Mavic 2 Pro lost during Drone Deploy mission - Help!
1272 18 2023-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cschreiner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181027 ft
United States

I flew my Mavic 2 over our 30 acre tree farm yesterday in the morning without incident.  The lighting was better in the afternoon so I flew the same mission again.  It did not return to home after the first battery.  I am trying to locate the Flight Logs but no flights within the last 9 months or so are there.  My best guess is that something went wrong on RTH with the first battery.  I have searched from the Start towards home and extensively around 906 ft from home.  I have no idea why it would have been at a height of 145.  The mission was run at 320 ft and RTH is set to 300ft.  Any help would be appreciated.   I have searched extensively on how to get the flight logs but cannot find anything from yesterdays flight.

Please help!
Continue Flight.jpg
Trasnmitter.jpg
DD Map.jpg
2023-4-18
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

If someone can direct me on how to get my recent flight logs I would really appreciate it!  I've tried Flight Reader and Phantom help but they both show flights from over 9 months ago.  I did sync as well so I'm perplexed as to why there are no flight logs.
2023-4-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened on the unit. Can you please confirm if you are using a standard remote controller with an Android mobile device on it? If yes, you may try to access this path DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/ to possibly export the flight records. Just a friendly reminder, since the unit crashed when in use with a 3rd party app, I'm afraid that we can no longer apply for a warranty repair (if the aircraft is still under warranty). Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-18
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-18 19:34
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened on the unit. Can you please confirm if you are using a standard remote controller with an Android mobile device on it? If yes, you may try to access this path DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/ to possibly export the flight records. Just a friendly reminder, since the unit crashed when in use with a 3rd party app, I'm afraid that we can no longer apply for a warranty repair (if the aircraft is still under warranty). Thank you for your understanding and support.

I was using a standard remote and an Iphone.  I was able to find the flight records in DJI Go4 but there are no current flights that I could find.  I could upload the whole file to dropbox and send a link if that helps.  I know about the thrid party app.   I just want to find it.   If I can get it's last location I'm pretty sure I could find it.
2023-4-18
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

Here is a dropbox link to all the files

Dropbox link to DJI Go 4 files
2023-4-18
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lj37j1r508d68y1/AABKoHvcOPNyDPhO03PW1d7Aa?dl=0
2023-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-18 19:34
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened on the unit. Can you please confirm if you are using a standard remote controller with an Android mobile device on it? If yes, you may try to access this path DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/ to possibly export the flight records. Just a friendly reminder, since the unit crashed when in use with a 3rd party app, I'm afraid that we can no longer apply for a warranty repair (if the aircraft is still under warranty). Thank you for your understanding and support.

If yes, you may try to access this path DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/ to possibly export the flight records.
As he said in the initial post, he was flying a DroneDeploy mapping mission.
He wouldn't have been using DJI Go4 and there won't be anything relevant in the DJI Go 4 data.
2023-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cschreiner Posted at 4-18 19:48
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lj37j1r508d68y1/AABKoHvcOPNyDPhO03PW1d7Aa?dl=0

As explained above, there's not going to be anything  from this flight in your DJI Go4 app.
You can delete that upload to Dropbox as there is nothing there that will be helpful.

But if you go into the phone or tablet you used for the flight you should find a directory called DroneDeployLogs.
Upload the most recent log file from that directory to Dropbox and post a link, that will be useful to look into your incident.
2023-4-18
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Really clear thinking on your part Labroides.
2023-4-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

cschreiner Posted at 4-18 19:39
I was using a standard remote and an Iphone.  I was able to find the flight records in DJI Go4 but there are no current flights that I could find.  I could upload the whole file to dropbox and send a link if that helps.  I know about the thrid party app.   I just want to find it.   If I can get it's last location I'm pretty sure I could find it.

Thank you for the clarification. My apologies that we cannot provide any details about the 3rd party applications. Hope our fellow DJI members could provide you with some suggestions. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 4-18 21:53
If yes, you may try to access this path DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/ to possibly export the flight records.
As he said in the initial post, he was flying a DroneDeploy mapping mission.
He wouldn't have been using DJI Go4 and there won't be anything relevant in the DJI Go 4 data.

Thank you for the clarification, Labroides. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-4-19
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

Thank you Labroides!  I believe I found them.  Let me know if you need any other files from the folder.  I really appreciate your help.  
Carl

last flight from DD
2023-4-19
Use props
cschreiner
lvl.1
United States

last DD flight
2023-4-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cschreiner Posted at 4-19 09:20
Thank you Labroides!  I believe I found them.  Let me know if you need any other files from the folder.  I really appreciate your help.  
Carl

Here's what that flight data looks like:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9U40U96FSRRJTZQ5EOEX/

Your flight ended while the drone was still flying the mission and never entered RTH.
At 7:58.4 with the drone about 75 feet short of the end of a north-flying leg, the drone started acting up.
It suddenly tilted back and braked, then attempted to go forward, braked again several times as the  track wandered a little.
This continued at near-zero speed until 8:41 when speed picked up briefly.
This is typical obstacle avoidance behaviour.
At 8:42.8 the drone again tilted back sharply and braked and resumed the very slow wandering flight until 9:47 when it stopped with the VPS data shows something under the drone at zero height.
The data continues for two seconds with the drone losing 4 ft of height while the heading swung around but the drone going nowhere.

All this indicates that the drone ended up stuck in treetops and signal was probably lost due to the signal being blocked by tree canopy.
Were the trees there around 115 feet high?
The flight height was not enough to clear the trees on that part of the property where ground level rose well above the launch point.
It looks like 400 ft higher than launch point would have been a lot safer (and given better imagery of tree tops for mapping).

The last location data for the drone was 45.52636  -122.36621 with the drone 196 ft higher than the launch point which puts it approx 115 ft above the ground there.
It may still be caught up in tree branches, or could have fallen part- or all the way to the ground.
Sptiing it in that tree cover is probably going to be difficult.

The screenshot shows the area where the flight ended.

Tr-1.jpg
2023-4-19
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Excellent report Labroides..

I just had a quick look at the area and some of the trees are really tall. But perhaps the drone did disturb an eagle, or some other large bird that maybe was trying to protect their nest...

I think on mission like this one, having the drone setup in bright orange or yellow (safety vests colours) would be an advantage...

2023-4-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 4-19 16:11
Excellent report Labroides..

I just had a quick look at the area and some of the trees are really tall. But perhaps the drone did disturb an eagle, or some other large bird that maybe was trying to protect their nest...

There's nothing in the data to suggest anything like that.
The drone was wandering with obstacle avoidance for quite a distance and VPS data clearly shows the tree canopy getting closer to the drone until there was no distance between the drone and the trees.
2023-4-19
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-19 16:36
There's nothing in the data to suggest anything like that.
The drone was wandering with obstacle avoidance for quite a distance and VPS data clearly shows the tree canopy getting closer to the drone until there was no distance between the drone and the trees.

You are right...

I just had another look in the area and it seems that the land it is also on a bit of a slope uphill (at least by looking from the road with google map)
2023-4-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 4-19 16:44
You are right...

I just had another look in the area and it seems that the land it is also on a bit of a slope uphill (at least by looking from the road with google map)

It's 85 ft higher than the homepoint and gets higher still further north and east.
2023-4-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

A automated crash.  That sucks!  Good luck retrieving it, maybe you will have a lucky day!
2023-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules