DJI Mini 3 Moire/Aliasing
1719 4 2023-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Forbidden
lvl.1
Portugal

Hello all,

I am new here, just bought a DJI mini 3, although I have a huge problem.
Everytime I shoot in a city with my new DJI Mini 3 the footage comes out with so much moire/aliasing that it is unusable.

I've tried using ND filters to reduce the shutter speed and follow de 180 rule but to no success.
I am starting to think that my dji mini 3 has some kind of problem.

I will leave a link to some of my footage (unedited) shot at 4K 30fps:
https://youtube.com/shorts/faMkLBX64uE

Can you tell me if such amount of moire/aliasing is normal in this model and how can I fix it?

Thank you!

2023-4-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. To reduce Moiré patterns, you may try the methods below:

1. Change the camera angle. Because Moiré patterns may be caused by the angle of the camera and the object, slightly changing the camera angle will decrease or change the Moiré pattern.

2. Change the camera position. In addition, moving left, right, up, or down to change the angle relationship can eliminate Moiré patterns.

3. Change the focus. Having an overly sharp focus and altitude details on detailed patterns may result in Moiré patterns. Slightly changing the focus can change the sharpness and help remove Moiré patterns.

4. Change the lens focal length. Moiré patterns can be changed or eliminated by changing the focal length of a zoom lens.

5. Reduce the camera sharpness. You can use third-party software to reduce the video/photo sharpness after shooting.

6. Use image processing software to eliminate Moiré patterns on the final image.  

7. It is impossible to eliminate all Moiré patterns in all conditions. This issue can only be mitigated or removed through trying different settings and methods based on the different environments and angles.

Note: Some Moiré patterns are caused by the display, not by shooting with the camera. This kind of Moiré pattern is visible on small images and will disappear after enlargement.
2023-4-1
Use props
Forbidden
lvl.1
Portugal

Thanks for you reply.

I believe I cannot change things such as sharpness or focal length on the mini 3 (at least don't know how).

Are those Moiré patterns in my footage normal then? I don't see it in videos taken with the mini 3 on youtube.

Thanks
2023-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Forbidden Posted at 4-2 15:09
Thanks for you reply.

I believe I cannot change things such as sharpness or focal length on the mini 3 (at least don't know how).

Moiré patterns appear as textile-like stripes and strange colors on a digital image when there are dense textures in the subject. This issue may occur regardless of whether the images are shot by advanced digital cameras or are scanned. This issue may appear when detailed patterns on an object (such as weave patterns on fabric or extremely close parallel lines on buildings) overlap with images on the image subject. If two patterns overlap, another new pattern will be produced. It is a normal phenomenon.
And we are sorry for the confusion caused. we mean you can try to use third-party software to reduce the video/photo sharpness after the shooting.
2023-4-3
Use props
Jacopo981
New
Italy

Forbidden Posted at 4-2 15:09
Thanks for you reply.

I bought the mavic mini 3 instead of the mini 2 because it was destroyed. if i could i would go back. the file is too verbose. filming at 1/50 25fps I find flickering in the more complex textures such as trees or complex patterns. I tried to film at 30fps at 1/120 and the conditions improved but  I'm in Europe and I usually film in PAL 50hz. I don't know how to shoot at 25fps without running into this problem, furthermore these aberrations are not noticed from the remote control display. Has anyone else had these problems?
2023-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules