Question on drone broadcast module for exit drones
1237 29 2023-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikereynolds55
New

United States

On Sept 26 2023 when the Drone Remote ID broadcast module requirements kick in. I have 2-questions. 1. Will DJI send out the attachment for our drones to be updated automatically or will we have to pay for this update. After attaching the module to our existing drones will we still be subject to the 249g rule or will we then be illegal.
2023-4-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, mikereynolds55. Thank you for reaching out. May we ask what kind of drone you have so we can check it for you? We will wait for your reply. Thank you.
2023-4-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some of the drones have had a software update to support Remote ID,   some older models will need a 3rd party module that will not be free from DJI.  
2023-4-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-19 23:03
Some of the drones have had a software update to support Remote ID,   some older models will need a 3rd party module that will not be free from DJI.

As of today, you can't find a remote ID module for under $299 and it weighs 13 g.  They say several companies are working on cheaper and lighter modules but so far they haven't obtained FCC certification.  
2023-4-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-20 02:07
As of today, you can't find a remote ID module for under $299 and it weighs 13 g.  They say several companies are working on cheaper and lighter modules but so fare they haven't obtained FCC certification.

There's no reason for them to be really expensive except or certification.  Theres already a project to broadcast fake data for very cheap.

https://github.com/DJISDKUser/ESP8266_DJI_DroneID_Throwie
2023-4-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-20 21:48
There's no reason for them to be really expensive except or certification.  Theres already a project to broadcast fake data for very cheap.

https://github.com/DJISDKUser/ESP8266_DJI_DroneID_Throwie

Now that is an interesting project.  
2023-4-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 03:08
Now that is an interesting project.

I have some esp modules so I was tempted to make one,  but as we dont use the same remote id and you it seemed a bit pointless.
2023-4-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-22 00:16
I have some esp modules so I was tempted to make one,  but as we dont use the same remote id and you it seemed a bit pointless.

Might be a good idea for a "side job".  
2023-4-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-22 10:13
Might be a good idea for a "side job".

I can imagine how that could be abused.  
2023-4-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-22 23:22
I can imagine how that could be abused.

Yeah, that has misuse written all over it.  I will need to add a 3rd party RID module to my Air 2 as it appears DJI will NOT be making it RID compliant via a software update.  Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro are both good to go.
2023-4-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-23 06:02
Yeah, that has misuse written all over it.  I will need to add a 3rd party RID module to my Air 2 as it appears DJI will NOT be making it RID compliant via a software update.  Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro are both good to go.

Perhaps nows the time to sell the original Air then.
2023-4-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-23 22:56
Perhaps nows the time to sell the original Air then.

Unfortunately, the market is flooded with Air 2 drones and probably because come September they are no longer flyable without a 3rd party RID add on.  You can pick up a used Air 2 Fly More Combo for only $450.  If the price of the add-ons drop it would be worth keeping.
2023-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-24 03:26
Unfortunately, the market is flooded with Air 2 drones and probably because come September they are no longer flyable without a 3rd party RID add on.  You can pick up a used Air 2 Fly More Combo for only $450.  If the price of the add-ons drop it would be worth keeping.

I just looked here and the second hand prices are also very cheap,  I hadnt realised that.  
2023-4-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 04:41
I just looked here and the second hand prices are also very cheap,  I hadnt realised that.

I think the combo of it not being RID capable and possibly the Air 3 coming out near timer has driven the prices way down for the Air 2.  Although Air 2S prices are holding steady at the moment.  
2023-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-24 09:47
I think the combo of it not being RID capable and possibly the Air 3 coming out near timer has driven the prices way down for the Air 2.  Although Air 2S prices are holding steady at the moment.

I think the Air2S having the better camera is probably partly responsible for that.
2023-4-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 22:57
I think the Air2S having the better camera is probably partly responsible for that.

Yes, the camera is a lot better on the Air 2S and it has several more functions than the Air 2.  After I put MAS props on the Air 2S it got a bit quieter than in the past.  Still not as quiet as the Mini 3 Pro.  
2023-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-25 03:15
Yes, the camera is a lot better on the Air 2S and it has several more functions than the Air 2.  After I put MAS props on the Air 2S it got a bit quieter than in the past.  Still not as quiet as the Mini 3 Pro.

The mini 3 is really stealthy it seems,   a few times Ive flown near things that I thought would create a response and no one noticed it.  
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-26 00:07
The mini 3 is really stealthy it seems,   a few times Ive flown near things that I thought would create a response and no one noticed it.

When you compare the Mini 3 Pro against the original Mini there is a huge difference in sounds emitted.
2023-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 03:04
When you compare the Mini 3 Pro against the original Mini there is a huge difference in sounds emitted.

Even the 2 vs 3 is a huge difference.    Mini 3 really easily goes unnoticed which is nice.     Im waiting to hear a sound test from the new Mavic 3 pro.  Apparantly the original mavic 3 is being discontinued.   
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-26 23:35
Even the 2 vs 3 is a huge difference.    Mini 3 really easily goes unnoticed which is nice.     Im waiting to hear a sound test from the new Mavic 3 pro.  Apparantly the original mavic 3 is being discontinued.

Rumor has it that the Mavic 3 underwhelmed in anticipated sales figures.  Probably why they came out with a cheaper version (Classic) to try and boost sales and now the Pro to reach out to high-end users.  No doubt the original Mavic 3 is done.  I see where lots of pilots want the option to buy Mavic 3 Pro drone only as they probably already have enough RCs laying around.
2023-4-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-27 02:54
Rumor has it that the Mavic 3 underwhelmed in anticipated sales figures.  Probably why they came out with a cheaper version (Classic) to try and boost sales and now the Pro to reach out to high-end users.  No doubt the original Mavic 3 is done.  I see where lots of pilots want the option to buy Mavic 3 Pro drone only as they probably already have enough RCs laying around.

I think we'll see a drone only version after some weeks.
2023-4-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-27 23:14
I think we'll see a drone only version after some weeks.

I'm thinking it has to do something to do with profits on the kits offered.  

I don't plan on buying one but will make many pilots happy that are looking to upgrade and have plenty of RCs already.  

2023-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-28 03:18
I'm thinking it has to do something to do with profits on the kits offered.  

I don't plan on buying one but will make many pilots happy that are looking to upgrade and have plenty of RCs already.

I thought you might have been tempted to get one.  I would have been tempted if the rules here weren't so strict.
2023-4-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 04:21
I thought you might have been tempted to get one.  I would have been tempted if the rules here weren't so strict.

I'm always tempted but deep in the back of my head is the thought of what happens when/if DJI gets totally banned.  So I'm not going to make a large investment with the future so cloudy for that company.  I'm thinking it might be time to buy that underwater drone I've been eyeballing.  Unfortunately, the best underwater drone (Qysea FiFish V6) is also made in China but at least there has been zero talk of banning that company.  
2023-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-28 12:55
I'm always tempted but deep in the back of my head is the thought of what happens when/if DJI gets totally banned.  So I'm not going to make a large investment with the future so cloudy for that company.  I'm thinking it might be time to buy that underwater drone I've been eyeballing.  Unfortunately, the best underwater drone (Qysea FiFish V6) is also made in China but at least there has been zero talk of banning that company.

Sure they would have a hard time banning the drones already in peoples hands.  
2023-4-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-29 00:43
Sure they would have a hard time banning the drones already in peoples hands.

That is what I was thinking.  However, if DJI got banned and was super mad over it they could just issue a firmware update to just drones registered in the US to make them no longer operable.  Probably an overreach but this DJI banning keeps brewing and doesn't seem like it will ever go away.  
2023-4-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-29 02:07
That is what I was thinking.  However, if DJI got banned and was super mad over it they could just issue a firmware update to just drones registered in the US to make them no longer operable.  Probably an overreach but this DJI banning keeps brewing and doesn't seem like it will ever go away.

But that would only be a problem if you were connecting them to the Internet to get that update.
2023-4-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-29 22:31
But that would only be a problem if you were connecting them to the Internet to get that update.

You have a good point there, no internet connection, no receiving disabling FW.
2023-4-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-30 03:09
You have a good point there, no internet connection, no receiving disabling FW.

Exactly,   another reason why the whole DJI ban is daft,   just ban them connecting them to the Internet.
2023-5-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 00:00
Exactly,   another reason why the whole DJI ban is daft,   just ban them connecting them to the Internet.

That's is probably too easy of a solution and doesn't drive media coverage.  For some reason the politicians at the federal level love to keep the heat on DJI.  I do understand if it is(or was) a bonafide security threat but to date nobody has come up with indisputable proof.  Lots of rumors.
2023-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules