Phantom 3 Professional firmware update keeps failing
10223 11 2015-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
russellhays
lvl.1

United States

I sat down tonight and fired up my Phantom 3 for the first time. When I turned on the DJI GO app I was immediately hit with a battery error message and a recommendation to upgrade the firmware. I followed all the steps for updating and everything appeared to be going well. I left it to update and came back a short time later to discover one long continous beep and a message of an unsuccessful update. I have tried several more times, all with the same results. Is there anything else I can do to fix the problem. This has been very disappointing as this is my first Phantom and I have had nothing but issues straight out of the box and all without even being able to fly it yet.
2015-8-23
Use props
janoduch
lvl.1

Slovakia

hello after the firmware update 1.3.20
Phantom trembles What is the problem ? the image stabilization is also evil trembles . Dron is not stable slowly rotated a few degrees being a venture into the sides or shakes a little .
( google translator )
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Instead of using your app for the update, it is better to go to the DJI download site....I do this for firmware updates:

1) Go to DJI download site and download latest firmware:  http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download
2) Take your micro-SD out of your copter and put it into your PC (or MAC) with the card reader
3) Unzip the files from step 1 and put them on the root of your micro-SD card
4) When your micro-SD card has the file, take it our of your PC/MAC reader and place it back into the phantom
5) Power up your phantom and let it sit for 30 minutes or so to update

NOTE:  You don't even need your Controller turned on for this process...in fact, I make sure mine is off and just let the Phantom do its update alone

In parallel with the firmware update, make sure you've downloaded the latest DJI GO app from that same website and update your tablet.

ALSO:  make sure you update your controller by putting a USB micro-SD reader into the USB port on your controller and turn on your controller and let it update itself, too  (your tablet will not be connected to your controller at this time)
2015-8-24
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

One correction over what spheasant1 typed.

Take your supplied micro SD card and insert into a card reader. REFORMAT the card, selecting FAT32. Once formatted, go to the DJI site and down the file onto your computer. After the download, expand the file and copy this file directly into the root directory of the micro SD card.

After you have done this, make sure that the battery for your Phantom is fully charged. Insert the battery into the Phantom gimbal micro SD card slot. Make sure that you have no props on the Phantom as you might be injured in the event of a motor start up.

Push battery power button, release, then press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds. The battery should register full charged and the Phantom should start flashing and beeping. If after 25 minutes or so the Phantom led lights turn green and the beep completes. Turn the power off and remove the micro SD card and reinstall the card into your card reader and open the files on the micro SD card looking for a text file. Open and read the text file. If all went well, the file will indicate SUCCESS or FAIL, ABORTED.

If you are still having problems, toss it in the trash and order a new one. just kidding on the trash. Call DJI, grab a frosty beverage and wait your turn in limbo AKA customer service queue.  
2015-8-24
Use props
bhupinder408
New

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-25 04:12
One correction over what spheasant1 typed.

Take your supplied micro SD card and insert into a card  ...

I have done EXACTLY what you have said multiple times and still cannot update...nothing works at all.
The phantom still flies perfectly though.
I still want to upgrade the firmware. DJI support is not really helping.
2015-8-24
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try updating the firmware like this:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-phantom-3-firmware-if-using-dji-go.50065

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-24
Use props
russellhays
lvl.1

United States

I'm sorry for not being more clear in my original explanation. I didn't realize it needed to be updated until I hooked it up to the RC controller the first time. I immediately unhooked it and tried updating the firmware through the memory card. After it failed the first time, I reformatted the card and tried again. I also tried doing it directly through the drone with the card inside the camera and using it as the card reader. After multiple attempts I gave up. I did notice that all four lights stayed red, which I later learned means critical error. Anyway, I boxed it back up and returned it to Amazon for a replacement, which arrived today. Hopefully this new one will work better.
Thanks for the help though!!
2015-8-25
Use props
russellhays
lvl.1

United States

Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep....... So far, so good!!
2015-8-25
Use props
russellhays
lvl.1

United States

Success!! On to the controller.
2015-8-25
Use props
russellhays
lvl.1

United States

So everything is now updated, including the extra battery. Unfortunately, it is now too dark outside to try flying today. Anyway, thanks again everyone for your help!!
2015-8-25
Use props
GregL
New
Flight distance : 276 ft
United States

I have the same problem and have for every update since since my P3P arrived in May. The RC updates perfectly first time every time. The copter generally takes about 20-30 attempts and sometimes more! Finally it updates for no apparent reason. I've tried everything....... followed everybody's procedures, formatting, purchased new card, fingers crossed, prayers, etc. It took 6 hours yesterday to load the new release. I cringe every time an update comes out. I can tell right away if it is going to fail. It will beep a few times, red/green light flashes, then solid red within one minute and solid beep. The txt file has never stated "successful". It will state "current version is equal or newer.....". DJI says that's good so I'm happy to get that message. At that point it has updated.
2015-8-30
Use props
davestahr
New

United States

I'd like to share my experience here in hopes it might help someone finding this thread.  I had the same problem as the OP but figured out it was being caused by my phone, not the Phantom.  During the firmware update, my phone was disconnecting from the Phantom WiFi and connecting to my home WiFi instead.  You see, my phone wanted internet, and it's of course smart, whereas I am not.  After a brief discussion with my phone, which involved turning on airplane mode, then removing ALL saved WiFi networks, I retried the firmware update, and it worked perfectly.  It took around 30 minutes.
2016-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules