RTH being off
782 24 2023-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I am having issues where my RTH being off.  Before flight I have the Air2S sitting on a landing pad.  The drone sees at least 16 satellites.  When it tells me that it is good for takeoff I go ahead and takeoff.  I let it hover at most 30 seconds so it can get a good view of the launch pad then I go fly.  When I initiate the RTH it always flys about 6 or more feet from the landing pad.  I have tried to re calibrate the compass, and calibrated the sensors on the DJI Assistant 2 app as well.  I have done everything that I can think of.  I have also cleaned the sensors.
2023-4-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

First RTFM!!!! Instead of "good for takeoff" wait for "Home Point has been updated". Then fly straight up for 25', this activates Precision Landing. Then it will land within inches.
2023-4-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the DJI Fly app indicates that the "Home point is being recorded/updated" after you flew the aircraft as MobileHomer said in the above post? Please have a test flight again and please make sure to have this and see if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-4-13
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-13 18:16
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the DJI Fly app indicates that the "Home point is being recorded/updated" after you flew the aircraft as MobileHomer said in the above post? Please have a test flight again and please make sure to have this and see if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Correct the Home point has been updated.
2023-4-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you do not launch the drone in accordance with the instructions to enable precision landing then the drone relies on GPS positioning and that isn't ft perfect.
2023-4-14
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-14 08:51
If you do not launch the drone in accordance with the instructions to enable precision landing then the drone relies on GPS positioning and that isn't ft perfect.

The drone is launching with the precise instructions, and I am giving it up to 30 seconds once in the air to establish its position and the landing site.
2023-4-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shawgod Posted at 4-14 13:41
The drone is launching with the precise instructions, and I am giving it up to 30 seconds once in the air to establish its position and the landing site.

In that case perhaps you could list precisely what you do when launching and include climbs to what heights and what horizontal movements you have the drone make whilst launching?
2023-4-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Shawgod Posted at 4-14 05:04
Correct the Home point has been updated.

Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this with out team. For now, kindly please try to have a test flight in a different location and see if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.  
2023-4-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Shawgod Posted at 4-14 13:41
The drone is launching with the precise instructions, and I am giving it up to 30 seconds once in the air to establish its position and the landing site.

No need to give it 30 seconds. Just go straight up 25' before flying off.
2023-4-18
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

I tried this in a completely different place and it did it there as well.  It was way off this time.  About 10 feet on average.  So I don't know if this is something that I should get use to or I am doing wrong.  I was only giving it 30 seconds as a test to see if it truly needed longer to get the landing point.  But apparently it did not need more time.
2023-4-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Shawgod Posted at 4-18 08:04
I tried this in a completely different place and it did it there as well.  It was way off this time.  About 10 feet on average.  So I don't know if this is something that I should get use to or I am doing wrong.  I was only giving it 30 seconds as a test to see if it truly needed longer to get the landing point.  But apparently it did not need more time.

When I follow the manual for Precision Landing, mine ALWAYS lands within inches. And this after flying thousands of feet in all directions.
2023-4-18
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-18 08:25
When I follow the manual for Precision Landing, mine ALWAYS lands within inches. And this after flying thousands of feet in all directions.

We should also suggest to have a landing pad with a well defined contrast ... If not, the precision landing may not work.

Definitively:
1) Use a landing pad that provides a good contrast versus the background
2) Wait until the GPS icon becomes green
3) Arm the motors and move up gently the left stick
3) Wait until the home point is updated
4) move up the left stick until you reach an altitude of 9m / 27 ft
5) Fly your drone away

At this point, when starting the RTH, the drone should land between few inches from the starting point.

2023-4-18
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

FabioV Posted at 4-18 08:36
We should also suggest to have a landing pad with a well defined contrast ... If not, the precision landing may not work.

Definitively:

I am doing everything that you have suggested.  I have a landing pad that is bright as hell.  I have tried both sides of the landing pad to see if that makes any difference, and it doesn't.  The GPS icon is green and has almost 20 satellites before takeoff.  The home point is always updated, I don't leave until it is updated.  I get the drone up around 25 ft up in the air and I let it hover there for up to 30 seconds for diagnosing for this reason.  Then I fly away almost 1000 ft then do a RTH.  I do 500 Ft and do a RTH and both distances I get the same landing distance from the pad.
2023-4-18
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Shawgod Posted at 4-18 09:29
I am doing everything that you have suggested.  I have a landing pad that is bright as hell.  I have tried both sides of the landing pad to see if that makes any difference, and it doesn't.  The GPS icon is green and has almost 20 satellites before takeoff.  The home point is always updated, I don't leave until it is updated.  I get the drone up around 25 ft up in the air and I let it hover there for up to 30 seconds for diagnosing for this reason.  Then I fly away almost 1000 ft then do a RTH.  I do 500 Ft and do a RTH and both distances I get the same landing distance from the pad.

Probably it’s time to open a support ticket.
2023-4-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

STOP letting it hover!!! Just fly straight up 25' and then go fly!!!
2023-4-18
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-18 14:47
STOP letting it hover!!! Just fly straight up 25' and then go fly!!!

I am only letting it hover for this test.  I am trying to get it to see the target on the ground to see, if any length of time is needed for it to RTH to the mat.  I normally fly it to 25 feet in the air and then fly it away.  
2023-4-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you fly it away from the home point and then bring it back using RTH does it, once it get's over the homepoint, does it turn to face in the same direction that it was facing when it took off?  Yes or no.
If yes, once it IS facing in the same direction does it then descend?

My M2P/Z behave like that if tehy are going to execute a precision landing, if they do not do that turn then they are going to do a normal GPS landing and it means that the take off did not meet the requirements specified by DJI for precision landing to be enabled.

Open question to everyone, might the Air 2s behave in the same way?

2023-4-19
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

I haven't noticed the direction that it is facing when it comes down.  When I take it out later today I'll pay attention to this and see what direction it is coming down.  I'll take it out to the field and check on that.
2023-4-20
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

FabioV Posted at 4-18 14:22
Probably it’s time to open a support ticket.

I don't know if there is anything mechanically wrong with the drone.  If there is a DJI representative on here is this something that I should send it back for?
2023-4-20
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

Another thing to consider trying is not using RTH. I never use it, unless it starts automatically because of some connection interference, and even then I disable it as soon as a connection is re-established. Flying home and landing the drone manually should be something you learn, it's a pretty basic skill, and not hard at all.
2023-4-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 4-20 07:18
Another thing to consider trying is not using RTH. I never use it, unless it starts automatically because of some connection interference, and even then I disable it as soon as a connection is re-established. Flying home and landing the drone manually should be something you learn, it's a pretty basic skill, and not hard at all.

You miss the point. Either he is not following proper procedure or something is wrong with the drone. It is an advertised function and should work as stated. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others shouldn't. If your new car has a backup camera that doesn't work, even though you never use it, would you want it fixed?
2023-4-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shawgod Posted at 4-20 05:11
I haven't noticed the direction that it is facing when it comes down.  When I take it out later today I'll pay attention to this and see what direction it is coming down.  I'll take it out to the field and check on that.

If you are going to test this then, start with the drone on the ground but facing in the intended direction of travel. launch it and fly the outbound leg of the flight in that direction. Once you get to distance RTH it.

This means the drone will do a 180 at the RTH point and, if you launched it correctly, it will do a 180 over the home point. I have checked a couple of youtubes and the Air 2s does seem to behave in this manner but the angle of turn in those videos were small, i.e. the drone took off faceing in nearly the RTH direction.

You could also post the flight log.

If you fly such a flight and it does not do a 180 over the home point then either your launch proceedure is incorrect or there is a problem with the drone or maybe the ground was too dark or in-distinct.
My mavic-2 precision-landed so that the camera was over a coin sized mark on the concrete exactly as I had set the drone on that concrete.

2023-4-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-19 15:19
When you fly it away from the home point and then bring it back using RTH does it, once it get's over the homepoint, does it turn to face in the same direction that it was facing when it took off?  Yes or no.
If yes, once it IS facing in the same direction does it then descend?

The answer is yes. When precision landing is available, the drone lands in the same direction it took off.
2023-4-21
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Shawgod Posted at 4-20 05:12
I don't know if there is anything mechanically wrong with the drone.  If there is a DJI representative on here is this something that I should send it back for?

If I were you, after following the suggestions from all of us whitout being successful with the precision landing, I would open a support ticket. Activating the precision landing is something really easy: in my case it happened the first time I tried. Nobody in this forum will open a support ticket for you and a DJI representative cannot provide more suggestions than the one already shared.
2023-4-21
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 4-20 07:18

I understand landing the drone is a fundamental all pilots should be able to do on their own.  I don't have any issues landing the drone on my own.  I am just trying to get this feature to work properly in case it is needed.
2023-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules