Range problems Mavic mini 2
5194 32 2023-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Markst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24669 ft
Norway

As I live in a no-fly zone (hospital) I only fly my Mini up in the mountains of Norway. We have a cabin at about 1000m, there is no industry, no power cables, no roads or cars. And yet, when I fly my drone (in line of sight), it cannot fly more than 1Km without losing contact. This applies whether I fly over cabins or just over the forests. I have tried airplane mode, uninstall and reinstall app, update firmware. Nothing makes any difference. This is NOT as advertised! Does anyone have any ideas? I use a Samsung 9+ as controller.
2023-4-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Markst. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience. The maximum transmission distance provided is measured in an unobstructed environment free of interference and shows the farthest communication range for one-way, non-return flights under each standard.
The distance of image transmission is closely associated with various factors in the current environment, including the interference of Wi-Fi signals, signal transmitting power, relative direction and location of signal reception, obstructions, etc. Here are some recommended troubleshooting steps you may perform:
1. Please ensure that the drone and RC's firmware, and the DJI Fly app's version are the latest.
Currently, the latest firmware versions are as follows:
Aircraft: v01.07.0200
Remote controller: v04.11.0200
App: v1.9.9
To ensure the optimal use status of the aircraft, we recommend that you update the versions to the latest versions or refresh them.
2. Place the antenna in an optimal position.

3. Please let your aircraft take off in an environment clear of signal-blocking obstacles (like trees or houses).
4. Check whether there is significant interference in the flight environment. During the flight, go to the Image Transmission Settings to check the real-time channel quality.
Common electromagnetic interference sources include but are not limited to the following: Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage power lines, high-voltage transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, and television broadcasting towers.
If the issue remains, please provide us with a video of the flight. Thank you.
2023-4-11
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

Unfortunately your web site only allows me to upload pictures, not videos. If I could, you would have seen a spectacular lack of Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage power lines, high-voltage transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, and television broadcasting towers. This is 1000m up in the mountains of Norway. If there is anywhere with less EM interference it would have to be the Sahara. I could understand if range got a bit uncertain over 6-8Km, but to claim 10Km, and I cannot fly 1Km is ridiculous.
2023-4-13
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

I have loaded the video to my YouTube account, here is the link https://youtu.be/1X4ptvsfMxg
The drone losed contact at approx 1:50
2023-4-13
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

Drone videp|
2023-4-13
Use props
djiuser_iLlP4HEF20Z6
New

United States

Hi can some one help me to check warranties of my drone .

304CJ493A3SAVK
2023-4-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Markst Posted at 4-13 04:57
I have loaded the video to my YouTube account, here is the link https://youtu.be/1X4ptvsfMxg

Your video is set to private.
2023-4-13
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

Try again now
2023-4-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems to me you flew over a tree covered ridge that may have blocked the signal. Trees in the line of sight between the drone and controller can kill the signal rather quickly. Ditto a ridge.

From the lack of motion I would guess the signal was lost around 1:50. Which I have just noticed you mention in post #2.
The drone then appears to do largely nothing until 2:37, which seems a bit odd to me since I think the failsafe behaviour is meant to kick in 11 sec after disconnection.
At 2:37 the drone turns but I am not sure what it is doing, the manual says it should retrace the original flight route for 50m, then climbs to RTH height. I do not know if it retraced the last 50m of the outbound flight or simply started to head for home but at 2:50 the gimbal twitches downwards twice, was that you?

2023-4-14
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

If you watch closely you will see that I increased altitude over that ridge and didn't drop down again, so I'm afraid that doesn't work. Yes, I briefly regained contact a couple of times (which may have restarted the 11 second count I don't know) but then lost it again almost immediately.
2023-4-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Markst Posted at 4-15 05:16
If you watch closely you will see that I increased altitude over that ridge and didn't drop down again, so I'm afraid that doesn't work. Yes, I briefly regained contact a couple of times (which may have restarted the 11 second count I don't know) but then lost it again almost immediately.

Hi Markst,

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog for this issue

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-4-15
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

The link is https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5GFTGJZZE2K3F9JQ0Y7I. I am not absolutely sure this is the right log as there is no simple name link between the videos and the flight logs. I guess you can tell me if it is right. The datae and time seem right, but there are no error messages when the drone turns round
2023-4-18
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

This one includes the error messages I experienced https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/39ZD83IT7L3X7T2KSIRB
2023-4-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Markst Posted at 4-13 04:57

Thanks for the update, Markst. We sent you a PM to gather more details for further investigation. Please check your inbox. Thank you.
2023-4-19
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

DJI Tony Posted at 4-19 00:04
Thanks for the update, Markst. We sent you a PM to gather more details for further investigation. Please check your inbox. Thank you.

Hi, i cant find a PM, which inbox are you refering to?
2023-4-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Markst Posted at 4-19 03:25
Hi, i cant find a PM, which inbox are you refering to?

Are you using a mobile phone to access DJI Forum? If yes, please note that it is currently not supported for Android devices. Please try logging in using a computer. Thank you.
2023-4-21
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Sweden

I submitted all the info I had, and was told this would be submitted to DJI. I have now been waiting for 4 months and have not heard anything. How long am I expected to wait for news?
2023-9-10
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

You can see your tiny mini 2 at 1km away? Wow you must be superman. Cause seriously I lose sight of my mini 2 after 300 meters. Lmao. You claim to fly within vlos but want to go 6-8km? Dji advertised 10km in their control environment. You will not get 10km or even close. I would say normally you would get maybe 2-3km in real world. But still that is breaking vlos law. Why would you need to go 10km? Please tell us.
2023-9-10
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

I am not sure what your problem is. DJI says the range of their drone is 10Km in line of sight. Line of sight does not mean that you can see the drone, it means there are no obstacles between you and the drone. I fly my drone above the mountains with no obstacles, no interference of any kind, and yet I lose contact after 1Km. What are you saying, i should be grateful for 1KM? What is this VLOS law you refer to? There is no video line of sight I know of, just bad advertising by DJI.
2023-9-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Markst Posted at 9-10 09:30
I am not sure what your problem is. DJI says the range of their drone is 10Km in line of sight. Line of sight does not mean that you can see the drone, it means there are no obstacles between you and the drone. I fly my drone above the mountains with no obstacles, no interference of any kind, and yet I lose contact after 1Km. What are you saying, i should be grateful for 1KM? What is this VLOS law you refer to? There is no video line of sight I know of, just bad advertising by DJI.

I don't know what category of flight you consider yourself to be flying in or, and more importantly, what category your CAA would consider your flight to be in but it might be wise to check with your CAA as I found this
''Fly safely and responsibly
  • Register and take the exam at flydrone.no.
  • Keep your drone in sight at all times.
  • Keep at least 5 km distance from airports and never fly near accident areas.
  • Always fly below 120 m from the ground and at a safe distance from others.
  • Respect other people’s privacy and follow the GDPR rules when taking photos or videos of others,''
on
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/en/ ... /fly-drones-safely/

If you wish to argue with your CAA over the difference in wording between the above and
''Table           In the open category, these standard rules apply:
  • The drone must weigh less than 25 kg.
  • The pilot must maintain a visual line of sight (VLOS) with the drone.
  • The drone must always fly within 120 meters of the closest point of the earth.''

and which set of rules are applicable.......be my guest.

That said I do think DJI should have answered by now ...... if they were supposed to

2023-9-10
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Markst Posted at 9-10 09:30
Do you know drones have laws you must follow? You might need to look up the laws before you get yourself in trouble. I know dji advertised their drones 10km 15km and 20km for the air 3. But that doesnt mean you can fly that far even if the drone is capable. You must be able to see your drones at all times. So i find it hard to believe you are seeing a mini 2 1km away. I have a mini 2 and i fly it maybe 200-300 meter and i lose sight and have to bring it back. Trying to go the advertised distance you are breaking the law. You might want to look up vlos aka visual line of sight. Below is quote from dji staff about vlos.
Screenshot_20230910_113722_Chrome.jpg
2023-9-10
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 9-10 10:43
Do you know drones have laws you must follow? You might need to look up the laws before you get yourself in trouble. I know dji advertised their drones 10km 15km and 20km for the air 3. But that doesnt mean you can fly that far even if the drone is capable. You must be able to see your drones at all times. So i find it hard to believe you are seeing a mini 2 1km away. I have a mini 2 and i fly it maybe 200-300 meter and i lose sight and have to bring it back. Trying to go the advertised distance you are breaking the law. You might want to look up vlos aka visual line of sight. Below is quote from dji staff about vlos.

So, in effect you are telling me that just about every single drone video on YouTube is breaking the law? Every follow me video is not in line of sight and therefore illegal, every beautiful drone video from above the trees is also out of line of sight and therefore illegal. So I alone should follow a completely meaningless and illogical rule, but everyone else is free to ignore it?
And what about all the other users on this forum posting problems with range over e.g. 400m away, are you pointing out these rules to them as well?
And whatever the validity of these rules, this does not change the fact that DJI advertise an effective range of 10km while I lose contact after less than one! As far as I am concerned that is false advertising.
2023-10-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Markst Posted at 10-14 05:44
So, in effect you are telling me that just about every single drone video on YouTube is breaking the law? Every follow me video is not in line of sight and therefore illegal, every beautiful drone video from above the trees is also out of line of sight and therefore illegal. So I alone should follow a completely meaningless and illogical rule, but everyone else is free to ignore it?
And what about all the other users on this forum posting problems with range over e.g. 400m away, are you pointing out these rules to them as well?
And whatever the validity of these rules, this does not change the fact that DJI advertise an effective range of 10km while I lose contact after less than one! As far as I am concerned that is false advertising.

"And whatever the validity of these rules, this does not change the fact that DJI advertise an effective range of 10km while I lose contact after less than one! As far as I am concerned that is false advertising. "

I believe Norway is a CE country in which case the stated range limit is 6km
"
Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE/SRRC/MIC)
" from page 46 of the manual and that's ideal condition.
It is well known that other environmental factors can reduce the control range.

2023-10-14
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-14 09:13
"And whatever the validity of these rules, this does not change the fact that DJI advertise an effective range of 10km while I lose contact after less than one! As far as I am concerned that is false advertising. "

I believe Norway is a CE country in which case the stated range limit is 6km

Well well, so I shouldn't complain losing contact after less than 1 Km, when the range should be 6 Km?
2023-10-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Markst Posted at 10-16 06:27
Well well, so I shouldn't complain losing contact after less than 1 Km, when the range should be 6 Km?

6 km in ideal conditions.

My Mavic Mini has broken it's supposed 2km range limit in one place, open sea, yet lost connection at 200m in another. Should I be annoyed about the 200m flight ?
No, why?
Because I realise the environment makes a difference.

Besides citing the wrong limit does your case no favours.
2023-10-16
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-16 07:04

My Mavic Mini has broken it's supposed 2km range limit in one place, open sea, yet lost connection at 200m in another. Should I be annoyed about the 200m flight ?

Well said
2023-10-17
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-16 07:04

My Mavic Mini has broken it's supposed 2km range limit in one place, open sea, yet lost connection at 200m in another. Should I be annoyed about the 200m flight ?

I don't see how getting the limit wrong hurts my "case" as you put it. I am simply complaining that a device which should have more than 1 Km range has less. And I am not sure what ideal conditions are, but I was flying in the mountains of Norway in the Summer with no obstructions between me and the drone, full batteries etc. No installations, buildings, power lines either. And I am not quite sure why everyone is being so negative to my comments, I understood this was a forum for exchanging experiences, getting help etc.
2023-10-24
Use props
djiuser_7cdHAXfLuuiM
lvl.1
Denmark

Markst Posted at 10-24 06:35
I don't see how getting the limit wrong hurts my "case" as you put it. I am simply complaining that a device which should have more than 1 Km range has less. And I am not sure what ideal conditions are, but I was flying in the mountains of Norway in the Summer with no obstructions between me and the drone, full batteries etc. No installations, buildings, power lines either. And I am not quite sure why everyone is being so negative to my comments, I understood this was a forum for exchanging experiences, getting help etc.

Im on your side;-) think that a range in the manual should have been tested in practice and it has obviously not. It must be some kind of theoretical value. Dji could prove how they tested it of course, if i am wrong.
2023-10-26
Use props
djiuser_TiR8G4OUNL9n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 225249 ft

India

Hi I have a image transmission signal week problem in my mini 2 . My drone lost signal in 5 to 6 meters on dual band settings.and in 2.4 GHz drone lost signal in 15 to 16 meters . Anyone have solution please reply...
2023-11-18
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Norway

djiuser_TiR8G4OUNL9n Posted at 11-18 07:49
Hi I have a image transmission signal week problem in my mini 2 . My drone lost signal in 5 to 6 meters on dual band settings.and in 2.4 GHz drone lost signal in 15 to 16 meters . Anyone have solution please reply...

Sorry, I still haven't received a response to my range problems after months of waiting!
2023-11-19
Use props
Biel
New
Flight distance : 328629 ft
Brazil

Markst Posted at 2023-11-19 06:04
Sorry, I still haven't received a response to my range problems after months of waiting!

Dude I've read everything and I still can't believe how patient you are...
I just got here cause my mini 2 is always disconnecting BEFORE 1km...

I am not sure what happened, but they should never ad that something can reach 10km if it can't reach 1km in a no obstacle environment... Ive tested it before and it could go like 5km no problem but now it aged badly! idk what happened....

it is so frustrating to come to a forum and see some random guy going around with a lot of pointless info about law and f ing see your drone, etc.. when the focus of the post is exactly about a range problem, nothing else!! And now I can't barely fly my drone....
1-9 14:12
Use props
Markst
lvl.2
Romania

Biel Posted at 1-9 14:12
Dude I've read everything and I still can't believe how patient you are...
I just got here cause my mini 2 is always disconnecting BEFORE 1km...

Thanks for your sympathy! As far as I can see almost no one who posts drone videos on social media is taking the blindest bit of notice about line of sight. When you think about it, it makes no sense, being able to barely make out your drone at a distance doesn't tell you what's under or around it, that's what the camera is for. I have pretty much given up ever getting a sensible reply to my problem. I hope you have better luck!
1-10 00:21
Use props
Biel
New
Flight distance : 328629 ft
Brazil

Markst Posted at 1-10 00:21
Thanks for your sympathy! As far as I can see almost no one who posts drone videos on social media is taking the blindest bit of notice about line of sight. When you think about it, it makes no sense, being able to barely make out your drone at a distance doesn't tell you what's under or around it, that's what the camera is for. I have pretty much given up ever getting a sensible reply to my problem. I hope you have better luck!

Just tested it now and it lost signal at 240m..

I came across some post that a guy had the same problem.
They had to replace the motherboard and it was fixed... Maybe we need to do the same
1-10 03:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules