Netherlands

Still nothing?
2023-7-2
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
Flight distance : 279383 ft
United States

Nope. V1.10.6 still crashes on my P6P. This is just weak support.
2023-7-2
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32477 ft

France

tonered Posted at 7-2 10:25
Nope. V1.10.6 still crashes on my P6P. This is just weak support.

It's not weak, it's non existent
2023-7-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Why would anyone run Beta OS on their primary device? You should always have a backup. Some updates have permantly bricked phones.
2023-7-5
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-5 08:12
Why would anyone run Beta OS on their primary device? You should always have a backup. Some updates have permantly bricked phones.

Backup device? I am lucky to have a single phone as I would assume 95% of other folks, outside of a work phone.

As I and a lot of others have noted, the Fly app is a much bigger issue than the lovely Beta OSs.

Don't blane the victims here when a top tier company perennially gets stuck behind the 8 ball. This is not the fault of the Beta OS. Squarely DJI getting caught out.
2023-7-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

tonered Posted at 7-5 08:20
Backup device? I am lucky to have a single phone as I would assume 95% of other folks, outside of a work phone.

As I and a lot of others have noted, the Fly app is a much bigger issue than the lovely Beta OSs.

Only one phone? And you use beta OS. Not the most brilliant idea. The Fly app is probably the single most complicated app on your phone. Why would any developer attempt to keep up with a beta OS? Think about it!
2023-7-5
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-5 10:35
Only one phone? And you use beta OS. Not the most brilliant idea. The Fly app is probably the single most complicated app on your phone. Why would any developer attempt to keep up with a beta OS? Think about it!

You do understand the difference between a developer preview and a beta, right?

The DP (alpha) was out for two months prior to the first beta. In this thread, you can see that DJI was shocked and found sitting on their hands, yet again.

As previously noted (over and over), only DJI is ever a problem with betas. Sounds like you have no experience with Android Betas?

I'm not going to pass up excellent beta opportunities because of one app that will likely still be crashing after the full release is out.
2023-7-5
Use props
djiuser_CwAw7S5WBi9z
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134186 ft
United Kingdom

I have a fimi x8 and their app works fine on Android 14 beta, come on DJI sorry it out!
2023-7-8
Use props
jdenman03
lvl.1

United States

Android 14 is getting ready to go stable now and still the DJI fly app is crashing. Come on...
2023-7-8
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

Beta 4 available since a few minutes, downloading.
Prepared to be disappointed or not?
2023-7-11
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
United States

WazaBe Posted at 7-11 11:30

Ohhhh!  I'm jumping on it also.

This beta OS has been great beside the Fly app.
2023-7-11
Use props
exciter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249482 ft
Poland

Do you mean that app crashes on beta 4?
2023-7-11
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
United States

exciter Posted at 7-11 12:06
Do you mean that app crashes on beta 4?

Yeah.  We're in this for months now and no help.
2023-7-11
Use props
tonered
Second Officer
United States

WazaBe Posted at 7-11 11:30

Still failing here on Beta 4 and a free app DL and installation.

Oh well . . .
2023-7-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, everyone. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is caused by the incompatibility of the app. Currently, DJI engineers have determined the cause of this issue, please wait for the release of Google's official Android 14 version, and our DJI FLY APP will be compatible with the official version as soon as possible, please rest assured. We recommend to use an existing compatible Android system version in the meantime. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-12
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

Why are you the only company in the world waiting for the final release before releasing a fix? That's exactly the point of a beta version: allowing developers to test their applications and fix them before the release.

2023-7-12
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-12 01:43
Hi, everyone. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is caused by the incompatibility of the app. Currently, DJI engineers have determined the cause of this issue, please wait for the release of Google's official Android 14 version, and our DJI FLY APP will be compatible with the official version as soon as possible, please rest assured. We recommend to use an existing compatible Android system version in the meantime. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Why not to propose a beta program to the users that wants to collaborate in testing DJI Fly on the new OS releases ? This should speed up the testing and insure a better reliability of the application.
2023-7-12
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

WazaBe Posted at 7-12 12:37
Why are you the only company in the world waiting for the final release before releasing a fix? That's exactly the point of a beta version: allowing developers to test their applications and fix them before the release.

Internal testing is probably what they’re doing. There is not any reason to release to everybody a version that supports a beta OS, pushing all the customers to become beta testers. Most of them are not interested in Android 14, and DJI must insure the reliability of the app on the official OS.
If a beta program for DJI Flight  was in place, this kind of release would make sense, but limited to the subscribers of the program
2023-7-12
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

FabioV Posted at 7-12 13:22
Internal testing is probably what they’re doing. There is not any reason to release to everybody a version that supports a beta OS, pushing all the customers to become beta testers. Most of them are not interested in Android 14, and DJI must insure the reliability of the app on the official OS.
If a beta program for DJI Flight  was in place, this kind of release would make sense, but limited to the subscribers of the program

That's what all other companies are doing with success and happy customers. Why not DJI?
2023-7-13
Use props
djiuser_aO8HJTPrAm4T
lvl.1
Sweden

Android 14 beta 4 ( usually the last one before stable ) released a couple of days ago, not working either.

I'm a happy owner of the DJI Air 2S and, like many others, surprised that there is no official app in the Google Play Store ( any reason why? ) and that it's not working with a beta that is practically a final version. There is no doubt that the DJI drones are extremely well made. This resonates badly with not having official approved apps in the Google play store, and the lack of a working app this late in the development stage.

The public betas are mostly to sort out quirks in the OS itself, an app that crashes immediately after launch should be worrying for any dev. If the app is not working now, I doubt that it will in one month when the official release is out. The problems that everyone using the public betas are experiencing is just a sign of what lies ahead for every Android user, not an isolated issue for "suit yourself" beta testers who DJI should thank 4 testing.
2023-7-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

WazaBe Posted at 7-13 23:02
That's what all other companies are doing with success and happy customers. Why not DJI?

One - how many other apps control as many devices as Fly? NOT many!
2023-7-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_aO8HJTPrAm4T Posted at 7-14 04:39
Android 14 beta 4 ( usually the last one before stable ) released a couple of days ago, not working either.

I'm a happy owner of the DJI Air 2S and, like many others, surprised that there is no official app in the Google Play Store ( any reason why? ) and that it's not working with a beta that is practically a final version. There is no doubt that the DJI drones are extremely well made. This resonates badly with not having official approved apps in the Google play store, and the lack of a working app this late in the development stage.

Read th first section.
2023-7-14
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

FabioV Posted at 7-12 13:22

Quoted by mistake.
2023-7-14
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

WazaBe Posted at 7-13 23:02

Maybe because DJI wants to insure the stability of the app for the users that are using an official version of Android, (and the safety of their drones) and not the satisfaction of a few geeks that are playing  with betas.
2023-7-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

FabioV Posted at 7-12 13:19
Why not to propose a beta program to the users that wants to collaborate in testing DJI Fly on the new OS releases ? This should speed up the testing and insure a better reliability of the application.

Hi, FabioV. We'll take it as a suggestion of yours and we'll forward it to our relevant team for its potential.
2023-7-15
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

FabioV Posted at 7-14 11:18
Maybe because DJI wants to insure the stability of the app for the users that are using an official version of Android, (and the safety of their drones) and not the satisfaction of a few geeks that are playing  with betas.

There is no relation between stability for current version and supporting future versions.
I have been doing Android development since 2009 and none of the companies I worked for would have allowed such poor support.
API are now stable and there is no reason to not support, except lazyness.
2023-7-16
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

WazaBe Posted at 7-16 09:40
There is no relation between stability for current version and supporting future versions.
I have been doing Android development since 2009 and none of the companies I worked for would have allowed such poor support.
API are now stable and there is no reason to not support, except lazyness.

If you are a software developer you should know that every thing you change in the code can add issues. Here we’re talking about an application that controls drones of more than 1.000$ and there is not any reason to distribute to the mainstream a release for supporting an OS in beta version, if this can introduce some risks for the thousands of users that are using the stable version of the OS.
I agree that the full support for Android 14 should be available in the DJI Fly app as soon as the final release of the OS will be available. And also that can be a good idea to offer a beta program for the user that want help testing.
And please let me comment that corporations are not lazy … it is always matter of costs …
2023-7-16
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 414865 ft
Bulgaria

Looks like this will be my first and last DJI drone... Next one will be Autel or FImi.. I've had most of the Google Nexus and most of the Google Pixel phones, I like this early access to a new OS version and better change my drone, than change my habits. Not having the Fly app on Google Play store is a red flag, data leaks and permissions not suitable with google security standards. For the past 10 years, such thing app not forking on Beta 4 has happened to me only once, again Chinese app IoT device, app was accessing background data and google closed the hole. SO for me looks like the DJI Fly app is accessing some sort of data not so correctly. BETA 4 is nearly final, why shall I wait till October for official release? Beta 4 is fully functional OS, third party apps should be ready before first beta, Beat 4 is to polish the OS, having 204 apps in total, DJI Fly was the only one, which crashed. I'll keep this drone till I learn to fly and I'll buy an Autel or Fimi, phone make and my data privacy are more important to me, than my drone make
2023-7-17
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

travelmate Posted at 7-17 00:24
Looks like this will be my first and last DJI drone... Next one will be Autel or FImi.. I've had most of the Google Nexus and most of the Google Pixel phones, I like this early access to a new OS version and better change my drone, than change my habits. Not having the Fly app on Google Play store is a red flag, data leaks and permissions not suitable with google security standards. For the past 10 years, such thing app not forking on Beta 4 has happened to me only once, again Chinese app IoT device, app was accessing background data and google closed the hole. SO for me looks like the DJI Fly app is accessing some sort of data not so correctly. BETA 4 is nearly final, why shall I wait till October for official release? Beta 4 is fully functional OS, third party apps should be ready before first beta, Beat 4 is to polish the OS, having 204 apps in total, DJI Fly was the only one, which crashed. I'll keep this drone till I learn to fly and I'll buy an Autel or Fimi, phone make and my data privacy are more important to me, than my drone make

I agree that not having the app on the store is a very negative thing. I do not agree about the Android 14 beta support. You have 204 applications running, but please consider that the DJI Fly is probably one of the more complex (if not the most complex) app and it provides mission critical capabilities. It's not reasonable to compare it with the weather forecast or social network apps.
Anyway, I wish to you good luck with your next non-DJI drone.
2023-7-17
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Bulgaria

FabioV Posted at 7-17 00:56
I agree that not having the app on the store is a very negative thing. I do not agree about the Android 14 beta support. You have 204 applications running, but please consider that the DJI Fly is probably one of the more complex (if not the most complex) app and it provides mission critical capabilities. It's not reasonable to compare it with the weather forecast or social network apps.
Anyway, I wish to you good luck with your next non-DJI drone.

This complexity should be sorted out in April... Android 14 roadmap is published since February, final APIs are available already 3 months ... This is not a brand new OS it's an upgrade, BUT... Litchie, Rainbow have no problems with Android 14 beta and they are on Play store.. Too many questions arise
2023-7-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

travelmate Posted at 7-17 00:24
Looks like this will be my first and last DJI drone... Next one will be Autel or FImi.. I've had most of the Google Nexus and most of the Google Pixel phones, I like this early access to a new OS version and better change my drone, than change my habits. Not having the Fly app on Google Play store is a red flag, data leaks and permissions not suitable with google security standards. For the past 10 years, such thing app not forking on Beta 4 has happened to me only once, again Chinese app IoT device, app was accessing background data and google closed the hole. SO for me looks like the DJI Fly app is accessing some sort of data not so correctly. BETA 4 is nearly final, why shall I wait till October for official release? Beta 4 is fully functional OS, third party apps should be ready before first beta, Beat 4 is to polish the OS, having 204 apps in total, DJI Fly was the only one, which crashed. I'll keep this drone till I learn to fly and I'll buy an Autel or Fimi, phone make and my data privacy are more important to me, than my drone make

Maybe you need to research why Fly is not in the Play store. I'll help - https://shoutem.com/blog/android-app-bundle-google-play-store/
2023-7-17
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

travelmate Posted at 7-17 01:45
This complexity should be sorted out in April... Android 14 roadmap is published since February, final APIs are available already 3 months ... This is not a brand new OS it's an upgrade, BUT... Litchie, Rainbow have no problems with Android 14 beta and they are on Play store.. Too many questions arise

Just a couple of questions for you:
1) what happens if you crash your drone when using Litchie for a bug in the app ?
2) what happens if you crash your drone when using DJI Fly app on a supported OS for a bug in the app ?

My answers (maybe the yours are different ...):

1) Nothing. You're using Litchie at your own risk. You're risking your drone, they're risking nothing, or maybe just their reputation

2) You can claim for a free repair or a replacement, for sure if you're under warranty. I expect that a similar bug in the DJI Fly app may cause a lot of crashes all around the world with a significant financial impact on DJI.

Based on that I think it's quite reasonable that the DJI release strategy can be more conservative than the one of the other providers of drone apps.  
In addition, please consider that the Android version of the DJI Fly app is also used for the DJI RC and this makes the release management of the Android version of DJI Flight even more critical.
2023-7-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

FabioV Posted at 7-17 08:39
Just a couple of questions for you:
1) what happens if you crash your drone when using Litchie for a bug in the app ?
2) what happens if you crash your drone when using DJI Fly app on a supported OS for a bug in the app ?

Fabio, save your breath. These are the guys who will not understand logic and just desire to blame others. I have heard too many times of beta OS releases bricking phones to never use my main device for beta. These guys will refuse to understand the complexity of the Fly app and the difficulty of developing and testing with ALL the different drones it controls and all the different versions of Android 14 there will be. Service providers tweak the OS to their own specifications.
2023-7-17
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-17 09:12
Fabio, save your breath. These are the guys who will not understand logic and just desire to blame others. I have heard too many times of beta OS releases bricking phones to never use my main device for beta. These guys will refuse to understand the complexity of the Fly app and the difficulty of developing and testing with ALL the different drones it controls and all the different versions of Android 14 there will be. Service providers tweak the OS to their own specifications.

Good suggestion …
2023-7-17
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-17 09:12

Can you describe the complexity of the fly application compared to a banking application. Compared to a game running millions of different graphics and low level instructions?
Compared to streaming, augmented reality applications?

Asking for a friend

Thanks.
2023-7-17
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

WazaBe Posted at 7-17 14:13
Can you describe the complexity of the fly application compared to a banking application. Compared to a game running millions of different graphics and low level instructions?
Compared to streaming, augmented reality applications?

Mobile Banking applications are just a frontend for data input or for displaying dashboards. The complexity of the banking transactions is managed in the backend, not in the app.
They're quite simple to implement. The only factor of complexity is the management of the security, but this usually is performed using well established frameworks for the authentication and the authorisation.
I agree on  video games,  that are much more complex. But typically they're based on graphical frameworks and once the framework has been adapted to the new OS, the most of the job is done. And video games are not mission critical ... when they crashes a 1.000 $ drone is not lost ... You can tell this to your friend ...
2023-7-18
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Bulgaria

I'll agree, when I see DJI Fly app on the play store, till then it's a total shame for the market leader. FYI Autel Sky app is on the Play Store and not crashing under 14 beta... I doubt it's less complex
2023-7-18
Use props
WazaBe
lvl.2

France

FabioV Posted at 7-18 01:44
Mobile Banking applications are just a frontend for data input or for displaying dashboards. The complexity of the banking transactions is managed in the backend, not in the app.
They're quite simple to implement. The only factor of complexity is the management of the security, but this usually is performed using well established frameworks for the authentication and the authorisation.
I agree on  video games,  that are much more complex. But typically they're based on graphical frameworks and once the framework has been adapted to the new OS, the most of the job is done. And video games are not mission critical ... when they crashes a 1.000 $ drone is not lost ... You can tell this to your friend ...
It's really funny how you can have no doubt about saying such things
That's the beauty of internet discussions.
2023-7-18
Use props
fans23a741a4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 969006 ft
Spain

1.11.0 still doesn't work with Android 14
2023-7-26
Use props
exciter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249482 ft