DJI RC, can the App crash without loss of drone control?
1060 10 2023-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just wondering if the app can crash without affecting the ability of the controller to control the drone?

Not that it should matter but the question is meant to apply to ANY drone that the DJI RC can control but, since we have to just a category of drone, I will stick the question here.

2023-4-22
Use props
Zhillz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2914944 ft
United States

I've never had the RC controler crash on me, but from my understanding the app is used to control the camera, access advanced settings, and view live video feed from the drone, while the controller is used to control the drone's flight.  If the DJI app crashes while you are flying the drone, it should not affect the ability of the controller to control the drone's flight. The DJI RC controller communicates directly with the drone through a wireless connection, and does not rely on the app to maintain control.
2023-4-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Since, to my mind, an App crash in the DJI RC is similar to an App or phone crash when using the likes of the RC231 controller, what you have said is my thinking too. I can fly a drone without a pone attached to the RC231........... BUT.....some posts suggest that some people think that an App crash in the DJI RC renders the controller usless too.
This is why I pose my question.
2023-4-22
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-22 11:41
Since, to my mind, an App crash in the DJI RC is similar to an App or phone crash when using the likes of the RC231 controller, what you have said is my thinking too. I can fly a drone without a pone attached to the RC231........... BUT.....some posts suggest that some people think that an App crash in the DJI RC renders the controller usless too.

I would like to think that in any of the controller, if the app only crashes, you should lose only what the app controls, while the hardware (joysticks, wheels and buttons) should be still sending a signal, but we are dealing with mud here because in the app there are settings that do control (fine tuning) the joystick and the buttons... Only DJI can answer this with as they know how their protocol does work...

Think of an aeroplane where you have autopilot, but you can also disengage it and go fully manual... We don't have that option on the radio...
2023-4-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-22 11:41

BUT.....some posts suggest that some people think that an App crash in the DJI RC renders the controller usless too.
Some people imagine all sorts of things, but that doesn't mean they actually know what they are talking about.
Losing the app doesn't mean losing control of the drone.
2023-4-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Funnily enough. I had this the other day,  the app crashed and when to a black screen but the remote still functioned,  and I  could hit RTH and whilst the app was restarting.   The way you can tell is the green light on the controller,  as long as thats green it's connected,.   You can even take off before the controller has finished booting up.
2023-4-22
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I had the app crash on me a couple months ago and I was able still able to fly the Drone.  I just pressed the pause button until the app came back up.  Everything worked perfectly.
2023-4-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Captain. Thanks for reaching out. As previously stated in the comments above and as confirmed by our engineers, if only the app crashed, and the drone and the RC remains connected, there will be no loss of control. It will only be affected when the signal between the RC and the drone has been disconnected. We hope this clarifies your concern. Have a nice day!
2023-4-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 4-23 20:28
Hi, Captain. Thanks for reaching out. As previously stated in the comments above and as confirmed by our engineers, if only the app crashed, and the drone and the RC remains connected, there will be no loss of control. It will only be affected when the signal between the RC and the drone has been disconnected. We hope this clarifies your concern. Have a nice day!

Thanks Tony, Shawgod, DAFlys and everyone else.
2023-4-23
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-23 21:35
Thanks Tony, Shawgod DAFlys and everyone else.

It is definitely good to know...
2023-4-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-23 21:35
Thanks Tony, Shawgod, DAFlys and everyone else.

You are always welcome, Sean. Feel free to reach us if you have any inquiries or concerns. Thank you for always choosing DJI!
2023-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules