An example of LightCut AI Editor end result
12Next >
1754 55 2023-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Tested the LightCut One-Tap Editing function with some footage I shot today. And here's the end result:

It did an okay job, though not completely like what I had thought. I will make a manually-edited version later on to show more how I intended the scenes to be like (I'll have to admit that the manually-edited version will be longer and somewhat more slow-paced though).

How do you like the results? Have you used the AI editor function? Were you happy with the results you got from it? I would also be interested in seeing examples, if you have uploaded them online.

2023-4-12
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I never used AI and I don't have any. It might be a good starting place if you can make manual changes at every edit point. Here I don't like the bad video effects with those lines...
2023-4-12
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Depp Posted at 4-12 09:18
I never used AI and I don't have any. It might be a good starting place if you can make manual changes at every edit point. Here I don't like the bad video effects with those lines...

Thanks for your thoughts. I do agree upon that having the choice to do changes is always better than not having it. I don't think I hate the video effects but they do feel a bit unnecessary. It was a quick test, I will try to make a more refined, manually-edited version later on for comparison.
2023-4-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You seem to have mastered the App.  I gather it's only available for phones and tablets, the idea being to be able to edit "on-the-go".  I'd much prefer to edit on a PC.
2023-4-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

For a mobile App I think it has good potential.  I'm just partial at this point to editing on my laptop or PC as I prefer to do my editing while back at my live aboard boat.
2023-4-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not bad but Im not sure I like those lines either,  but then Im old fashioned and you do see those effects on TikTok a lot.
2023-4-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is an interesting result!
2023-4-14
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 4-12 11:34
You seem to have mastered the App.  I gather it's only available for phones and tablets, the idea being to be able to edit "on-the-go".  I'd much prefer to edit on a PC.

Well, it could be a bit early to say I have "mastered" it as this is only one of my first tests, involving mostly basic functions. But seems to be easy enough to use.

The LightCut developers said in the corresponding thread that the app is currently only for Android and iOS, but also said they consider making a desktop version if there are enough requests from the users. And I do agree with you about the desktop editing, while the LightCut app seems to work good enough for the on-the-go editing, I think I will still use the DaVinci Resolve on my desktop PC for more through editing.
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-12 13:46
For a mobile App I think it has good potential.  I'm just partial at this point to editing on my laptop or PC as I prefer to do my editing while back at my live aboard boat.

I got to pretty much agree on that statement, though I use a desktop computer myself at home (my tablet-laptop hybrid is not powerful enough nor has enough storage for any bigger video editing).
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-12 23:36
Not bad but Im not sure I like those lines either,  but then Im old fashioned and you do see those effects on TikTok a lot.

I see your point. While those "old video" effects could work for some occasions, they could be executed better, and here, I could say they are somewhat needless.
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-14 00:03
That is an interesting result!

Thanks, I hope it demonstrates well what kind of results the AI editing can create. :-)
2023-4-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 10:29
Well, it could be a bit early to say I have "mastered" it as this is only one of my first tests, involving mostly basic functions. But seems to be easy enough to use.

The LightCut developers said in the corresponding thread that the app is currently only for Android and iOS, but also said they consider making a desktop version if there are enough requests from the users. And I do agree with you about the desktop editing, while the LightCut app seems to work good enough for the on-the-go editing, I think I will still use the DaVinci Resolve on my desktop PC for more through editing.

I've spent so much time learning the basics of Davinci, that I think I'll stick with it in the long term.
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 4-15 10:38
I've spent so much time learning the basics of Davinci, that I think I'll stick with it in the long term.

Not hard to see why. You have already invested a lot of time into it, and it is a very versatile software, so why change it if it works?
2023-4-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 10:53
Not hard to see why. You have already invested a lot of time into it, and it is a very versatile software, so why change it if it works?

And I'm not a particularly quick learner
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 4-15 11:09
And I'm not a particularly quick learner

Luckily, it doesn't need to be a race of being the fastest learner. What matters is that you get to know it and to use it in a way that suits your needs
2023-4-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 11:12
Luckily, it doesn't need to be a race of being the fastest learner. What matters is that you get to know it and to use it in a way that suits your needs

Like my teacher at school used to say, many years ago:   "Could do better"  
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 4-15 11:22
Like my teacher at school used to say, many years ago:   "Could do better"

I remember hearing somebody say that "The best is an enemy to the good." There is always something you can think to make better, but it doesn't necessarily mean the result you have is bad by any means.
2023-4-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 11:25
I remember hearing somebody say that "The best is an enemy to the good." There is always something you can think to make better, but it doesn't necessarily mean the result you have is bad by any means.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 4-15 11:37
Thanks for the vote of confidence

No problem, for what I have seen of your videos, I have thought them to be very nice No excessive effects or gimmicks, just straight to the point and showing what it is intended to.
2023-4-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 11:39
No problem, for what I have seen of your videos, I have thought them to be very nice  No excessive effects or gimmicks, just straight to the point and showing what it is intended to.

2023-4-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 10:34
Thanks, I hope it demonstrates well what kind of results the AI editing can create. :-)

It amazes me (and scares me sometimes)
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-15 13:05
It amazes me (and scares me sometimes)

Easy to see why. There have been mentions of some pretty frightening AI mishaps on the net.
2023-4-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 10:34
I see your point. While those "old video" effects could work for some occasions, they could be executed better, and here, I could say they are somewhat needless.

But would work well on tik Tok for sure.   My last TikTok had some interesting effects too

https://www.tiktok.com/@daflysdrones/video/7220815390069263621
2023-4-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 13:09
Easy to see why. There have been mentions of some pretty frightening AI mishaps on the net.

Yeah, and to realize this is only the beginning.
2023-4-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-15 10:32
I got to pretty much agree on that statement, though I use a desktop computer myself at home (my tablet-laptop hybrid is not powerful enough nor has enough storage for any bigger video editing).

Lack of power is normally a showstopper for me on a tablet.  I don't like Apple products so I bought a high end Samsung tablet but even it has limits when it comes to processing videos.
2023-4-16
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-15 23:52
But would work well on tik Tok for sure.   My last TikTok had some interesting effects too

The turning effects sure were eye-catching on that one.

One question about the background music: did you need to apply for some permission to use it in the video, or is it that the snippet is so short it falls under the quotation right and therefore is considered fair use?

It would be nice to use some known songs on my videos, but I have no idea what can I do without causing copyright strikes or infringements.
2023-4-16
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-16 00:13
Yeah, and to realize this is only the beginning.

Yes. I just wish that the voices of concern that have raised up lately about this will be taken seriously and not just swept under the carpet.
2023-4-16
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-16 04:44
Lack of power is normally a showstopper for me on a tablet.  I don't like Apple products so I bought a high end Samsung tablet but even it has limits when it comes to processing videos.

I haven't yet tried to stretch the performance of my Android tablet to the extreme yet (the one I used to edit the AI editor video) so don't know where the limits lie with that one. But I know for sure the hybrid I was talking about (Windows 10-based) is not up to the task. I still like it very much though, using it almost daily for basic web surfing, email, watching YouTube, reading these forums etc. I even wrote this comment on that one
2023-4-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-16 11:10
Yes. I just wish that the voices of concern that have raised up lately about this will be taken seriously and not just swept under the carpet.

I think it's too late.
It is already available in the wrong hands.
Just a matter of time.
That is the dark voice in me speaking.
2023-4-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-16 11:07
The turning effects sure were eye-catching on that one.

One question about the background music: did you need to apply for some permission to use it in the video, or is it that the snippet is so short it falls under the quotation right and therefore is considered fair use?

No, for TikTok and instagram reels you can choose from a huge selection of music and use it free.
2023-4-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-16 11:17
I haven't yet tried to stretch the performance of my Android tablet to the extreme yet (the one I used to edit the AI editor video) so don't know where the limits lie with that one. But I know for sure the hybrid I was talking about (Windows 10-based) is not up to the task. I still like it very much though, using it almost daily for basic web surfing, email, watching YouTube, reading these forums etc. I even wrote this comment on that one

So far that tablet is getting the job done for you.  
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-16 12:01
I think it's too late.
It is already available in the wrong hands.
Just a matter of time.

I do acknowledge the risk, but I think there still is hope, at least in some cases. Just read some news about AI making a song largely sampling and imitating known musicians, and their correspondent record label saying they will take strong action against it. If nothing else motivates people to pose some limits, then maybe money and legal threats could help. But time will tell...
2023-4-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-17 11:23
I do acknowledge the risk, but I think there still is hope, at least in some cases. Just read some news about AI making a song largely sampling and imitating known musicians, and their correspondent record label saying they will take strong action against it. If nothing else motivates people to pose some limits, then maybe money and legal threats could help. But time will tell...

It's a great unknown for sure.
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-16 23:26
No, for TikTok and instagram reels you can choose from a huge selection of music and use it free.

OK, that's cool to know if I end up trying TikTok some day.
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-17 02:34
So far that tablet is getting the job done for you.

Yes, it seems so. Has been a good tablet otherwise, too. Fits well with the Pocket 2, even the USB-C port of the tablet is located handily in a corner so you can actually attach the Pocket 2 straight to it without additional cables
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-17 11:25
It's a great unknown for sure.

It is, and having an element of doubt is not a bad thing. I believe that if we all blindly believed it to be just gold and roses, we wouldn't have an iota of a chance to stop it if it went wrong.
2023-4-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-17 11:30
Yes, it seems so. Has been a good tablet otherwise, too. Fits well with the Pocket 2, even the USB-C port of the tablet is located handily in a corner so you can actually attach the Pocket 2 straight to it without additional cables

Wow, that really is handy.  

Are you looking forward to the release of the Pocket 3?
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-17 11:40
Wow, that really is handy.  

Are you looking forward to the release of the Pocket 3?

I am interested in seeing what the Pocket 3 will offer, but I do find it somewhat unlikely that I would upgrade from the Pocket 2 (at least immediately) after the release, as the Pocket 2 has served me well so far and my budget does set it's own constraints.
2023-4-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 4-17 11:44
I am interested in seeing what the Pocket 3 will offer, but I do find it somewhat unlikely that I would upgrade from the Pocket 2 (at least immediately) after the release, as the Pocket 2 has served me well so far and my budget does set it's own constraints.

I hear that.  It needs to come with some upgraded functions and a bit bigger sensor to entice me.  
2023-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-17 11:49
I hear that.  It needs to come with some upgraded functions and a bit bigger sensor to entice me.

True that. Some rumors about the upcoming features have been pretty wild. For instance, if the water-proofing rumor turns out to be true, I do think that could be a gamechanger for many. But I don't think it will be easy to execute in practice with that many moving parts.
2023-4-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules