Recordings Stopping and Corrupted Clips
685 12 2023-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I purchased my DJI Pocket 2 about a month and a half ago and have only properly used it twice so far with a few quick tests before to get used to using it. But there are a couple of problems. The first is that whenever I hit record, the recording will stop automatically part way through. The time frame can range from a couple of minutes of recording to a couple of seconds. It seems completely random as to how long it can record for. The second problem is that I've found that several of my clips are corrupting. From my first use, 4/73 clips were corrupted. And these weren't all short bits that may have not recorded due to the recording issues, they were substantial clips that would have been a minute or 2. On my second use, 11/83 clips were corrupted, an alarming increase.  
I don't know if these 2 issues are linked. Some other key points: I initially started using the Camera with the Do It All handle. In my tests tonight I tried recording with and without the handle, no improvement. I tried resetting and calibrating which I don't think I did before because I hadn't recalled seeing the control tutorial or callibration sequences before. I reset and calibrated before and after removing the Do It All handle. Again, this didn't make a difference. However, it did change something. Now whenever I hit the record button, there is a beep. 1 beep when I hit record, 2 beeps when it automatically stops recording (and I'm assuming that it would also do 2 beeps when I manually stop the recordings but I can't find out because it doesn't record for long enough lol).

In my tests tonight, it doesn't record above a few seconds. But again, it's random for how long it records for. Sometimes it's a few seconds, sometimes it stops instantly. The only other thing I've noticed is that the main body of the Camera has been a little warm. Not really hot, just a little warm. So maybe overheating could be the problem? Idk, hopefully someone one here can help this poor noob out lol.

2023-4-2
Use props
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Quick Update:
I've let the Camera cool down and have tried filming again. It's without the Do It All handle and I flip and zoom the Camera while moving like I would when I film normally.

First Clip: 2 mins 12 secs
Second Clip: 8 secs
Third Clip: 29 secs

So yeah, completely random times. And it's not even got as hot as it was before, and even then that wasn't that warm. Now I can barely feel the heat if it's even there at all.
2023-4-2
Use props
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I should probably also add, I am using a SanDisk 128Gb Micro SD Card.
2023-4-2
Use props
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Final Update:

I've found the solution. So, before I decided to call it quits and get a repair done, I thought that maybe changing the Micro SD for a smaller 32GB that I have might make a difference. So I put it in and hit record. Got over 6 mins. Turns out it wasn't the size that's the problem, it's the type.

I have SanDisk Ultra's but when I finally did some research I found that the recommended types are Extreme and above up to Extreme Pro. What I found out was the type of SD denotes the processing power. So basically how well it runs. Extreme Pro runs the best, Ultra runs the worst. Whoops lol.

So I've ordered an 128GB Extreme Pro which should hopefully help it to run better. Probably explains the heat, the camera was struggling to run the worse performing SD Card. I'm doing a final test now with the 32GB Ultra just to see how long it can run till. If it's long enough then I might use it as a spare. At the time of writing this, it's at 20 mins 44 secs. Pretty successful to me.
2023-4-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Darkshadow_2570 Posted at 4-2 15:17
Final Update:

I've found the solution. So, before I decided to call it quits and get a repair done, I thought that maybe changing the Micro SD for a smaller 32GB that I have might make a difference. So I put it in and hit record. Got over 6 mins. Turns out it wasn't the size that's the problem, it's the type.

Sounds like you solved the issue.  I would not have guessed the SD card was the cause but great troubleshooting on your part.  
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Great to hear you got the problem solved. I have read that the Pocket 2 can be a bit iffy considering the MicroSD cards that work best with it. Yet on the other hand, I myself got a Samsung EVO 256GB memory card for the Pocket 2 and it has worked like a charm, no problems whatsoever.

DJI has listed the minimum requirements of the memory card used and recommended memory card types here: https://www.dji.com/fi/pocket-2/specs Those can be a good starting point, and if you can't find the recommended cards, then do at least pay attention to the classifications on speed grade and capacity to find it out.

Anyhow, happy recording with the Pocket 2
2023-4-3
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DJI Pocket 2 is very picky about SD cards. Never use Kingston cards with Pocket 2 I have even topic about these. With Pocket 1 they works still nicely.

Sandisk Extreme 128 works with Pocket 2.
2023-4-3
Use props
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the kind comments. In the end, I've gone for a SanDisk 128Gb Extreme Pro which should do very well. In regards to the final test on the SanDisk 32Gb Ultra, it got to nearly an hour non stop but then I stopped it recording manually bc it started to get very warm. So it'll work as a spare in small bursts but not long term. I probably won't be recording much more than 30 minute chuncks anyways and that'll probably be on the Extreme Pro first. I'm sure this will solve the problem just fine.
2023-4-3
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Had that problem. It was voice command. so if you talk a lot, it can, or will shut down. So. lol maybe.  
2023-4-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Please keep us posted on the result of your tests using a recommended SD card. And we recommend that while waiting for the new SD card, you try formatting the SD card and check again. Please reach us back here should you have other concerns. Have a nice day.
2023-4-4
Use props
CALLMESUPAHOT
New
Canada

Darkshadow_2570 Posted at 4-2 15:17
Final Update:

Thanks so much. I have the same issue and has resulted in lots of lost interview footage + audio. Did you have any luck retrieving the corrupted files?
2023-11-26
Use props
Darkshadow_2570
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CALLMESUPAHOT Posted at 11-26 16:46
Thanks so much. I have the same issue and has resulted in lots of lost interview footage + audio. Did you have any luck retrieving the corrupted files?

Unfortunately not. I just had to delete the corrupted clips. But fortunately it was only on a couple of projects. Then I got the new SD card and it's been working great over the year.
2023-11-27
Use props
CALLMESUPAHOT
New
Canada

Darkshadow_2570 Posted at 11-27 00:07
Unfortunately not. I just had to delete the corrupted clips. But fortunately it was only on a couple of projects. Then I got the new SD card and it's been working great over the year.

Great I will make the switch over to a faster card. DJI support was great and actually was able to repair my video file with a 1 day turnaround.

Thanks again
2023-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules