4552 5 2023-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SmartCarrot9939
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233904 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone,

I have owned a DJI Mavic Mini for over 2 years and have realised that the range is not at all what I expected. It loses connection very quickly after around 2 km and I am doing everything that I need to do to extend it's range, such as pointing the antennas directly at it. Should I buy parabolic deflecters for it or is this a known issue on the mavic mini. I also would like to know what ranges everyone else is getting on their drones, maybe it is a problem with interference for where I live?

2023-4-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you are using a CE spec drone then 2 km is the stated maximum control range. In a test over open sea mine lost connection somewhere between 2000m and 2100m. I have seen one reach farther, again over open sea, and still have connection.
I have to ask why are you flying this to these distances? It's well beyond the range of your eyesight and having the drone in sight may be a requirement of the rules in your area. The achievable range depend on the area you are flying in. Elsewhere, in less favourable conditions, I have lost connection at 200m.
2023-4-18
Use props
SmartCarrot9939
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233904 ft
United Arab Emirates

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-18 02:31
If you are using a CE spec drone then 2 km is the stated maximum control range. In a test over open sea mine lost connection somewhere between 2000m and 2100m. I have seen one reach farther, again over open sea, and still have connection.
I have to ask why are you flying this to these distances? It's well beyond the range of your eyesight and having the drone in sight may be a requirement of the rules in your area. The achievable range depend on the area you are flying in. Elsewhere, in less favourable conditions, I have lost connection at 200m.

I use this drone in the UK and it is well in vlos and just wanted to check if it could go further as I would like to up to 500 metres for good shots and even closer at 450 metres it gave a warning for signal.
2023-4-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SmartCarrot9939 Posted at 4-18 02:36
I use this drone in the UK and it is well in vlos and just wanted to check if it could go further as I would like to up to 500 metres for good shots and even closer at 450 metres it gave a warning for signal.

It's well within VLOS at 2km???? Unless you are Clark Kent, pull the other one.
As I said, the possible range varies greatly. If your problem is you can't reach 450m or 500m why cite 2km?
Since you say "I would like to up to 500 metres"  I am just checking, are you referring to horizontal distances? For me such horizontal distances are normally achievable.
If, by any chance, your 450m and 500m are referring to heights, I have to ask are you aware of the legal height/ distance-from-the-closest-ground limits in the UK?
2023-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have owned a DJI Mavic Mini for over 2 years and have realised that the range is not at all what I expected.
The problem is that your expectation was unrealistic.
The fine print in DJI's specs gives more information that you probably were aware of.

**EDIT**
I looked up the specs for a different model - the Mini 2.
It has a better transmission system and greater range, but the explanatory notes DJI gives are still valid and explain the difference between maximum possible range and ractual eal world ranges.

Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference) [3]
10 km (FCC)
6 km (CE)

Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience, not aircraft battery capability. It only refers to the maximum, one-way flight distance. Data was measured in an open environment without interference. Please pay attention to the return prompt on the DJI Fly app during actual flight. Refer to the following applicable standard in different countries and regions:
FCC: United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, and other regions;
CE: UK, Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Macau, New Zealand, UAE, and other regions;  

Signal Transmission Ranges (FCC)
    Strong Interference (urban landscape, limited line of sight, many competing signals): Approx. 3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape, open line of sight, some competing signals): Approx. 6 km
    Low Interference (open landscape abundant line of sight, few competing signals): Approx. 10 km
2023-4-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 4-18 03:57
Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference) [3]. 10 km (FCC).  6 km (CE)  .........
Signal Transmission Ranges (FCC)
    Strong Interference (urban landscape, limited line of sight, many competing signals): Approx. 3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape, open line of sight, some competing signals): Approx. 6 km
    Low Interference (open landscape abundant line of sight, few competing signals): Approx. 10 km

Where are you getting those details from?

In the v1.2 manual 2021 05 it states on pages 42 & 43

"Remote Controller
Operating Frequency
Model MR1SS5: 5.725 - 5.850 GHz
Model MR1SD25: 2.400 - 2.4835 GHz, 5.725 - 5.850 GHz"
P42
"© 2021 DJI All Rights Reserved.
Mavic Mini User Manual

Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
Model MR1SS5: 5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
ModelMR1SD25: 2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE) 5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)"

Similarily from https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-mini/specs
Remote Controller & Video Transmission
Operating FrequencyModel MR1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MR1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz
Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)Model MR1SS5
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
Model MR1SD25
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

2023-4-18
Use props