is the Action 3 enought for this?
3877 8 2023-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dan1111
New

Bolivia

Hi newb here,

Looking to record videos over 1 hour walks  at 4k/60 fps  with no overheating, enough battery life ,high stabilization.
Also im new to these types of cameras, can I put HDR option on 4k/60fps ?

What if I walk over 2 hours? will the battery last?
Can i walk with a powerbank plugged in while recording?
Will it last in high summer temperatures?
Will the battery last much less with an added mic for better surround sound?
would you recomend other camera for this?

Thank you!

2023-4-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Dan. The Action 3 has been great as far as overheating goes for me. It is one of the better cameras in that respect. (IMO, also one of the better ones for colour too)

Trouble is, in the UK it never really gets massively hot. (Or at least rarely) It depends what temperatures that you are talking about.

However, it does way better than my GoPros in Hi res and fast shutter speeds as far as getting hot goes.

Have you actually got an Action 3 now?

HDR works up to 4K 30fps, not 60.

Action 3 has one of the best battery lives of all Action cams. Makes GoPros look underpowered!

Mics take a little bit of voltage to work, but it's not a lot and worth it for the improvement in sound.

For really long shooting, I use camcorders would you believe? I have four and they go on forever. They are really good for videoing shows which I do a lot of locally. The ones that I use are Sonys. A lot bigger but keep videoing for a very long time.

I've never felt the need to use a power block with mine because the battery life is good. So not sure if that works while videoing, but someone will get back.....

2023-4-17
Use props
dan1111
New

Bolivia

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-17 00:58
Hi Dan. The Action 3 has been great as far as overheating goes for me. It is one of the better cameras in that respect. (IMO, also one of the better ones for colour too)

Trouble is, in the UK it never really gets massively hot. (Or at least rarely) It depends what temperatures that you are talking about.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have one yet still in the search for an adecuate camera.

Im looking to travel thru Asia in May and July so temp should be between 26 and 41 celcius.

I would like to make videos walking thru cities from 10 minutes up to 2 hours.

If I can do it on 4k HDR would the battery last?  And would the camera overheat? This with high stabilization and extra mic.
2023-4-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

41 is pretty hot. I’m presuming that you don’t want to video solid for two hours without stopping? If you are stopping and starting, I reckon the Action will do it. It might have a problem with a solid two hours in heat, like most cameras would.

It sounds to me like you’re making those ‘tours’ where people video while walking around a place. That’s quite demanding in a hot place.

It wouldn’t harm, to just stop and have a break and then start up again to give the camera a breather.

HDR will only supply 30fps. I recently did a video in 60fps on the Action but when the contrast was too high, I switched to HDR and used 30fps but rendered to 60, so that the whole video was in 60. You couldn’t see any difference as long as you walked and didn’t run!

Action is one of the best for non heating issues. (Also, extreme cold - I have no idea how they did that!!!)

I'm not aware that HDR uses more power. Again, someone here will know.

2023-4-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I seen people using Pocket 2 in 4K for walking, but think they had to take breaks since that camera will overheat fast.

I'm not sure how good OA3 will be, but probably way better than many other cameras out there. You doesn't need highest stabilization (RS+) since ordinary RockSteady is more than stable enough for pleasent footage.
2023-4-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I don’t use 4K so I don’t know if the battery can last for 2 hours, but you can definitely get around 160 minutes (2:40) out of it when using 1080p 30 fps and RockSteady - provided the screen is off. Best to have 2 batteries or a power bank.

If you have 2 batteries and a power bank, you can plug in the power bank while you switch out the battery during recording. Once I tested 4K 30fps for around 35 minutes, just in room temperature. In my case there was no significant heat and the camera was barely warm. I read some people experienced heat problems even after 20 minutes. Seems to be a hit and miss.
2023-4-17
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

What if I walk over 2 hours? will the battery last?  DJI said it will run a long time, but they did not say how to set up for Longer run times, you will need to adjust th brightness, the  fps, resolution etc, for longer run times.

Can i walk with a powerbank plugged in while recording?  Yes the DJI is great to do that  its about 1K per hour, it may also help to remove the battery  for heat issues but also  keep in mind if the plug gets pulled you lose the file, it should save if failure happens

Will it last in high summer temperatures?  last can be will it  get damaged due to heat, will it crash due to heat, the camera works best when shooting action sports that are what a  minute to a few minutes time. not non-stop  24 hour running.

Will the battery last much less with an added mic for better surround sound?  using the  usbc port there is no control of putting on a powered mic, its all powered by the camera 3v, so really  you are not going to see a drop at all, lower the brightness down, turn the beep off and that will  take care of what we think is a loss.

would you recomend other camera for this?   what other camera re you  wanting. not going to say gopro is better Lol or a  $100.00 one, its how the user goes about it.
2023-4-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

A few days ago I saw that Telesin came out with this rechargeable selfie stick. This might be useful for long recordings. It extends 90cm and supports 5k/30fps recording for 5 hours!!! Now that’s a WOW factor! I am sure they didn’t mean “continuous” recording, but possibly multiple start/stop/record situations.

https://www.telesinstore.com/products/telesin-rechargeable-selfie-stick-for-action-cameras-phones
2023-4-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Osmo Action 3 camera is capable of recording HDR (High Dynamic Range) video at different frame rates depending on the resolution and mode selected. Here are the frame rate options for HDR video recording on the DJI Osmo Action 3:

4K HDR: 24, 25, 30fps
As you can see 60fps is not available, therefore this option is not supported. Also, please refer to my responses below:

What if I walk for over 2 hours? will the battery last?
When using the fully charged DJI Action 3, the operating time would be approximately 160 minutes.

Can i walk with a powerbank plugged in while recording?
The DJI Action 3 support charging via a power bank and recording in the charging state. However, it may heat up during charging, and thus stop filming when shooting videos with a high frame rate. The charging process may also stop if the camera is noticeably overheating. It is recommended to charge the camera in a 5 to 40 degrees Celcius environment.  In addition, using the camera during charging will affect the battery life. It is recommended to power off the camera for charging, and to use it after it is fully charged.
Will it last in high summer temperatures?
DJI Action 3 Operating Temperature is -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
Will the battery last much less with an added mic for better surround sound?
We will coordinate this to our designated team for further clarification.
2023-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules