Delivering wireless stereo from external mic to receiver?
988 6 2023-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Recently, I was recording a poetry night with the Pocket 2 and DJI Mic. I had a setup where I first used a Zoom H2n in a stereo surround mode as a microphone, connected that to one DJI Mic transmitter and then connected the receiver to Pocket 2 the DIA Handle 3,5mm connection. I did manage to get acceptable audio out of the setup using both a direct mic connection and the backup audio recording of the DJI Mic transmitter and the H2n, but I noticed that the stereo audio of the H2n was converted to mono audio on the transmitter. That wasn't a problem to me, but I got a question into my mind that I would like to have an answer for.

Let's assume I would like to deliver the stereo sound from the H2n to the DJI Mic receiver wirelessly. The H2n has an audio out connector that uses a 3,5mm TRS stereo cable to connect to other audio devices, and also works as a headphone connector. If I had a cable that would separate the left and right audio channel to their own plugs (the cable having a total of three plugs), connected a DJI Mic transmitter to each of the two, and set the receiver mode to Stereo, then would I be able to deliver the stereo audio of the H2n wirelessly to the receiver? Or would there be something that would prevent me from doing this?

Thanks in advance for all your replies and thoughts on the subject!

2023-4-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The DJI Mic transmitters have a TRS input as long as it's not over 24v so your cable idea would work assuming a nice quality cable.
2023-4-20
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-20 22:24
The DJI Mic transmitters have a TRS input as long as it's not over 24v so your cable idea would work assuming a nice quality cable.

I see. Just wondering where to find such a cable, or if I would need to make my own.
2023-4-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-21 05:29
I see. Just wondering where to find such a cable, or if I would need to make my own.

Im sure Ive seen them on Aliexpress.
2023-4-22
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-22 00:27
Im sure Ive seen them on Aliexpress.

Did some extended testing, and after receiving an appropriate adapter from my friend, I managed to pull it off

Could be done in a more simple way, but I was using what was available at the time, and it's sufficient for me, as it's the end result that matters.

I used a 3,5mm TRS to 2xRCA connector cable, connected a 2xRCA to 3,5mm plug adapter to each of the RCA (connecting only the other RCA to each adapter's left channel), then connected one for each DJI Mic transmitter.

Will see if/when I need this solution in practice, but good to know there is a chance to apply it if needed
2023-4-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-23 06:21
Did some extended testing, and after receiving an appropriate adapter from my friend, I managed to pull it off

Could be done in a more simple way, but I was using what was available at the time, and it's sufficient for me, as it's the end result that matters.

Excellent,    did you notice that the quality was reduced with all those extra connections.  
2023-4-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 4-23 23:12
Excellent,    did you notice that the quality was reduced with all those extra connections.

Haven't listened to it with more precision yet, but will do that in the near future. The cable wasn't that long and has seemed to work fine in the use I tend to most often use it, and the adapters were the only connection between the Zoom and the transmitter besides the cable, so I do believe the quality will remain sufficient. But will have to do a test record and listen to it at some point before taking it to the field.
2023-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules