Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi all
How do I get information about a video AFTER its been shot? Info like if it was shot in HDR, the width of the lens, the type of stablisation, exposure comp etc?
My GoPro 11 can give me detailed info on every video thats on the card but I can't work out if this is even possible on the Action 3?

2023-4-20
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

That would be nice, wouldn't it! I mean getting all this info AFTER you moved the footage from the card to the computer. Like in a metadata format of some sort.

If you view the Album in-camera (aka your media that is on the camera), it gives you some info, like if you shoot a Hyperlapse it will say x2 or x5, or in case of a Timelapse it will show the interval, like 1s, 2s, etc, and it gives you a little icon that it's a Hyperlapse or a Timelapse, or in case a video footage it shows a camera icon. If you shoot HDR, it will say HDR over the footage, and whether it's 1080p or 4k, etc.

But unfortunately there's no more info regarding stabilization or whether it was wide angle, ultra wide. I usually make a note of these on my phone, write them down if it's "critical" and tag them as such in the Finder (Mac). Yes, I know it's not ideal and would be nice to have some metadata that display all these information.

If you shoot images, you can see the exposure info in the EXIF data. I am not sure if there's such a thing for videos since exposure is constantly changing based on the environment.

2023-4-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will forward this suggestion of yours to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!
2023-4-20
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-20 18:31
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will forward this suggestion of yours to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!

If DJI want's the cam to be more than a hobbyists toy, this is kind of essential. I write it down sometimes, but this is pita...
Another inquiry that isn't just nice to have but fundamental for a cam in this price point and market orientation.
So I would really appreciate a bit of firmware tuning. The cam does deserve that...
And while you are at it, what was with picture control (sharpness and contrast)? Functional audio control?DJI - I would be pleased if you did your homework.
2023-4-20
Use props
Hankster65
lvl.2
United States

Before buying the Action 3 I watched a ton of YouTube videos, many of which compared it to the GoPro 11.  At some point I mixed the two and remembered the OA 3 as being the one that provided all this good data.  After getting the OA 3 last week I was totally bummed that it does not provide the info.  Include me in as one who would VERY much like to have this data!
2023-4-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DJ DJ Posted at 4-20 20:22
If DJI want's the cam to be more than a hobbyists toy, this is kind of essential. I write it down sometimes, but this is pita...
Another inquiry that isn't just nice to have but fundamental for a cam in this price point and market orientation.
So I would really appreciate a bit of firmware tuning. The cam does deserve that...

Hi, DJ. Thank you for reaching out. We totally understand your request. Regarding the picture control (sharpness and contrast) and Function audio control, can you please send us a screenshot or picture showing these options so we can check it further? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-4-21
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

You might try this free application that integrates with Windows File Explorer.  I find it helpful even though it may not provide everything you are looking for. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
2023-4-21
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-21 03:59
Hi, DJ. Thank you for reaching out. We totally understand your request. Regarding the picture control (sharpness and contrast) and Function audio control, can you please send us a screenshot or picture showing these options so we can check it further? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Would you please enlighten me, how I am supposed to make a screenshot of something that is NOT there?

Not that I am suprised about the same nonsense as everyday. Don't take it too personal, but sometimes it helps to think _before_ writing.

Another wish for the future - fix the internal training procedure for the DJI support team to ask useful questions... Or at least show them the camera at least once so they know a little more...

Sorry for my sarcasm, but the way DJI deals with requests in their own forum is kind of special.
-edit-
In case I missunderstood you (language barrier may be a problem for all of us non native speakers) - that's how it could be implemented:

Mock up

Mock up

But the menu framework has enough possibilities for that already. Just add another entry for sharpness and contrast to the option - tutto bene.
2023-4-21
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

skysailor64 Posted at 4-21 05:57
You might try this free application that integrates with Windows File Explorer.  I find it helpful even though it may not provide everything you are looking for. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Thanks, skysailor64. This is a very useful software for codec information (fun fact, I do the packaging of MediaInfo for PortableApps.com).
But it shows the absense of metadata in the osmo action 3 files even more. I have no specific suggestion, how DJI could easily implement that.
One very simple way would be a "tagged" filename with some specs in it, instead of the nice to have but kind of useless 3 digit appendix. MP4 supports some tags but that is not standarized enough. MVK could help here, but Apple blocks that out.
But I am no software engineer, that would be DJIs job...
2023-4-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

They can put in metadata in files or .xmp file that I think gopro also does
2023-4-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DJ DJ Posted at 4-21 06:22
Would you please enlighten me, how I am supposed to make a screenshot of something that is NOT there?

Not that I am suprised about the same nonsense as everyday. Don't take it too personal, but sometimes it helps to think _before_ writing.

Hi DJ. We appreciate your kind response. As you mentioned in your response above, you are asking what are picture control (sharpness and contrast) and Function audio control, that is the reason why I asked you for a screenshot or image of where you get this information to provide you an accurate resolution. Anyways, as you already clarify this and as I understand that this is a feature request, no worries, we will coordinate this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support and we always appreciate your input. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-4-24
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-24 02:25
Hi DJ. We appreciate your kind response. As you mentioned in your response above, you are asking what are picture control (sharpness and contrast) and Function audio control, that is the reason why I asked you for a screenshot or image of where you get this information to provide you an accurate resolution. Anyways, as you already clarify this and as I understand that this is a feature request, no worries, we will coordinate this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support and we always appreciate your input. Have a nice day ahead.

Thank you for your information. My apologies, I really misunderstood you (language barrier as I assumed).
So - to specify the request that many others have made before:
We really need a way to adjust the in-camera sharpening. It is way too high at the moment for many use cases and results in flickering when there are very fine structural elements in the picture (twigs, grills or lattice etc.). Same with contrast, that is too high sometimes, especially in backlight sitiations. Switch to d-cinelike and back might do the trick but affects too many other image parameters, too. And results in a complete differnt look that makes color grading in post necessary

Same deal with functional audio control: The information is in the other thread about distorted audio with external mics. The way, gain control is implemented now, ist simply buggy. It does not attenuate the analogue microphone signal itself but just lowers the digitized signal. If that is distorted already, negative gain does not help in any way. It just produces a distorted signal with lower amplitude...
So we need a way to control the external audio dac (or in that case the adc to be more specific - its the same chip most of the time...)

But, if you don't understand the requests itself, it might help, to show it some of your engineers, or escalate it to your supervisor. They should understand at a glance, what the request might comprise.
2023-4-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DJ DJ Posted at 4-24 10:49
Thank you for your information. My apologies, I really misunderstood you (language barrier as I assumed).
So - to specify the request that many others have made before:
We really need a way to adjust the in-camera sharpening. It is way too high at the moment for many use cases and results in flickering when there are very fine structural elements in the picture (twigs, grills or lattice etc.). Same with contrast, that is too high sometimes, especially in backlight sitiations. Switch to d-cinelike and back might do the trick but affects too many other image parameters, too. And results in a complete differnt look that makes color grading in post necessary

We will surely take note of this, DJ. Thank you for your continued support.
2023-4-26
Use props
CTMeyer
lvl.1

United States

Metadata about the camera / shooting settings available with the video file is a must have if DJI wants creators to be able to advance the quality of the footage they take with DJI products.
2-26 16:09
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CTMeyer Posted at 2-26 16:09
Metadata about the camera / shooting settings available with the video file is a must have if DJI wants creators to be able to advance the quality of the footage they take with DJI products.

We appreciate your feedback. We are continuously submitting your requests to the relevant team for evaluation. Thank you for your valued support.
2-27 00:13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I was watching a video about the GoPro 12 the other day, and they showed that apparently the camera can show you even the min-max shutter, ISO, FOV, and a whole lot of other info about your footage. I chose to buy the Action 3 because it was cheaper, but it seems GoPro has features that makes you wonder why did DJI missed out on all these.
2-27 02:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules