1627 17 2023-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HD Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5159026 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have asked this question to the DJI Chat and to DJI Support, and the response to my questions has been less than any answer that made sense.  

My question was about preventative service maintenance to keep your drone fly and not have an unexpected failure due to something being worn out causing the drone to drop from the sky and hitting something or someone.

I compared the service to a 3000-mile auto checkup or and aircraft having an annual or 100 hour inspection.

So, with that being said, and trying to be more granular, Is there a recommended time, say a life expectancy on the brushless motors, in hours (motor failure), that would require the drones to be shipped out for an inspection or replacement of the motors and electronic tests so you don’t have an inflight failure that could cause damage to property or injury to people below.

I hope someone here can help with answering this question.

Thank you.

2023-4-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

DJI does not publish the average time between failures of equipment.

From experience, without crashing, following the recommendations given in the two threads below, the first thing that will happen at the end of their life are the batteries at around 300-400 cycles they are starting to have a lot of trouble. Beyond 500 I have never reached but I think it is illusory.

After aesthetic defects can occur. Especially the plastic which tends to age badly. Be careful that the crack is not on a structural element. Either you send in warranty, or you repair yourself.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
2023-4-20
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-20 21:09
DJI does not publish the average time between failures of equipment.

From experience, without crashing, following the recommendations given in the two threads below, the first thing that will happen at the end of their life are the batteries at around 300-400 cycles they are starting to have a lot of trouble. Beyond 500 I have never reached but I think it is illusory.

Thank  you  LV.

I received the same information from DJI when I made my first inquiries.
I have been trying to keep my drones safe and have have followed those care recommendations.

So "providing we don't beat the drones up and use them recklessly", we don't have a set of service guidelines for the life of the motors or electronics reliability after a certain number of hours of use.
2023-4-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

HD Pilot Posted at 4-20 21:26
Thank  you  LV.

I received the same information from DJI when I made my first inquiries.

I change the propellers and the propeller/motor interfaces once a year.  These are small plastic parts that undergo a lot of fatigue.  The rest is not too constrained.
2023-4-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I flew over 5000km on a Mini 3 Pro and the motors showed no signs of issue,   the only issue I had were the arms joints got wobbly.    Props on average lasted 1200km
2023-4-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have asked this question to the DJI Chat and to DJI Support, and the response to my questions has been less than any answer that made sense.
That's not surprising.

So, with that being said, and trying to be more granular, Is there a recommended time, say a life expectancy on the brushless motors, in hours (motor failure), that would require the drones to be shipped out for an inspection or replacement of the motors and electronic tests so you don’t have an inflight failure
There is no recommended time.
Your drone's motors will probably last 10s of thousands of hours - longer than the drone.

2023-4-20
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-20 22:36
I flew over 5000km on a Mini 3 Pro and the motors showed no signs of issue,   the only issue I had were the arms joints got wobbly.    Props on average lasted 1200km

Thank you the input. I dont know if distance would a good indicator (IMO) for determining time for service. Running time on the motors and the heating of the system boards has me more concerned to the potential of failure during flight. I wonder what the DJI repair stations are seeing when it comes to service?, damage from flights or breakdowns in components.  ie The drones die due to crashes before they have time to breakdown.
2023-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

This article has some pertinent information.  

https://www.droneblog.com/drone-life-expectancy/
2023-4-21
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 12:50

Thank you, Checking it out now!
2023-4-21
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 12:50

That is exactly what I was looking for, thou I was hoping DJI had input on what their products longevity would be.
2023-4-21
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That gives me a good rule of thumb on the DJI drones. Thou still a bit vague, it will give me an idea on when i should be sending the drones in for service.
Thank you
2023-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 4-21 12:58
Thank you, Checking it out now!

You're welcome and i hope it helps some.
2023-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 4-21 13:01
That is exactly what I was looking for, thou I was hoping DJI had input on what their products longevity would be.

I've seen the question asked many times over the years and none of the DJI reps ever gave a straight answer.  Guess there are too many variables involved for them to commit.  I always keep an eye on the props, prop screws, debris in the motors and battery condition and so far it has worked out great for me.
2023-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 4-21 13:09
That gives me a good rule of thumb on the DJI drones. Thou still a bit vague, it will give me an idea on when i should be sending the drones in for service.
Thank you

My pleasure.  Hope you have a great weekend.  Keep on flying
2023-4-21
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 13:16
I've seen the question asked many times over the years and none of the DJI reps ever gave a straight answer.  Guess there are too many variables involved for them to commit.  I always keep an eye on the props, prop screws, debris in the motors and battery condition and so far it has worked out great for me.

Totally understandable, but if the bench test of a constant running drone in controlled conditions would provide some idea of the longevity of parts, that would at lease provide a baseline that could use to plan a time line on when that drone would need to go in for service.

Again, thank you, that was a good read.
2023-4-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HD Pilot Posted at 4-21 12:31
Thank you the input. I dont know if distance would a good indicator (IMO) for determining time for service. Running time on the motors and the heating of the system boards has me more concerned to the potential of failure during flight. I wonder what the DJI repair stations are seeing when it comes to service?, damage from flights or breakdowns in components.  ie The drones die due to crashes before they have time to breakdown.

That was about 200hours of flight.  
2023-4-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HD Pilot Posted at 4-21 13:25
Totally understandable, but if the bench test of a constant running drone in controlled conditions would provide some idea of the longevity of parts, that would at lease provide a baseline that could use to plan a time line on when that drone would need to go in for service.

Again, thank you, that was a good read.

that would at lease provide a baseline that could use to plan a time line on when that drone would need to go in for service.
That's completely unnecessary.
These drones run for far longer than you imagine without ever needing to "go in for a service".
2023-4-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for any inconvenience. We will forward your feedback to the corresponding team. As for the maintenance schedule of the motor, we've confirmed with the corresponding team that if there is no error message on the app after powering on the drone, it's no need to send it back for replacement.
2023-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules