g drone that will include RID.  So if you really need it, be prepared to pay for it.

The OP is correct that although the Mini 2 meets the weight requirement for non RID flight, if you fly it commercially or obtain any financial profit (including monetized YouTube videos) then the drone needs to be registered and will eventually require RID as well.  This relegates the Mini 2 to a personal use only device.

It would be nice if DJI made these points more clearly.  
2023-6-2
Use props
jdean72985
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73379 ft
United States

I fly my mini 2 with a few accessories the put it over 250g. So  to stay compliant I did register it with the FAA. I've only had it a year and don't want to buy a new drone to be compliant with RID. Is the Mini 2 getting RID or is there a small module out there I can use on it? Also I do plan to use it for some YouTube videos, so by that I need RID. Working on my part 107 now.
2023-11-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

jdean72985 Posted at 11-7 00:16
I fly my mini 2 with a few accessories the put it over 250g. So  to stay compliant I did register it with the FAA. I've only had it a year and don't want to buy a new drone to be compliant with RID. Is the Mini 2 getting RID or is there a small module out there I can use on it? Also I do plan to use it for some YouTube videos, so by that I need RID. Working on my part 107 now.

Hi there. The Mini 2 does not have a built-in remote ID. You might need to get a remote ID module to comply with the FAA if you are going to fly for commercial purposes. You can visit the following link to check which drones are going to have a remote ID firmware update and do not need an RID broadcast module: https://forum.dji.com/thread-293343-1-1.html. Have a great day ahead.
2023-11-7
Use props
djiuser_Foz4OlFsIExc
New

United States

Shawgod Posted at 4-12 03:41
The problem is that I plan on flying it as commercial once in a while.  I hope they have smaller RID modules coming out by then.  So far the ones they have are pretty big and they would weigh the Mini 2 down pretty good.  I may just fly the Air2S exclusively instead since it is RID already.  So at least I have a backup plan to save some money.  So DJI Wanda if you could pass it on to the the higher ups that the Mini 2 it would be nice that it would have RID on it.

I DON'T !!! think it (Mini 2) needs a remote ID!! Mind yer on damn business!!!

An ol man age 72 said that! That's what's wrong with this country now .To many folks stickin their noses in everybody else's business. Worked hard all my life and finally something comes up to pass my time with and maybe enjoy what is left of my life. No
w someone wants to regulate my retirement. Had enough regulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2023-12-10
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

djiuser_Foz4OlFsIExc Posted at 12-10 11:41
I DON'T !!! think it (Mini 2) needs a remote ID!! Mind yer on damn business!!!

An ol man age 72 said that! That's what's wrong with this country now .To many folks stickin their noses in everybody else's business. Worked hard all my life and finally something comes up to pass my time with and maybe enjoy what is left of my life. No

It doesn't sound like your use case scenario would involve a need for a RID module. Plus, even if one were available, you just don't have to install it on your Mini 2.
Police, airport authorities and military installations use DJI Aeroscope to see your drone now. They don't need RID. If you are flying with a remote control, you are already broadcasting your location.

But I agree - we certainly don't need to be turning every Karen and Ken into a wannabe cop when we're flying legally and just enjoying our hobby.
2023-12-10
Use props
djiuser_Foz4OlFsIExc
New

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-22 09:45
This is NOT!!! RID!!! It is DJI Aeroscope.

link is a common/advertisement.
2023-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules