Sync'ing and DAT's, questions for DJI and separate Qu for users.
761 6 2023-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have long had the impression that when logs are sync'ed with DJI the DAT's on the screen device are removed.
Questions for DJI, 1) am i correct in thinking this? If I am correct,
2) why is this done?
3) By any chance are the DAT's 'moved' to DJI? If so,
4) Can they be recovered from DJI WITHOUT CHARGE/COST to the pilot/user?

5) Just for curiousity's sake, is there anyway to sync from a computer if the logs have been downloaded to that computer WITHOUT a sync has been performed on the screen device?

Questions for users.
If you sync and if you have the ability to track the total size of uploads etc. passing through your Wifi, could you, before you sync, check
a) the total size of the .txt flight logs to be uploaded in the 'next' sync,
b) the total size of the corresponding DAT's,
c) the total size of the upload during sync'ing.
I am not sure if that would tell 'us' anything as I have the suspicion the upload is compressed but ... who knows.
I do not sync nor do I have the ability to track the volume of traffic through my wifi, or perhaps I should say, I do not know of a way to track the volume of wifi traffic through my Android phone.

2023-4-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can recover the raw dat files from the DJI cloud by syncing a free airdata account to your DJI account.   Airdata has partnered with DJI for log analysis.
2023-4-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks.
So, can I take it from that that the DAT's are in-fact 'moved' to DJI's servers during a sync? i.e. copied and then deleted from the App.
If so can you please explain how I can then see/access the DAT's on Airdata?  
Can Airdata's access to uploaded files on DJI servers be switched off?
As you can see from my mileage I have very few flights sync'ed to DJI but I wouldn't mind experimenting to see if I can see their DAT's if I give Airdata permission etc..
Currently I can of course down load the "Original" from Airdata i.e. the txt log, but I have manually uploaded the few logs that are on Airdata from computer etc. so I already have them 'safe' elsewhere.
2023-4-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. The text has affix with .DAT is the flight controller data that is stored in the aircraft. The one you synchronize from DJI FLY APP to our server is flight records. Synchronizing flight records will not have bearings on the flight controller data.
2023-4-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-12 02:08
Hello, there. The text has affix with .DAT is the flight controller data that is stored in the aircraft. The one you synchronize from DJI FLY APP to our server is flight records. Synchronizing flight records will not have bearings on the flight controller data.

Thanks Wanda but, with Mavic style drones,  there is also a DAT recorded on the screen device.
These seem to disappear when a sync is done.
In the Mavic style drones the DAT on the drone can not, as far as I know, be decrypted by pilots etc.. Only DJI DJI can decrypt that DAT on the drone.
2023-4-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-12 03:53
Thanks Wanda but, with Mavic style drones,  there is also a DAT recorded on the screen device.
In the Mavic style drones the DAT on the drone can not, as far as I know, be decrypted by pilots etc.. Only DJI DJI can decrypt that DAT on the drone.

May we know which remote controller with a built-in screen you are talking about?
How did you recognize the .DAT text will disappear?
2023-4-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply Wanda. By screen device I meant phone, tablet and or any DJI controller with a built in screen, so any phone, tablet or 'smart controller' really.

From where do I get the impression that the DAT disappears?
Multiple threads where people have been unable to find a DAT on their screen device AFTER they have sync'ed.

I, on the other hand, DO NOT generally sync (10? flights synced out of 2800+ 'Mavic style drone' flights ) which are across the Go4 and Fly. Apps. I have virtually every single DAT that was on the screen devices. I have lost/accidentally-deleted a few DATs and missed a few other DATs when I have not had a phone connected to the controller etc. but I would be surprised if I have less than 1500 DAT's from my Mavic style drones saved to computer. Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Mini, Mini 2 and FPV.  I will check the count later.
2023-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules