Charging while using an external mic
1325 10 2023-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DistressBacon
New

Germany

Is there any way to get charging working while using an external mic adapter?
I've tried multiple USB-C splitters, but it's always the same:
If I plug something into the charging port, the external mic gets turned off.

This is absolutely unacceptable behaviour for me, as I use the camera to record my motorcycle tours and I can't just stop every 45 minutes to change the battery of the action 3.

The action 1 could do both, other action cams can do both, but this one can't.

Please, DJI, at least tell me this is just a software issue and you're planning on fixing it.

As it stands now, I cannot recommend this camera for anyone who wants to record their motorcycle rides without having to stop to change batteries.
2023-4-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

160 minutes of recording time on OA3, so you doesn't need to stop that often.

But I think they are planning to make an adapter for being able to do so, we have to wait.
2023-4-4
Use props
DistressBacon
New

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 4-4 00:59
160 minutes of recording time on OA3, so you doesn't need to stop that often.

But I think they are planning to make an adapter for being able to do so, we have to wait.

I've never been able to push recording time past 2 hours.

And I don't know about you, but I regularly spend 12+ hours in the saddle and I don't always ride solo.

I don't want to force my riding group to stop just so I can change the battery, especially when there's a simple solution that worked even with the previous Osmo Action: using an external battery.

To be clear: "Just stop and change the battery" or "Quickcharging is a thing, you know" are no solutions to me and they're apologetic comments ignoring that there should be a simple fix for this.

Unless they royally fucked up the USB-C port, there should not be a need for a proprietary adapter. This should be a software fix.
2023-4-4
Use props
Triplog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108481 ft
United Kingdom

DistressBacon Posted at 4-4 01:27

And I don't know about you, but I regularly spend 12+ hours in the saddle and I don't always ride solo.
Agree with you Distressbacon. I do exactly the same. Its not a matter of how long the battery lasts,  its not knowing when it has gone dead (my camera is on the chin piece out of my line of vision). Cynova did an excellent adaptor which I use on my original Action so I can't for the life of me understand why this isn't possible on the Action3
2023-4-4
Use props
DistressBacon
New

Germany

Triplog Posted at 4-4 01:42
Agree with you Distressbacon. I do exactly the same. Its not a matter of how long the battery lasts,  its not knowing when it has gone dead (my camera is on the chin piece out of my line of vision). Cynova did an excellent adaptor which I use on my original Action so I can't for the life of me understand why this isn't possible on the Action3

Ah, you see, you will understand once DJI offers a proprietary adapter for like 50 bucks.
2023-4-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

this will be the answer:

Hi there. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your valued support.

we asked and that is as far as it will go. you may want to ask DJI if they can offer us all a  awesome discount, or a loaners plan on the DJI wireless Mic that can record   audio internally think not
2023-4-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DistressBacon Posted at 4-4 01:27

Insta360 ONE RS 4K Edition could be your solution, it have like everything
2023-4-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

does not Insta use their own adapter or was it cynova as well.. also insta caters to Apple Airpods within 1 foot
2023-4-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 4-4 06:19
does not Insta use their own adapter or was it cynova as well.. also insta caters to Apple Airpods within 1 foot

Insta have their own adapter, wonder if that work on OA3?
2023-4-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Cynova makes the insta adapter too

https://amzn.to/3MhU1W7
2023-4-4
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 4-4 08:48
Insta have their own adapter, wonder if that work on OA3?

I have one and just tried it - physically too large to plug in even with door off.
I might be able to rig up a patch lead into camera to see what happens but not ideal to use like that.
2023-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules