Auto RTH and Restricted Zones
860 8 2023-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_qZ4ozz9riuet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2146132 ft
Canada

I'm planning a flight that requires the drone to fly around a restricted zone to get to my target area.  When in the target area, my direct VLOS from the homepoint will be through the restricted zone.  My question is... In the event the drone loses signal and initiates RTH, will it automatically fly around the restricted zone or directly through it aka the red line?
2023-4-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

For sure the drone will not enter the restricted zone but fly back around it I'm not sure.  
2023-4-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RTH programming isn't smart enough to fly around geofencing boundaries..
A few drones have been lost this way.
You would have to manually fly the drone home around and outside the restricted area.
Or get to your target from a different direction.

2023-4-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

By any chance is the restricted area an air corridor in mid air rather than a "from ground level upwards" restriction zone?  If I remember correctly the Mavic 3 can automatically descend during RTH to fly UNDER a corridor, I do not know if the Mini 3 Pro has this capability.
2023-4-13
Use props
djiuser_qZ4ozz9riuet
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for the replies.  I'm pretty sure the restricted zone is from the ground up as it's a red zone so I'll have to re plan this flight.  But interesting to know that the Mavic 3 is capable of descending to fly under an altitude zone during RTH and I know a perfect spot to test this scenario with the Mini 3 pro.  
2023-4-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_qZ4ozz9riuet Posted at 4-14 06:02
Thanks for the replies.  I'm pretty sure the restricted zone is from the ground up as it's a red zone so I'll have to re plan this flight.  But interesting to know that the Mavic 3 is capable of descending to fly under an altitude zone during RTH and I know a perfect spot to test this scenario with the Mini 3 pro.

Before you do test, check the manual for what joystick movements cancel and RTH and in what phase of the RTH they cancel the RTH. Also be aware that, from memory, the Mavic 3 does not return to RTH height after clearing the corridor but finishes the RTH at the lowered height, that could be important.
2023-4-14
Use props
djiuser_qZ4ozz9riuet
lvl.3
Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-14 06:25
Before you do test, check the manual for what joystick movements cancel and RTH and in what phase of the RTH they cancel the RTH. Also be aware that, from memory, the Mavic 3 does not return to RTH height after clearing the corridor but finishes the RTH at the lowered height, that could be important.

The place I have in mind for this test is a very large open space so I don't expect the drone to fly into anything during the auto RTH.  But good to know this important detail for future flights in these altitude zones.  I will check the manual re what stick movements cancels RTH during the different phases.  Thanks!
2023-4-14
Use props
Christo_K
New

South Africa

Edit: I will create a new thread for my question
2023-12-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What drone?
I think one or more of the recent models can 'descend' to RTH height. Some others can descend to fly under an elevated restriction zone but the older ones basically do not descend until they are over the home point so it could run into the restrictions zone's wall and get 'stuck' .
Reading the drones manual will probably tell you what the drone can do.

What country are you in?
Most countries have a legal height limit for drones that is 400ft or 120m above the ground directly beneath the drone ( AGL ). If that is the rule where you are then, unless the ground climbs then the drone maybe at any illegal height .
2023-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules