Lost drone. No lateral control Mavic Air 2
875 16 2023-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27253127 ft
Mexico

Question: If the Mavic 2 battery becomes critical, Is lateral control disabled once the RTH point is reached? This is the only thing I can think of right now other than some other malfunction. I Haven't found much of anything useful using google. The RTH point was over water and the drone was lost only a few meters from safety. I could not navigate to a safe landing no matter what direction I attempted to fly. The loss was completely avoidable.

Second question- Is there a method to override forced descent during critical battery? This feature has caused its fair share of problems while flying over water. I would prefer to have the drone perform normally until it falls out of the sky. The forced landing has never been helpful in any situation and I really want to disable that feature. 15% is enough power to correct the situation manually without having to force vertical flight with my left thumb while looking for a new landing location. Thanks in advance.
2023-4-15
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Maybe this:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-222501-1-1.html

PS

Is your avatar showing your RTH point?
2023-4-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edit, I thought this was a Mavic 2 Pro so comments relating that have been deleted. My Mistake. Though it appears others also had a similar impression.

With regards to "I would prefer to have the drone perform normally until it falls out of the sky." I would suggest that it is fortunate the DJI have more sense than to allow that.
Even if YOU only fly the battery to exhaustion over water, others would certainly fly it to exhaustion over land and a free-falling Mavic 2 coming down on someone's head could possibly kill.

2023-4-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If the Mavic 2 battery becomes critical, Is lateral control disabled once the RTH point is reached?
You should still have lateral control, but you are unable to cancel the Critical Low Voltage Autolanding.

The loss was completely avoidable
That part sounds correct.
Why was the homepoint over water?
Why did you run your battery so low before bringing the drone in.
Those are things that are completely avoidable.

If you post flight data, that will show whether lateral control was available.
There might be some lessons in there to help you prevent getting into that situation in future.

2023-4-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you not have the ability to cancel the RTH? I ran my M2P way too far away once and it started a forced RTH. I was able to cancel it and regain manual control redirecting the path to one over land. Happy ending. But to be honest that was before the last firmware update.
2023-4-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 4-15 20:23
Did you not have the ability to cancel the RTH? I ran my M2P way too far away once and it started a forced RTH. I was able to cancel it and regain manual control redirecting the path to one over land. Happy ending. But to be honest that was before the last firmware update.

You can always cancel RTH, but when things get to a Critical Low Voltage autolanding, that's a different matter.
2023-4-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-15 20:28
You can always cancel RTH, but when things get to a Critical Low Voltage autolanding, that's a different matter.

OK, drone becomes the driver in the seat then right?
2023-4-15
Use props
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Mexico

Labroides Posted at 4-15 14:36
If the Mavic 2 battery becomes critical, Is lateral control disabled once the RTH point is reached?
You should still have lateral control, but you are unable to cancel the Critical Low Voltage Autolanding.

The drone was less than 100 meters away when the first RTH warning displayed (30% power). I cancelled it to fly home manually, as usual, and immediately noticed the loss of lateral control. I spent the next few minutes trying to fly in any direction but nothing worked. I had more than enough power to return safely, with a distant visual on the drone.

The forced descent eventually started while I continued to try rotating the drone to fly in any direction to reach the shoreline.

98% of my flights are over water. The drone had 500 miles of flights logged. This wasn't a complex flight plan. I thought someone here might have told me, "Oh, that's a new feature in the firmware. The RTH locks lateral control when the waypoint is reached..." or something like that.

I'm beginning to believe it was a malfunction of the controller.

In hindsight, I might have been able to save the drone by moving the homepoint, then executing RTH. The flight log will hopefully provide all the answers.

I'd like to post the flight data and discover the cause. Where exactly do I post the flight data? Do I just start a new thread?

2023-4-16
Use props
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Mexico

GaryDoug Posted at 4-15 20:23
Did you not have the ability to cancel the RTH? I ran my M2P way too far away once and it started a forced RTH. I was able to cancel it and regain manual control redirecting the path to one over land. Happy ending. But to be honest that was before the last firmware update.

Yes. I cancelled RTH to fly home manually and that's when the trouble began. At that point, I had more than enough power for several more minutes of flight time. The drone was close and would have landed with more than 20% battery.
2023-4-16
Use props
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Mexico

Thanks but no, there was no flying in ANY direction. Normally, I fly with avoidance disabled. I did turn it on and off just to see if that would clear the problem. No luck.
2023-4-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans561c23c6 Posted at 4-16 09:25
The drone was less than 100 meters away when the first RTH warning displayed (30% power). I cancelled it to fly home manually, as usual, and immediately noticed the loss of lateral control. I spent the next few minutes trying to fly in any direction but nothing worked. I had more than enough power to return safely, with a distant visual on the drone.

The forced descent eventually started while I continued to try rotating the drone to fly in any direction to reach the shoreline.

With regards to posting the log, upload it to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
which also shows instructions on how to retrieve the flight log, then post the resulting link here.
2023-4-16
Use props
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Mexico

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-16 10:23
With regards to posting the log, upload it to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
which also shows instructions on how to retrieve the flight log, then post the resulting link here.

Thanks. Will do.
2023-4-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems like you have a handle on what the issue is and know enough to avoid it in the future.  
2023-4-16
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

fans561c23c6 Posted at 4-16 09:34
Thanks but no, there was no flying in ANY direction. Normally, I fly with avoidance disabled. I did turn it on and off just to see if that would clear the problem. No luck.

Sorry, this is a bit confusing... You have even in the title of your thread the word "lateral" and in your post you are saying that the battery was critical. That does imply to me that you were in forced landing not a simple RTH.

Now you are saying that it was not controllable in ANY direction, that's not the same as saying lateral...

So, which one was it?

I'm sure that if you post your log, it would be a lot easier to understand what has happened as often, what we see and what it is are not always the same...
2023-4-16
Use props
fans561c23c6
lvl.1
Mexico

Burt37 Posted at 4-16 12:04
Sorry, this is a bit confusing... You have even in the title of your thread the word "lateral" and in your post you are saying that the battery was critical. That does imply to me that you were in forced landing not a simple RTH.

Now you are saying that it was not controllable in ANY direction, that's not the same as saying lateral...

You're correct. I should have written that at first. I guess I thought it was implied because I was trying to reach the shoreline by flying laterally or on any axis available by rotating the drone. The logs should tell me what happened so I can avoid repeating the error and I'll try to be more descriptive in future posts.

I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade. I flew that drone for almost three years without issue and I'm very sad to lose it.

The battery became critical while I was trying to work through the problem after cancelling RTH. I didn't know I had lost control until I tried to return home.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll post the results from the log dump.
2023-4-16
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

fans561c23c6 Posted at 4-16 13:55
You're correct. I should have written that at first. I guess I thought it was implied because I was trying to reach the shoreline by flying laterally or on any axis available by rotating the drone. The logs should tell me what happened so I can avoid repeating the error and I'll try to be more descriptive in future posts.

I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade. I flew that drone for almost three years without issue and I'm very sad to lose it.

No worries mate,
2023-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans561c23c6 Posted at 4-16 09:25
The drone was less than 100 meters away when the first RTH warning displayed (30% power). I cancelled it to fly home manually, as usual, and immediately noticed the loss of lateral control. I spent the next few minutes trying to fly in any direction but nothing worked. I had more than enough power to return safely, with a distant visual on the drone.

The drone was less than 100 meters away when the first RTH warning displayed (30% power). I cancelled it to fly home manually, as usual, and immediately noticed the loss of lateral control.

That's not at all normal.
After you cancel RTH the drone should have been able to fly as normal and you should have had much more time than needed to get back to dry land.
It sounds like something else might have been the problem.

I'm beginning to believe it was a malfunction of the controller.
The problem was probably not the controller.
It will be interesting to see the flight data and work out what the issue was.

I'd like to post the flight data and discover the cause. Where exactly do I post the flight data? Do I just start a new thread?
Just post here in this thread to keep things together.

2023-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules