Wind Speed
6618 23 2023-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Does anyone know the Wind Speed the Mini 2 can handle.  I was going to fly my Mini 2 yesterday but was afraid that it couldn't handle the wind gusts of 35 mph.  The regular wind was 15 mph.  I know on my Air2S and Phantom 4 Pro they probably could have handled it, but I was wanting to fly the Mini 2.
2023-4-3
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe wait till the winds calm down? By the time you read ths, they probably already have. Lol
2023-4-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

RTFM!! It's in the specs.
2023-4-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

In my experience, the drone will start to have major issues around 25mph and will have to land around 29.5mph.

Personally, if it's above 8 or 9mph, I don't fly.
2023-4-3
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-3 07:39
RTFM!! It's in the specs.

I know what the manual says.  I was wondering what people have flown their drones in safely.  I didn't need some wise ass crack like yours.
2023-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rule of thumb for the Mini's is 25mph gusts being my cut off, bear in mind that the forecast wind speeds are for 10m height, you will be flying higher than that of which means you will be at a height where there are isn't anything to restrict the wind, i.e. higher than local buildings, the higher you go the windspeeds are always faster than forecasted speeds. i.e. if its 30mph forecast and you go up to 80m, you can expect to lose your drone. Example for this Thursday, 10m forecast is 17mph, at 100m its forecast for 24mph.

One other thing, it is only a forecast, it could be faster or slower, unless you take an anemometer with you, even then, thats only at 2m height...

I recommend you use the Windy app or on PC (easier to use the slider), when on the winds forecast (not gust) there is a slider for the forecast height, you can only slide from surface to 100m, or much higher, so 100m will have to do, this will give you an idea of the average speeds at that height. When used in conjunction with the picker it will show the speeds at that location.

If you have the forecast along the bottom enabled, you can choose wind (you might need to enable the wind) and see a comparison between all forecast charts, i would really stick with ECMWF as thats the most accurate though.

2023-4-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shawgod Posted at 4-3 17:18
I know what the manual says.  I was wondering what people have flown their drones in safely.  I didn't need some wise ass crack like yours.

I've certainly flown a Mavic Mini in wind and probably the Mini 2 too.
Obviously there are wind speed above which they stay on the ground, for me that is how much the trees are swaying.  But the big thing is to remember what to do if it is blown away, reduce its height as much as possible, switch to sports mode and if you get it home pack up for the day. If you can't get it home land it or crash it somewhere safe, away from people and other's property.

If it is windy enough for you to question whether or not it is too windy. DON'T FLY.

I have seen both a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Mini taken by gusts and there wasn't a darn thing they could do to flight it, fortunately the gusts died and I was able to get the drones home but I was about to send the Phantom out to sea and ditch it when its gust died, better that than risk it coming down on someone. The Mini was heading for trees.
2023-4-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Shawgod Posted at 4-3 17:18

That's kind of a hard question to answer,because of wind gusts constantly changing at
different altitudes.Everyone has a different situation.I have flown in winds of 28mph,
with gusts to 41mph at 400 feet up,no issues at all,but i kept the distance relatively close to me.
I would not suggest making a habit of flying in these conditions,but I got a different drone and
needed to see if it could handle adverse conditions.
2023-4-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 4-3 19:15
That's kind of a hard question to answer,because of wind gusts constantly changing at
different altitudes.Everyone has a different situation.I have flown in winds of 28mph,
with gusts to 41mph at 400 feet up,no issues at all,but i kept the distance relatively close to me.

And if you sent the drone up to 400ft, what drone successfully fought 41mph up there?

2023-4-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-3 19:19
And if you sent the drone up to 400ft, what drone successfully fought 41mph up there?

Its not a DJI product
2023-4-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 4-3 19:52
Its not a DJI product

Ok............
2023-4-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

It is not my place to be talking about a non DJI product,as this is a DJI forum.
I do have a dJI drone also.
2023-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 4-3 19:15

You should put a disclaimer as the topic is about a Mini 2, your reply may mislead some into thinking youre talking about your Mini 2.

My P4P is good for 45mph, i wouldnt entertain anything over 30mph in the forecast.

What did you use to determine the wind speed at 400ft?
2023-4-3
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-3 21:22
You should put a disclaimer as the topic is about a Mini 2, your reply may mislead some into thinking youre talking about your Mini 2.

My P4P is good for 45mph, i wouldnt entertain anything over 30mph in the forecast.

I have been using the standard UAV forecast,the day before this flight we had wind gusts at ground
level to 50 mph.Its been a windy winter and early spring here.Do you have any ideas of a different or better app to use for wind speed at altitude.I have not really had much time lately to check to see if there is something better to use.
2023-4-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please observe the flight environment. If the current ambient wind velocity exceeds the max wind speed (8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5) ), the aircraft will be unable to operate normally. We recommend that you stop the flight missions temporarily. Wait until the wind speed decreases before flying. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 4-3 21:38
I have been using the standard UAV forecast,the day before this flight we had wind gusts at ground
level to 50 mph.Its been a windy winter and early spring here.Do you have any ideas of a different or better app to use for wind speed at altitude.I have not really had much time lately to check to see if there is something better to use.

Thats as good as any app but you need to realise that it's only a forecast, the winds could be that, less or more and sometimes by a fair margin.

I try to keep it 10mph below the max speed of the drone, that way there is some wiggle room, but thats on rare occasions as that means having to use sports mode and more for playing than out serious, not to mention that the gimbal can throw a wobbly too...
2023-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does anyone know the Wind Speed the Mini 2 can handle.
There is no single number that can answer your question.
Your drone has a max speed in Sport Mode of 16 metres/sec (36 mph).
But that's only part of the equation.
Much more important is how far do you intend flying and in what direction?
If you only wanted to go straight up and down, you could go up and down in a 30 mph wind.
But if you wanted to fly half a mile downwind, run the battery down to 25% and come home against a headwind, you might lose the drone in a wind of only 15 mph.

2023-4-4
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-3 22:13
Thats as good as any app but you need to realise that it's only a forecast, the winds could be that, less or more and sometimes by a fair margin.

I try to keep it 10mph below the max speed of the drone, that way there is some wiggle room, but thats on rare occasions as that means having to use sports mode and more for playing than out serious, not to mention that the gimbal can throw a wobbly too...

I know I had a big piece of cardboard ,with my landing pad on,with a 17 x 17 inch piece of plywood on that, and a gust of wind came and sent the whole works flying across my yard.My DJI drone is
the older mavic air 2. I probably should have mentioned right away that I do not have a Mini 2.
I know it is only used for forecasting,but I guess in this case i have to take their word for it.
The 10mph number you are using under the max. drone speed is a great idea.
As i mentioned in a different post my new drone is not a DJI product,I was asked what it is but
due to this being a DJI forum,Its not really the right place to be talking about a non DJI brand name.
Have a good day
2023-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A mini 2 can not handle storm Eunice, I thought this was rather ________ (fill in a suitable word) lol
2023-4-4
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-4 08:24
A mini 2 can not handle storm Eunice, I thought this was rather ________ (fill in a suitable word lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4CVsxv9iWA

Fun to watch,not for me,thanks for sharing.
2023-4-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-4 08:24
A mini 2 can not handle storm Eunice, I thought this was rather ________ (fill in a suitable word lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4CVsxv9iWA

What a bell, no way he needed to go that high for what he wanted to do, I have played in strong winds to get max speeds with my P4P, just under 70mph in a fraction under 40mph gusts and Mini 2 was 37.5mph with 21mph gusts (as per Airdata in-flight wind), thats actually the fastest i have done with the DJI Fly app, flight speed i mean so I've not gone over that with the Mini 3 Pro yet.

On those days i mentioned above, the forecast ground speed (10m height) was 30mph for the P4P and for the Mini 2 it was 20mph, i took the Mini 2 to 118m and the P4P to 132m (a wee oversight back then)
I will add that after the P4P run, my mate (he had his Mavic Pro) and I both agreed that 30mph forecast speeds were 100% not fun, certainly not for him anyway, it was quite stressful so we agreed on that limit and i can honestly say that we haven't been out again since in those speeds, i have in the back garden though...

What I do for drone max speed tests is and where matey went wrong, I send it upwind 1st and a good few hundred meters away just to get a feel, and then i will sit there and see what happens during a hover If it moves in sport mode then i know full well to bring in down to a height where it will easily hover in place, then i have a bit of fun. Matey went downwind and just kept on sending it higher and higher, ____ around and find out, springs to mind lol
2023-4-4
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Older video, but this wind test covers the Mini 2:

2023-4-4
Use props
djiuser_yjGrH7FU0bir
New