DJI Mic hum with external microphone
2328 14 2023-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

My microphone is working well except when I try to use the external microphone port.  When I connect an external microphone I get a lound high pitch hum.  One transmitter is worse than the other.  If I fidldle with the plug, twisting and re-inserting I can get the hum to stop, but any movement of the transmitter and the hum returns.

I've tried several different types of microphones and they all make the noise at some level.

The microphone I want to use is a Marantz Audio Scope SG-6BC.  This is a relatively good microphone and I don't have a problem with it when used with other equipment.  No noise if I plug directly into the camera.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
2023-4-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, ToucanCatKetch. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We want to help you check this further. Kindly post a short audio recording where the humming is audible for further checking. Thank you.
2023-4-7
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

DJI_04_20230426_064024.mp3.zip (587.4 KB, Down times: 9)
2023-4-26
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 4-7 23:22
Hi, ToucanCatKetch. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We want to help you check this further. Kindly post a short audio recording where the humming is audible for further checking. Thank you.

Thank you for your response.  I seem to be having trouble with the file upload.

The file starts with the transmitter alone, then I plug in the external microphone.  I then wiggle the plug to show the sound change.

I have tried the connection in different locations to eliminate interference but the location and equipment does not change the hum.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin

DJI_04_20230426_064024.mp3 (1).zip

587.4 KB, Down times: 1

2023-4-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ToucanCatKetch Posted at 4-28 19:56

The file starts with the transmitter alone, then I plug in the external microphone.  I then wiggle the plug to show the sound change.

Thank you, Kevin. And apologies for the delayed response. This has been forwarded to the related team for feedback. We'll keep you posted.
2023-4-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ToucanCatKetch Posted at 4-28 19:56

Hi, Kevin. We just received an update from our engineers. According to the analysis of the provided audio files, it is initially believed that the SG-6BC microphone is weak in anti-interference performance. Here are some of the recommendations:
1. Can you confirm whether the SG-6BC microphone used is a TRS plug? If it is not, there may be an incompatibility in the use of the microphone, so it is recommended to connect with a microphone with a TRS plug.
2. If the microphone plug is a TRS plug, move the microphone away from DJI MIC TX as far as possible to see if the radio effect is improved.
3. Try with a better anti-interference microphone to get better sound pickup.
Thanks for your understanding.
2023-5-1
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-1 03:38
Hi, Kevin. We just received an update from our engineers. According to the analysis of the provided audio files, it is initially believed that the SG-6BC microphone is weak in anti-interference performance. Here are some of the recommendations:
1. Can you confirm whether the SG-6BC microphone used is a TRS plug? If it is not, there may be an incompatibility in the use of the microphone, so it is recommended to connect with a microphone with a TRS plug.
2. If the microphone plug is a TRS plug, move the microphone away from DJI MIC TX as far as possible to see if the radio effect is improved.

Thank you for looking into this.
The Marantz Professional Audio Scope microphone uses a TS plug.  It is a mono microphone.  Moving the microphone in relationship to the TX or receiver has no effect.  Only physically twisting or pressing the plug has an effect.  If I twist the plug just right, the noise stops, but any movement of the TX starts the noise again.  The behavior is the same with some other external microphones, but I have some very cheap microphones that do not make the noise.
It really seems to be an issue with the TX.  The noise has improved over when I first inserted an external microphone.  Maybe it is an issue of cleaning the TX receptacle?  Is there a recommended method of cleaning or tightening the receptacle as that would seem like a fix?
2023-5-1
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-1 03:38

Hello
Quick correction to my earlier reply.  The microphone uses a TS plug.  It is mono.  Moving the microphone away from the TX the length of the chord has no effect.  Only rotating the plug in the TX socket has any effect.  Turn and push the plug and the hum stops.  Let go and move the units and the hum starts again.
2023-5-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ToucanCatKetch Posted at 5-1 05:32
Hello
Quick correction to my earlier reply.  The microphone uses a TS plug.  It is mono.  Moving the microphone away from the TX the length of the chord has no effect.  Only rotating the plug in the TX socket has any effect.  Turn and push the plug and the hum stops.  Let go and move the units and the hum starts again.

Thanks for the update. We'll have it forwarded for further feedback. By the way, you mentioned that it worked with other microphones. Can you confirm whether those use a TRS or a TS plug? Thank you.
2023-5-2
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-2 04:49
Thanks for the update. We'll have it forwarded for further feedback. By the way, you mentioned that it worked with other microphones. Can you confirm whether those use a TRS or a TS plug? Thank you.

Both of the other microphones I tried are TS plugs.  They are very generic microphones, both not powered and do not have cardioid settings like  the Marantz shotgun microphone.

One makes the hum, the other does not.  The hum changes as you move the plug in the TX socket.

I have tried putting extension chords on the microphones and moving the TX and RX into different rooms but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thank you for all your help.
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ToucanCatKetch Posted at 5-2 06:12
Both of the other microphones I tried are TS plugs.  They are very generic microphones, both not powered and do not have cardioid settings like  the Marantz shotgun microphone.

One makes the hum, the other does not.  The hum changes as you move the plug in the TX socket.

Thanks for the added details. We'll keep you posted.
2023-5-3
Use props
Spruikers
lvl.1
Australia

Hey ToucanCatKetch, nice boat! Did you ever resolve the noisy TX? Hi there, I purchased a DJI Mic (2 TX + 1 RX + Charging Case) today - it's an amazing piece of kit and sounds pretty great out of the box. Unfortunately, when I add an external microphone, I get a noticeable hum / buzz from the recording (I'm recording directly into the internal memory of the TX). I tried a TRS Rode lav and also a TRS rode video mic micro. Could you recommend a lav or external shotgun mic brand that gives clean audio?
2023-11-4
Use props
PaddyMac
lvl.1
Australia

Spruikers Posted at 11-4 04:05
Hey ToucanCatKetch, nice boat! Did you ever resolve the noisy TX? Hi there, I purchased a DJI Mic (2 TX + 1 RX + Charging Case) today - it's an amazing piece of kit and sounds pretty great out of the box. Unfortunately, when I add an external microphone, I get a noticeable hum / buzz from the recording (I'm recording directly into the internal memory of the TX). I tried a TRS Rode lav and also a TRS rode video mic micro. Could you recommend a lav or external shotgun mic brand that gives clean audio?

Hello DJI mic users seeking external mic options with clean sound. After some research and experimentation, I discovered some pretty fantastic options for external mics. In a nutshell, the mic cables need to be well shielded and they work a treat. Here are three options I am now using.

1. Rode Video Mic Micro with the supplied DJI black shielded cable. Pop this on a selfie stick for interviews or on a stand - that's a pretty nice wireless boom for social media styled videos.

2. The Rode TRRS lav works GREAT with no interference. I love this lav as they gaff perfectly to the inside of a T-shirt with no clothing rustle. NOTE:  the TRS version of the Rode Lav has bad interference. I think the TRRS which is intended to be used with smartphones must have more / better shielding. What I did not realise was the DJI Mic works with both TRS and TRRS 3.5 jacks - wow. Which leads me to the final and most amazing option

3. Tascam IXZ Microphone and Guitar Interface For iOS Devices (has TRRS jack and phantom power) with your favourite XLR professional microphone - in my case, I'm using a senheiser MKH 8060 but I'm guessing any XLR type mic will work provided you are using a quality XLR shielded cable.  

2023-11-5
Use props
ToucanCatKetch
lvl.1
United States

Hello PaddyMac,

Thank you for posting this. I never did find an external mic that worked and gave up.  

Since you had some luck getting things to work, I'm going to be giving your suggestions a try.

Thanks again,
2023-11-6
Use props
Adam.H
New
United States

Very glad I found this thread. I just got the DJI Mics and I am very upset that I cannot use my Rode VideoMic Go with it. I get the same horrible sound that ToucanCatKetch got, despite using a TRS microphone and cable. Please let me know if there are any new solutions.
2023-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules