AVATA GPS query
5371 36 2023-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ed Carreon Photography
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539019 ft
United States

My question to the group is, if I was going flying the AVATA indoors on a regular basis, would you recommend flying in only manual mode to avoid the lurching and unexpected movements from the Avata seeking GPS signals?  

I bought the Avata specifically for this kind of work but now I am hearing people say that they lurching and jumping from the Avata always looking for GPS.   There will be no acrobatics and little to no flying through gaps.   

Is there any way of turning off the GPS on the AVATA besides flying in manual mode?

The reason I ask this is because I have a large interior  FACTORY/INDUSTRIAL project at the end of the year and want to get ahead of this issue.

Manual mode or NOT?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2023-4-14
Use props
Fines Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dear DJI -

This is a big issue for the Avata!!  

It is such a great drone for real estate, but the GPS ruins it.

Please do a firmware update to give the option of turning off the GPS.
2023-4-14
Use props
Ed Carreon Photography
lvl.2
United States

Fines Aerial Posted at 4-14 10:30
Dear DJI -

This is a big issue for the Avata!!  

So it sounds like Manual Mode or the Avata is useless for flying indoors.
This makes absolutely no sense since the bird is supposedly designed for flying indoors.

Any thoughts folks?
2023-4-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ed. Thank you for reaching out. Taking off in Manual mode still needs a GPS signal while normally, there is no GPS indoors. Also, GPS can't be turned off manually but I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-4-16
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ed Carreon Photography Posted at 4-14 10:46
So it sounds like Manual Mode or the Avata is useless for flying indoors.
This makes absolutely no sense since the bird is supposedly designed for flying indoors.

In many indoor settings the GPS can manage to eventually acquire enough satellites to make a location solution possible. It's during the transition to a GPS location solution that erratic flight will occur.  

You could try to disable the GPS by covering the GPS module with aluminum foil or an adhesive metallic tape. I think it was a Mavic Pro where the GPS module didn't work because it was covered with the FAA ID that was printed on metal lined label tape.

2023-4-16
Use props
Edward Carreon
New

United States

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. I will post the results of my experiment.
2023-4-16
Use props
Edward Carreon
New

United States

2023-4-16
Use props
Edward Carreon
New

United States

2023-4-16
Use props
Edward Carreon
New

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-16 00:46
Hi, Ed. Thank you for reaching out. Taking off in Manual mode still needs a GPS signal while normally, there is no GPS indoors. Also, GPS can't be turned off manually but I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
I am not sure that you are correct since I have received notices in the past tell me that there was no GPS signal and I flew anyways without issue.
2023-4-16
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Edward Carreon Posted at 4-16 07:22

You might also want to cover the two vision system cameras on the bottom. Otherwise the Flight Controller may attempt to navigate using them.
2023-4-16
Use props
Ed Carreon Photography
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 4-16 05:59
In many indoor settings the GPS can manage to eventually acquire enough satellites to make a location solution possible. It's during the transition to a GPS location solution that erratic flight will occur.  

You could try to disable the GPS by covering the GPS module with aluminum foil or an adhesive metallic tape. I think it was a Mavic Pro where the GPS module didn't work because it was covered with the FAA ID that was printed on metal lined label tape.

Where is the GPS module located?
2023-4-18
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ed Carreon Photography Posted at 4-18 21:02
Where is the GPS module located?

gps.jpg
2023-4-19
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Poor Avata needs some cleanning... LOL
2023-4-19
Use props
Ed Carreon Photography
lvl.2
United States

Thank you BudWalker!!!!
2023-4-19
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ro_walker Posted at 4-19 06:54
Poor Avata needs some cleanning... LOL

So does my truck. Cleaning them won't last long. Both the truck and the Avata will soon get dirty again.
2023-4-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Edward Carreon Posted at 4-16 07:37
I am not sure that you are correct since I have received notices in the past tell me that there was no GPS signal and I flew anyways without issue.

Hi, Ed. Specifically, the drone will take off from the ground without GPS however, the distance and height will be limited and the home point will not be recorded and the RTH will not work.
2023-4-20
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

BudWalker Posted at 4-19 07:41
So does my truck. Cleaning them won't last long. Both the truck and the Avata will soon get dirty again.

Those things are meant to get dirty!! Happy flying!!
2023-5-9
Use props
Ed Carreon Photography
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 4-16 05:59

You could try to disable the GPS by covering the GPS module with aluminum foil or an adhesive metallic tape. I think it was a Mavic Pro where the GPS module didn't work because it was covered with the FAA ID that was printed on metal lined label tape.

Apologies for late reply but if I cover the GPS part of the Avata, won't I also interfere with the controller signal?
2023-5-13
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ed Carreon Photography Posted at 5-13 21:03
Apologies for late reply but if I cover the GPS part of the Avata, won't I also interfere with the controller signal?

No, the controller antennas are in the left and right legs.
2023-5-14
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 5-14 06:11
No, the controller antennas are in the left and right legs.

Thank you Bud!!!!
2023-5-14
Use props
Middel48
lvl.1

Netherlands

Please keep us updated on how your experiment went. I thought my Avata went crazy today when I went from outside to inside a larger building.
2023-5-17
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

Middel48 Posted at 5-17 13:42
Please keep us updated on how your experiment went. I thought my Avata went crazy today when I went from outside to inside a larger building.

I flew inside the movie studio without trying to block the satellite module and it flew just fine. It was a very, very large building with lots of impediments between me and the drone, so I lost RC connection once it went outside and there was an additional metal wall between us. At that point, the drone just went bonkers and crashed.

So the problem I encountered was not intermittent GPS signals but too much environmental interference. I have looked into using repeaters but no one seems to know about how I would go about doing this. I am not sure it is a thing beyond use for radios. I would love to hear otherwise.

This happened several times. I did get some decent footage indoors but it required some stabilization in post-production and a friend of mine is speed-ramping the piece as well.
2023-5-17
Use props
bryhudso-sp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 952589 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do a lot of interior filming for commercial properties. Never had an issue with erratic flying using Avata because of GPS, not even when flying near larger windows. I use motion controller 2 for all of my work.
2023-8-19
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

Middel48 Posted at 5-17 13:42
Please keep us updated on how your experiment went. I thought my Avata went crazy today when I went from outside to inside a larger building.

I had something similar happen while flying my Avata in a Movie studio.

There were a lot to wooden structures between my drone and the controller but the minute it went outside and there were metal walls between the drone and the controller, it went bonkers and crashed.

I think it has to do with a metal walls.

I did not have this problem while launching my drone from outside a building while I was inside, I assume because the building was constructed of wood.
2023-8-20
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

bryhudso-sp Posted at 8-19 17:08
I do a lot of interior filming for commercial properties. Never had an issue with erratic flying using Avata because of GPS, not even when flying near larger windows. I use motion controller 2 for all of my work.

Hi bryhudso-sp, may I ask whey you don't fly with the with the RC instead? What advantages do you find in working with the controller 2
2023-8-20
Use props
Fermi_ARG
lvl.1

Argentina

Hello from Argentina! Looking for answers to my problem, I found this post.

That's exactly what's happening to me: the Avata without GPS works fine, the problem comes when it "searches for satellites?" and I lose a little control. That is, it flies normally until the "Fly carefully (without GPS" message appears, that is when it makes involuntary movements.
2023-9-14
Use props
Andy T.
lvl.1
United States

DJI should seriously consider adding in the option to DISABLE the GPS requirements for the Avata & all other drones for two good reasons:

1) The Remote ID function is STILL not required! IT has been pushed back - yet again - so that the requirement to tether the drones to a phone & DJI Fly app is nothing more than punishing users for utilizing the company's products. Having it as an option? Certainly! But making it REQUIRED is putting an artificial block on the use of products that is definitely turning away customers. And even WHEN the Remote ID requirement goes in, the option to disable the system's option should still hold for older systems because...

2) There are 3rd party modules that can be used which are LESS intrusive! Multiple modules are available on the market right now that perform the same functions of Remote ID without the hassle of preventing usability or tethering the user to a phone (and/or preventing the use of the drone without it). Granting the user the ability to use these modules puts the adherence of Remote ID on the USER. The COMPANY can include the OPTION in the software - absolutely (that covers them in legal terms) - but allow the user to OPT OUT of the feature. Even having them agree when turning it off something like:

"By Disabling the Remote ID requirements for this drone, I agree that my use does not require adhering to the Remote ID requirements and/or I am using a separate module to accomplish this goal." DJI then has done what they were required and it puts the actual use of Remote ID (when its even required) squarely on the USER. Meanwhile, while its NOT required, people can opt out of it on the software and actually use the drones they paid for in a manner that they wish without jumping through a half-dozen hoops. And that change would be EASILY done through a simple firmware update too.
2023-9-22
Use props
CCSO
lvl.1

United States

Andy T. Posted at 9-22 06:44
DJI should seriously consider adding in the option to DISABLE the GPS requirements for the Avata & all other drones for two good reasons:

1) The Remote ID function is STILL not required! IT has been pushed back - yet again - so that the requirement to tether the drones to a phone & DJI Fly app is nothing more than punishing users for utilizing the company's products. Having it as an option? Certainly! But making it REQUIRED is putting an artificial block on the use of products that is definitely turning away customers. And even WHEN the Remote ID requirement goes in, the option to disable the system's option should still hold for older systems because...

Although the RID enforcement for pilots has been bumped, the rule for manufacturers is still in place and they are required to build it in. I do agree there should be an option to disable with the warning you posted, as there are waivers to fly without RID, particularly for public service.
2023-10-2
Use props
fans02dcefb2
lvl.1

Belgium

Please add a function to disable gps. I'm flying inside in my appartment and sometimes I can't take off because I live close to an airport(20km). I have to move my takeoff place every time. It's very annoying.
2023-10-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans02dcefb2 Posted at 10-2 22:59
Please add a function to disable gps. I'm flying inside in my appartment and sometimes I can't take off because I live close to an airport(20km). I have to move my takeoff place every time. It's very annoying.

Thank you for your recommendations. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-10-8
Use props
Marcus67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5852530 ft
Canada

I too have problems. I thought its the vision system issue initially but I come to conclude it is likely the transition to GPS that is the likely issue. If DJI can't turn off the GPS or have the option to turn off GPS due to RID, perhaps DJI can include an option to make the GPS transition better while flying indoors? Perhaps a function to have vision system priority over GPS or maybe an option to Transition To GPS only when signal is extremely strong.

I do real estate videography and some places the drone consistently flies erratically. I kept on experimenting and figure if it was the vision system, rotor wash, or something else (i use motion 2 controller) and discovered the common trend in multiple homes that is when the AVATA is transitioning from vision to GPS while indoor but the GPS signal is probably not good, the drone usually drifts in the direction it is already travelling in and quick action and recovery is needed which usually ruins the shot.
2023-10-15
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

This is an update to flying indoors.
I have flown indoors in close quarters and in large warehouses, but only in normal or sports mode and it seems to work best in large structures. Eventually, I will fly in manual mode, I suspect. I have had issues with latency, drift, and lurching when flying in small structures like offices or houses where there are a lot of walls between the controller and the Avata.

I wish there were such a thing as a repeater that I could buy from DJI where I could fly in large structures like warehouses with lots of racks in order to extend the range. Hint, Hint DJI !!!! That would be a game-changer for me.

The Avata is a tank and while practicing maneuvers I have crashed it many times, though never at high speeds. Just practicing slow maneuvers at low altitudes through tight quarters. It has not become indispensable to my goals. I look forward to whatever the new iteration of the Avata will be. There is just nothing like this drone out there, if you want to fly commercially indoors,
2023-10-16
Use props
Sanpanza
lvl.2
United States

Marcus67 Posted at 10-15 20:09
I too have problems. I thought its the vision system issue initially but I come to conclude it is likely the transition to GPS that is the likely issue. If DJI can't turn off the GPS or have the option to turn off GPS due to RID, perhaps DJI can include an option to make the GPS transition better while flying indoors? Perhaps a function to have vision system priority over GPS or maybe an option to Transition To GPS only when signal is extremely strong.

I do real estate videography and some places the drone consistently flies erratically. I kept on experimenting and figure if it was the vision system, rotor wash, or something else (i use motion 2 controller) and discovered the common trend in multiple homes that is when the AVATA is transitioning from vision to GPS while indoor but the GPS signal is probably not good, the drone usually drifts in the direction it is already travelling in and quick action and recovery is needed which usually ruins the shot.

Prop was will definitely cause lurching and the trick to that is to speed up. Also walls can cause latency in the Avata.
2023-10-16
Use props
Marcus67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5852530 ft
Canada

Sanpanza Posted at 10-16 07:19
Prop was will definitely cause lurching and the trick to that is to speed up. Also walls can cause latency in the Avata.

I consider about prop wash as well and sped up my indoor speed a bit to no avail at a stubborn spot in my home. Sometimes line of sight indoors it always drift at specific spot still so transmission and wall blockage isn’t the issue. My googles playback does show changes in gPS strength when it drifts. I’m pretty sure I considered all factors but the gps connection really ruins it when the drone thinks gps strength is good and somehow disregard vision system for hover stability even though the AGL is within the vision system range of detection

I have to very quickly correct the drifts or else….. and those correction ruins the shots
2023-10-22
Use props
dronestudione
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Edward Carreon Posted at 2023-4-16 07:22

Did you manage to experiment with this? Any results/solutions?
1-18 04:18
Use props
djiuser_H0e4ijaZ20Ke
lvl.1
Serbia

Well there is always this option guys
Took this sucker out completely...
And its great, no warnings, no limitations beside RTH and 50m in altitude, but its to sensitive to wind to fly it that high anyways...gonna use it only for interior, around the house recording and maybe some acro, for what its actually intended duuh.
(no distance limit, no NFZ)

20240204_140343.jpg
2-4 08:53
Use props
djiuser_H0e4ijaZ20Ke
lvl.1
Serbia

Interesting notion, it was so easy, didn't even have to use the screwdriver, just popped the plastic top, removed the board cover and unsoldered the GPS patch antenna that had only one pin. (no need for any extra resistors unlike vtx or rc antennas, just leave the hole or thats what she said )

Tested it today, best decision ever, and the best part is I can as easly pop the antenna back in like nothing even happend.

Feel like the engineers intentionally made it so easy, cuz they know how dumb it was to limit all this...you pay so much and you get a brick...DJI is slowly turning into Apple...thats not a compliment.
2-4 08:55
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules