2480 99 2023-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi DJI, using the latest firmware on both AC and DJI RC one cannot choose 400ft max height, I can choose either 410ft or 393ft but not 400ft.
When i change to metric, I can choose 120m but as soon as I swap back to imperial it changes to 393ft.

400ft is the legal max height here in the UK not 393ft, I know what it's doing, it is calculating 120m into ft of which is 393ft, someone at the CAA cannot do maths as it should be 121.92m, irrespective of that, we should be able to choose 400ft as that is the legal height allowed. Please address this at your earliest convenience.

2023-4-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IMO it would be FAR better to give us the option of typing in a value, I LOATHE these chuffing sliders.
2023-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Since the height in the regulations is the height your drone is above the ground, not the height on your screen, and the amount you are quibbling about is trivial, this doesn't matter at all.
2023-4-6
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-6 19:37
IMO it would be FAR better to give us the option of typing in a value, I LOATH these chuffing sliders.

Agreed chap
2023-4-6
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 4-6 20:40
Since the height in the regulations is the height your drone is above the ground, not the height on your screen, and the amount you are quibbling about is trivial, this doesn't matter at all.

Since the height in the regulations is the height your drone is above the ground, not the height on your screen

For me, the 2 are one and the same as i live where there are no hills or valleys so your statement isn't correct for everyone.

Its not trivial to me, i would like it to work as expected. I cannot set the limit to 400ft and i would like to be able to do that, so it does matter, to me.

You brought nothing to this thread that was of any help other than to try to trivialise it and by the way, your use of "trivial" is redundant
2023-4-6
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

The sliders should have arrows on each end so the value can be increased or decreased by a count of one (or ten if held).
2023-4-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lieutenant Posted at 4-6 22:09
The sliders should have arrows on each end so the value can be increased or decreased by a count of one (or ten if held).

By "one" I would agree with, by any thing larger than two no and certainly not "ten".
I assume you idea is for 'fine tuning' of a setting set via the slider, "ten" would be no better than that that I can currently achieve with the slider.
2023-4-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMO it would be FAR better to give us the option of typing in a value, I LOATH these chuffing sliders.

+1 for ability to type in desired height.  
2023-4-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would be great to see this fixed in an upcoming FW.    Hopefully, DJI will make this happen.
2023-4-7
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I have a slight different problem.. When I set it to 120 metres, it always stops at 116 metres...

Not sure why... And yes, it would be great to have the ability to actually input a number.. Slider are not easy for fat fingers...
2023-4-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's just my opinion but i believe you are misusing the setting.  what are you going to do when the rules change and we are allowed to fly at 500ft, do we demand a sw update?  right now the limit is 400 feet, does dji remove all settings higher than 400 feet because of the rules? no?  aha, now you want to reference AGL....can't have it both ways.

laanc is mostly indicated in predictable increments such as 100 or 150 feet.  of course, you'll never match those increments precisely in the settings due to metric conversion.  how do you manage with the current settings?  you don't....because when you are flying under laanc, you manage your max height with the rc as the pic like you should.

dji sees it the way i see it:  it doesn't matter if you set it 393 or 410, either way you are not breaking any rules.  even if you live in flat as a pancake nebraska, there's a good chance you are somewhere over or under the limit and as far as we've seen from the faa, that's ok.  at least for me, the intended use of the setting is to keep your drone from launching into outer space especially an fpv drone where you are climbing and diving mountains and you actually find yourself reaching the 5, 6, 700 marks.

i don't know how this works but isn't this max setting also sent/stored to the drone so when/if there is a flyaway that disconnects and rth is not triggered, the drone is less likely to drift off into the wind up and away towards manned aircraft?  i dunno.
eta:  the autel has a box where you enter the number and sliders and it's a pain because you not only have to deal with a cursor but you also have to use the save/return key to take the entry.  there's no way to accurately slide the slider when you have a range from 0 - 2000 on a 2-inch path.  try changing 150 to 250 at the bottom end, it's ridiculous so you almost always accept getting close.

2023-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amen to that
2023-4-7
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Yup. Agree 100%.
2023-4-7
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

I can see another poll coming on, soon...
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 4-7 12:14
I can see another poll coming on, soon...

It would be pointless, this has been asked for since the fly app was launched and a poll will end up filed with all the rest, it the %$£.
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just spent 5 minutes trying to set 122m, with GREAT care and with my finger still on the screen I could actually do that but as soon as I lifted my finger off the chuffing screen the setting jumped. I think I got 121 once and might have seen a 123m but definitely did see a 124m. However this is in a 1.1.6 or something similar version of the app.

BTW  I corrected the spelling of loathe lol.
2023-4-7
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 12:29
It would be pointless, this has been asked for since the fly app was launched and a poll will end up filed with all the rest, it the %$£.

Well that does seem to apply to the majority of polls... I was just being sarcastic...
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tut tut tut, you bad boy.
2023-4-7
Use props
Element115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

just fly 7 feet above your setting.  problem solved.
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please do tell us how one might do that?

If the drone finds itself above the maximum height it is likely that it will, AUTOMATICALLY, descend to the set maximum height or below it. I have see this happen when, with a Mavic Mini or Mini 2, I reduced the drone's maximum height setting to below the drone's current height.
2023-4-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 16:16
Please do tell us how one might do that?

If the drone finds itself above the maximum height it is likely that it will, AUTOMATICALLY, descend to the set maximum height or below it. I have see this happen when, with a Mavic Mini or Mini 2, I reduced the drone's maximum height setting to below the drone's current height.

ok i must be doing something wrong.  you've actually changed the max height setting during the middle of a flight?  i've never had this come up.  are you crossing from one zone to another?  when i do that, i lower the stick.
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh yes I quite frequently change both the max height setting and the RTH height setting during a flight, I don't fly in zones at all, It's just that if they differ greatly I set the heights I need for each bit of a flight.
However the flight I referred to was specifically a test flight to see what happened, basically half a dozen or so up and downs, changing the settings each time and seeing what they did to/for the drone.
One observation being if the max height setting was reduced to below the drone's current height then the drone descended to comply with the new setting.
A second observation was that if the Max height setting was reduced to below the RTH height setting the RTH setting was reduced to match the max height setting.
2023-4-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-7 09:39
it's just my opinion but i believe you are misusing the setting.  what are you going to do when the rules change and we are allowed to fly at 500ft, do we demand a sw update?  right now the limit is 400 feet, does dji remove all settings higher than 400 feet because of the rules? no?  aha, now you want to reference AGL....can't have it both ways.

laanc is mostly indicated in predictable increments such as 100 or 150 feet.  of course, you'll never match those increments precisely in the settings due to metric conversion.  how do you manage with the current settings?  you don't....because when you are flying under laanc, you manage your max height with the rc as the pic like you should.

Rest assured, if one set it to 410ft and something happened and the courts were involved, flying above the max height law and Article 241 would most certainly come into play and one would be in trouble, not to mention one would lose all drones in ones arsenal.

We all know your views on the laws, that you feel that some leaway is allowed, this may be the case but i for one would not like to take that risk, most certainly, not with height.
2023-4-7
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 13:14
I just spent 5 minutes trying to set 122m, with GREAT care and with my finger still on the screen I could actually do that but as soon as I lifted my finger off the chuffing screen the setting jumped. I think I got 121 once and might have seen a 123m but definitely did see a 124m. However this is in a 1.1.6 or something similar version of the app.

BTW  I corrected the spelling of loathe lol.

I notice that in metric it actually works fine. I can set it to any number I want...

But we all already knew that the imperial system was faulty...

PS

Any idea of why, what ever altitude I set, the actual drone it always stops around 3-4 metres below ?
2023-4-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 4-7 15:35
just fly 7 feet above your setting.  problem solved.

This is impossible...
2023-4-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-7 18:59
Rest assured, if one set it to 410ft and something happened and the courts were involved, flying above the max height law and Article 241 would most certainly come into play and one would be in trouble, not to mention one would lose all drones in ones arsenal.

We all know your views on the laws, that you feel that some leaway is allowed, this may be the case but i for one would not like to take that risk, most certainly, not with height.

that's not true at all.  the agl rule for your drone is based on the distance from your drone to the ground directly below it, not based on what you might have for a setting or what's indicated on your rc.  i would love for a lawyer in the courtroom to claim my drone was flying at 410ft in defiance of the law because the controller they confiscated had a max setting (which i set) at 410ft (or even if a log entry indicated).  i would laugh in his face if he based on that (and not gps coordinates).  the opposite is true as well, just because my controller is set at 250 doesn't mean my drone is not breaking the law while it's cruising around at 750 feet above the ground.  c'mon bashy you know this.

this is the reason why it's a little bit "flexible" because there's no way to accurately measure it much less achieve it.  that's what my flexibility in the law is based on....accuracy; not some conspiracy against the faa.  keeping a drone below 400 feet agl at all times is practically impossible.  if this were the absolute rule and it were based on settings, there would be no setting over 400.  and please don't translate this into some weird discussion about how i think it's ok to fly at 752 because "there's a setting in the drone for it."  the fpv has a bunch of pre-set settings in it, many are way above 400.
2023-4-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 18:12
Oh yes I quite frequently change both the max height setting and the RTH height setting during a flight, I don't fly in zones at all, It's just that if they differ greatly I set the heights I need for each bit of a flight.
However the flight I referred to was specifically a test flight to see what happened, basically half a dozen or so up and downs, changing the settings each time and seeing what they did to/for the drone.
One observation being if the max height setting was reduced to below the drone's current height then the drone descended to comply with the new setting.

ok very good.  do you know if this setting is stored in the drone meaning if you had a true flyaway and lost connection and rth did not kick in, would the drone drift away but stay below this setting?
2023-4-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-7 20:10
that's not true at all.  the agl rule for your drone is based on the distance from your drone to the ground directly below it, not based on what you might have for a setting or what's indicated on your rc.  i would love for a lawyer in the courtroom to claim my drone was flying at 410ft in defiance of the law because the controller they confiscated had a max setting (which i set) at 410ft (or even if a log entry indicated).  i would laugh in his face if he based on that (and not gps coordinates).  the opposite is true as well, just because my controller is set at 250 doesn't mean my drone is not breaking the law while it's cruising around at 750 feet above the ground.  c'mon bashy you know this.

this is the reason why it's a little bit "flexible" because there's no way to accurately measure it much less achieve it.  that's what my flexibility in the law is based on....accuracy; not some conspiracy against the faa.  keeping a drone below 400 feet agl at all times is practically impossible.  if this were the absolute rule and it were based on settings, there would be no setting over 400.  and please don't translate this into some weird discussion about how i think it's ok to fly at 752 because "there's a setting in the drone for it."  the fpv has a bunch of pre-set settings in it, many are way above 400.

For me it is true, as mentioned, as Iive where its flat.
2023-4-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Bashy. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We've already forwarded your concern to our designated team for feedback. We'll keep you posted. Thank you.
2023-4-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

IMO it would be FAR better to give us the option of typing in a value, I LOATHE these chuffing sliders.

Hi there. Thanks for your helpful suggestion. This function would indeed provide more precision and convenience to our DJI Pilots. As we understand that this has been requested in the past, but has not been implemented, we will continue to let our related team know of this feedback. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 4-7 23:16
Hi there. Thanks for your helpful suggestion. This function would indeed provide more precision and convenience to our DJI Pilots. As we understand that this has been requested in the past, but has not been implemented, we will continue to let our related team know of this feedback. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi DJI Tony, I do not doubt that the Mods forward these things to the appropriate sections, it's just a pity that thereafter it is rare for anything to happen, but thanks anyway for your attempts
2023-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-7 20:14
ok very good.  do you know if this setting is stored in the drone meaning if you had a true flyaway and lost connection and rth did not kick in, would the drone drift away but stay below this setting?

I am pretty sure that most settings are stored in the drone in permanent memory, the reasons being.
1) I have initiated, via switching the controller off, loss of connection RTH's whilst testing what happened when the failsafe option was set to ''hover'' and the drone was left hovering to "low battery". The drone RTH'd at the set height for that drone.
2) I have swapped controllers and phones for a given drone and have the impression the settings remained set to those that I had last set using the 'original' phone/controller pair.
3) With the app and controller switched on but not connected to a drone I have the recollection that RTH height, max height and max distance, appear in the app set to their minimums. As soon as the drone connects the settings change to those last set for the drone.
4) I have swapped a switched-on controller-and-phone pair between drones, I wanted to test something in the drones and couldn't be bothered carrying multiple controllers. From memory the heights etc. shown in the app changed as the controller and app connected to the 'new' drone.
2023-4-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 23:41
Hi DJI Tony, I do not doubt that the Mods forward these things to the appropriate sections, it's just a pity that thereafter it is rare for anything to happen, but thanks anyway for your attempts

We appreciate your understanding, Captain. Stay safe!
2023-4-8
Use props
fans21f46d12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129514 ft
United States

Bashy - I think this has been the situation since the rollout of M3P
2023-4-8
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans21f46d12 Posted at 4-8 04:13
Bashy - I think this has been the situation since the rollout of M3P

Perhaps but whats more interesting is, when i turned on the setup today to check something for someone, when i went into that screen, it actually said 400ft, i adjusted the slider and i could not get it to hit 400 again, i tried turning it off also turning off the drone and still  couldn't replicate it, very strange cause by rights, it shouldn't be able to hit 400 due to the increments, its impossible, yet it was there winking at me lol
2023-4-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 4-8 06:38
Perhaps but whats more interesting is, when i turned on the setup today to check something for someone, when i went into that screen, it actually said 400ft, i adjusted the slider and i could not get it to hit 400 again, i tried turning it off also turning off the drone and still  couldn't replicate it, very strange cause by rights, it shouldn't be able to hit 400 due to the increments, its impossible, yet it was there winking at me lol

I hope you did a screen capture.....for posterity.
2023-4-8
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

At least it keeps you under 400ft. I prefer this. I’d rather not be at 400 ft and have someone knocking on my door with fines thanks to remote ID
2023-4-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronethemoment Posted at 4-8 11:15
At least it keeps you under 400ft. I prefer this. I’d rather not be at 400 ft and have someone knocking on my door with fines thanks to remote ID

Being unable to set the max height to exactly 400ft wouldn't keep you safe from breaking 400ft AGL even if you subsequently always set the max to under 400ft by a narrow margin. The max height limit has nothing to do with AGL, it is solely and entirely relative to the home point.
2023-4-8
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-8 11:28
Being unable to set the max height to exactly 400ft wouldn't keep you safe from breaking 400ft AGL even if you subsequently always set the max to under 400ft by a narrow margin. The max height limit has nothing to do with AGL, it is solely and entirely relative to the home point.

I totally get that. I’m saying to me, it’s a bit comforting that I can’t go to exactly 400ft on my remote. I like the 6-7 ft buffer. You can at least claim ignorance or blame the remote if you busted altitude.

Besides the remote starts complaining that you’re above 400 and if it’s complaining I’m wondering if it’s transmitting.

Dude, former aviator here so I get the difference between 400ft AGL and 400ft MSL.  
2023-4-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dude, former aviator here so I get the difference between 400ft AGL and 400ft MSL.

Not seeking a fight here but I find it quite funny that you, as a former aviator (pilot?), would reference the difference between AGL and MSL in the context of our discussion when the drone's height limit is neither, was that a typo?
2023-4-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules