604 15 2023-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6224147 ft
Cyprus

Hello,
I am interested about information about how things stand when flying your sub-250gr camera drone in your neighborhood in the Europe area.
As I understand these C0 category drones are eligible to be flown around your yard and neighborhood considering the GDPR requirements are met.
What's your experience when a neighbour is annoyed by the mere presence of drone around the neighborhood airspace?
Could the simple presence of a drone in the air around  which is NOT above that person's property be considered a violation of their personal space?
Thanks
2023-4-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Ask yourself if you would like to see a drone equipped with a camera circling around your property... There is also the noise pollution to take into account.
2023-4-18
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-18 10:25
Ask yourself if you would like to see a drone equipped with a camera circling around your property... There is also the noise pollution to take into account.

Thank you for the reply.
Well yes these are parameters to consider but with mini 3 the noise levels are negligible at some distance and as for the flying camera concern it depends on how systematic the presence is and what understanding of the users' intentions you have. If they merely pass around my property then I wouldn't be concerned.
Don't you fly your drones in residential areas?
2023-4-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

fable Posted at 4-18 10:45
Thank you for the reply.
Well yes these are parameters to consider but with mini 3 the noise levels are negligible at some distance and as for the flying camera concern it depends on how systematic the presence is and what understanding of the users' intentions you have. If they merely pass around my property then I wouldn't be concerned.
Don't you fly your drones in residential areas?

I don't do it for a recreational reason out of respect for people and because there are more appropriate spaces to do it.  

And if I have to fly a drone in a residential area for professional purpose, I notify the neighbors. Its sometimes a long process but its respect for people.

Until 2015 we didn't hear about drones because most of the activity took place in model aircraft clubs.  Then the flight stabilizers and the FPV retransmission system arrived, it became popular and everyone started doing anything.
2023-4-18
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

I understand your point.
But I believe with the mini 3 the nuance really is negligible if you fly at a distance with hovering around anybody's home.
But I would be interested in other pilots' point of view also.
2023-4-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

fable Posted at 4-18 22:57
I understand your point.
But I believe with the mini 3 the nuance really is negligible if you fly at a distance with hovering around anybody's home.
But I would be interested in other pilots' point of view also.

Up to you, but if you always fly in the same place, it's worth warning your neighbors at least once.

Afterwards, if you don't warn people, there can be several types of reaction. There is the one who will come to see you out of curiosity, the one who will surreptitiously call the police, the one who will come to break your knees...

Our friends across the Atlantic frequently report drone hunting with firearms.
2023-4-18
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-18 23:06
Up to you, but if you always fly in the same place, it's worth warning your neighbors at least once.

Afterwards, if you don't warn people, there can be several types of reaction. There is the one who will come to see you out of curiosity, the one who will surreptitiously call the police, the one who will come to break your knees...

Haha
Thanks. We are not that savage where I live.
Hopefully!!
2023-4-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

fable Posted at 4-18 23:21
Haha
Thanks. We are not that savage where I live.
Hopefully!!

We are not savages here either, but in the current context where we hear nonsense on the radio every day recounting successes on the battlefields with consumer drones equipped with hand grenades, among other crazy facts including drones, I can understand that the sight of a drone near one's property can be anxiety-provoking.

It has already happened to me several times to have someone come to me very angry. In this case I explain what I am doing and it ends well.
What bothers people the most here are the illegal constructions. I noticed that when I start by saying that I don't work for the cadastre, the situation improves.
2023-4-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I fly from my garden,     I try to not to do it too often or if there are people out enjoying their garden,  I dont hover over other property and I make sure to be at a good altitude so the noise is minimised.  
2023-4-18
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-18 23:33
We are not savages here either, but in the current context where we hear nonsense on the radio every day recounting successes on the battlefields with consumer drones equipped with hand grenades, among other crazy facts including drones, I can understand that the sight of a drone near one's property can be anxiety-provoking.

It has already happened to me several times to have someone come to me very angry. In this case I explain what I am doing and it ends well.

It happens also there are paranoid people around.
E.g. I do some roof surveillance on my house sometimes because I have some issues with pigeons. A neighbour nearby thinks that I am spying on him even though I explained my intentions.
You see in this case you come to think, why should I stop what I am eligible doing just to satisfy one pararoid person's perceptions?
2023-4-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

fable Posted at 4-18 23:54
It happens also there are paranoid people around.
E.g. I do some roof surveillance on my house sometimes because I have some issues with pigeons. A neighbour nearby thinks that I am spying on him even though I explained my intentions.
You see in this case you come to think, why should I stop what I am eligible doing just to satisfy one pararoid person's perceptions?

I understand you, but I also understand the neighbor. It's 50/50!
By warning him in advance, and maybe even offering him an aerial photo of his house for free, you prepare the case and it will go better.

When I settled in my village, the first thing I did was introduce myself to the neighbors, taking care to mention what my job is and that with their agreement I could be led to fly drones there. Since the agreement is cordial and there is no problem.

It "costs" me a photo of a vegetable garden per year, which I send by email. It's cool!
2023-4-19
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

Thanx.
But if a send him a photo of his garden I believe it'll might aggravate him.
I was thinking of notify them and  offer to share any information about my flights if asked.
2023-4-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

fable Posted at 4-19 00:13
Thanx.
But if a send him a photo of his garden I believe it'll might aggravate him.
I was thinking of notify them and  offer to share any information about my flights if asked.

"I was thinking of notify them and  offer to share any information about my flights if asked."

I think this is the right way to go.

Before the European law in my country the national law imposed to have the written authorization of the owners.
Now we are given to understand that C0 and C1 = I do what I want.
2023-4-19
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Cyprus

DAFlys Posted at 4-18 23:49
I fly from my garden,     I try to not to do it too often or if there are people out enjoying their garden,  I dont hover over other property and I make sure to be at a good altitude so the noise is minimised.

Those are my intentions as well.
It sounds reasonable
2023-4-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fable Posted at 4-19 05:35
Those are my intentions as well.
It sounds reasonable

Sometimes I will use sports mode to get down faster or get away faster, the downside to that is the extra noise.   
2023-4-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They can get very annoyed for sure.
I always make sure I'm very visible and only fly close to myself, so they can ask me questions.
2023-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules