What inspiration do DJI engineers use for the drone startup sound?
1090 4 2023-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

As I was starting up my new Avata, I realized every DJI drone has its own unique startup sound, that somehow (at least in my head) evokes the essence of the drone. We all know that badass sound the DJI FPV makes when it starts up, right? The Avata sounds cute by comparison, and you know it would lose in a fight against the FPV (though it could hide being so small). And the Air series - it's got that classic, "Hello, I'm DJI" startup sound and would just do a helix quickshot capturing the FPV and Avata fighting it out, because someone would have to film that epic drone battle, right?

So this got me thinking about how DJI engineers come up with the startup sounds for their drones. Is there one person who does this? A team? What do you use for inspiration for the sound? Any DJI Engineers out there who could answer this?
2023-4-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you recall from long ago (not sure if this is still the case), eventually the user was allowed to choose custom startup tones for their mobile phone.  later, you were allowed to add your own personal tones.  not really a thing anymore since you rarely shutoff your phone but if i remember anything from those days, it's a single person (with approval) choosing from a list of available in the case of only one fixed allowed.  it's 2023 and things are different but i seem to recall this from memory and surely dji is a unique and special company that does things their own way.  im glad they mix it up; makes it interesting.  there was a time when all mobile phones powered up the same way with the carrier's tone and logo which is boring.  the dji fpv is quite fitting.  if it were me at dji, i would find out what marketing was currently using for the promos and try to copy that.  or maybe it's the opposite, you've selected this tone and you heard and for months and it's time to pull together the ad and you deliver the selected tone to the mkt team to include.  but what do i know.... ;)
2023-4-12
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The tones are the bloodcurdling screams of their competitors.
2023-4-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could always have the Christmas tune on startup

2023-4-12
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Checked the calendar DA, to make sure it wasn't April 1st!
2023-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules