How do I fly in authorization zone when it no longer asks me to auth
3627 20 2023-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

How do I fly in authorization zone when it no longer asks me to agree?

I used to take off and right away BAM - Authorization required - this gives the Air trafficc controller at the nearby Executive airport my cell - my drone serial - etc.

And I used to sign my life away and agree and was allowed to fly - 3 check boes - now of course I updated my fly safe data base and now it say authorization zone reached - exit imediatly.

Of course - since I do not have authorization - but it is not prompting my in DJI Fly like it used to. why does it not prompt when the zone is approached?

How can I pre-auth another way and then let DJI Fly know so it will let me go past that eastern boundry?

Later today I am goign to drive to a park in the middle of that zone and maybe it will ask me there before I take off. seems silly. I can ether fly there under the rules or I cant.

The rules have not changed, and for the record my max highet in that zone is like 100' - mostly less than 50' for filiimng over the lake. no chance of aircraft at that hight and even if it was I would yield in a second. I may also try my Avata and see what that says as I have both the avata and the Mini with me at the moment.

I will advise - either way they must have reduced slightly the size of the zone - so now when I take off from my home point it is fine - no auth reuired.

However my drone STOPS when I hit the endge of the zone going east and cnannt fly east any further. (Ugh) and it is not asking me to auth - so my flgiht plan at that point is mute.

2023-4-23
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What on earth am I reading, is it April Fool's Day?

You submit the flight plan via DJI FlySafe to ensure the drone is flying in airspace that is unlocked -  You have to provide PROOF that you are AUTHORISED to fly in that zone.

Extremely concerning that you assume that crossing an authorisation zone gives ATC your info. You need permisison to enter that zone- it's going to be controlled airspace, by entering it without permisison you are breaking the law.

It's times like this that I'm thankful these zones are here, it's stopping people like you from entering restricted airspace and causing a huge problem. What a way to ruin it for everyone else by flying a drone near an airport without clearance.

2023-4-23
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

DJI's zones are not connected to the FAA's at all!! Unless you are getting LAANC aurhorization in an Authorization zone, the ATC has zero info about you or your flight.
2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-23 11:50
What on earth am I reading, is it April Fool's Day?

You submit the flight plan via DJI FlySafe to ensure the drone is flying in airspace that is unlocked -  You have to provide PROOF that you are AUTHORISED to fly in that zone.

I give my info to ATC when I accept the authorization in the Fly App - and then by checking the 3 boxes if you read it it is pretty clear.

THis issue is the software is no longer asking me as I am on the fringe of the boundry
2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

Dude - seriously - check your tone - I am one of the safest pilots you will ever see in practice - I am a Safety Officer at my R/C airfield which is one of the largest fields in the country, with decades of R/C experience - If I ever see you there I will inspect  your stuff double time - iand f you don't have anything constructive to say - don't post man,  Seriously

I fly in this zone LEAGALLY per the rules with prior auth so again if you dont have anything constructive to contribute please dont post
2023-4-23
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nitro-Tom Posted at 4-23 12:01
I give my info to ATC when I accept the authorization in the Fly App - and then by checking the 3 boxes if you read it it is pretty clear.

THis issue is the software is no longer asking me as I am on the fringe of the boundry

No, ATC does not receive your authorisation. Wherever you've got this information, it is completely wrong.

It's not up to you to say 'hey I'm flying in your zone, here's my info'. Controlled airspace means ATC is in control, not you.

The only time you're going to flash up on ATC is if they have counter-UAS equipment and trust me, they're not going to be dealing with this in a friendly way.

You need to stop flying immediately and read up on the laws/rules of drone flying. The USA flyers here will surely be able to school you on the absolute basics, which you seem to be lacking.
2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-23 11:50
DJI's zones are not connected to the FAA's at all!! Unless you are getting LAANC aurhorization in an Authorization zone, the ATC has zero info about you or your flight.

I believe it is using LAANC - I am sure it is - as the first time I had to sign up and give all kinds of info.....I have avoided my part 107 like the plague - unless I am getting to fly an aircraft above 55 LBS with a wavier that 107 is a lot of work........just to fly a 3 lbs drone over some guys roof and count tiles..... Nah - I make better money at my day job.

I will stick to my Fixed wings and AMA for th emost part - the sub 250 gram drones I fly still bear my registration # - as I am 100% legit pilot who wants to fly in a park that is not even close (In reality) to the airport in question. SUch a shame it hads to be this way because of the few who fly into airports and aircraft. Guy got arested in CALF in 2020 for hiting a police helicoppter - Come on man, How can you do that?

And you bring up a good point - flyspots - flysafe - whtever 3rd party gig you use, it is NOT the exact same boundries as the FAA has and I have a link to the site that does here for all who read this thread, Word,

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad

2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-23 12:07
No, ATC does not receive your authorisation. Wherever you've got this information, it is completely wrong.

It's not up to you to say 'hey I'm flying in your zone, here's my info'. Controlled airspace means ATC is in control, not you.

I see your a captain - so I am going to  give you the respect - we agree to disagree - on this matter - please stop posting in my thread.
I am trying ot find out if there is a way to make things like they used to be before my software update. WHen I flew countless flights then it was legal - its legal today.

YOu do not even know what zone or class this airspace is before you shot off at your mouth  so please stop.

I am trying to fly in  spot that you are allowed to with the correct prior authorizations if you honor the ALTITUDE limit - WHat is your problem with this?
2023-4-23
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nitro-Tom Posted at 4-23 12:17
I see your a captain - so I am going to  give you the respect - we agree to disagree - on this matter - please stop posting in my thread.
I am trying ot find out if there is a way to make things like they used to be before my software update. WHen I flew countless flights then it was legal - its legal today.

I don't need to know the class of airspace to know that what you wrote in your original post doesn't sound right. By all means, let me know where you're trying to fly and I'll gladly take a look at the charts to see. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I'll post in your thread all I like
2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-23 12:31
I don't need to know the class of airspace to know that what you wrote in your original post doesn't sound right. By all means, let me know where you're trying to fly and I'll gladly take a look at the charts to see. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I'll post in your thread all I like

Well if your going to be like that I am going to put you to work......and maybe we can confirm the rules have not changes as I am not 107 or commercial so I do not keep up with that every day.....and they dont change every day either - the FAA moves at a snails pace in most cases......

This is NOT my Executive airport in question - FYI

But rules are rules - there are zones and you can see there are area's relatively close - but NOT in the approach path or close enough so there is altitude restrictions. And it required prior auth within DJI Fly - whoever gets that info - if its via LAANC or not I am not sure and am counting on DJI Fly for help there. I am happy to give ATC my cell number and if they have aeroscope they can watch me fly around the picnic tables and film - no problem.call me to check on the BBQ - they don't care and I sm not in the way or close enough to be an issue AS LONG as I am honoring that 100' zone,

Now in my case - its even more open - the zone I am "Entering" has a 200' alt limit - and I used to get warned and before take off cheeked the 3 boxes and I could fly well into that "Zone" but still way far away from any "No Fly Zone" IMHO.

Hope this helps "Illustrate" my issues - I am outside that zone - it must have recently resized in my fly safe app. with the recent database update. It is not longer recognizing that I am near a zone where alt is restricted - then I go into that zone mid flight and bang - the bird stops flying forward. and I am well below that 200 foot ALT. I might add.

NO big deal - I have read about people complaining DJI will not let me fly - My drone has never failed to take off, but if I was in frot of the pizza place across the street from the runway, it should not and I know that because of these safeguards built into the software DJI FLy on my phone it would not take off even if i tried - and I would not as it is not legal to fly in that zone.

Not only am I a safety geek - but I am aware - that DJI and everyone else who cares could probably tell me the battery level I ended my last flight with  - if they cared to get that info. THis is all logged and wether FAA has it real time or not - it is mute - the oversight and the restrictions (Such as remote ID later this year) are here for all our safety and the security of the NAS - I get it - Just trying to fly 30' off the ground in a park and over a lake. - #Harderthanithastobe

2023-4-23
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nitro-Tom Posted at 4-23 13:00
Well if your going to be like that I am going to put you to work......and maybe we can confirm the rules have not changes as I am not 107 or commercial so I do not keep up with that every day.....and they dont change every day either - the FAA moves at a snails pace in most cases......

This is NOT my Executive airport in question - FYI

Quite interesting looking into the FAA's approach to things versus what we do over the pond. Somewhat simpler compared to the CAA, but as I suspected, you were falling foul of the law.

Anyway, as mentioned by @Mobilehomer, you need LAANC as it's Class E Controlled Airspace. To gain that you need the ALOFT app which is the correct means to get approval. The DJI controller is simply a way of accepting responsibility and putting your name on a register so that there's a record of you agreeing that you're authorised. DJI also get you to agree to this to ensure they are not liable, the wording really makes that clear.

Once you've got that LAANC authorised, you need to head over to DJI FlySafe, upload that permission and flight plan, await DJI's approval and they'll send you an unlock code. Upload that to the drone and then it'll fly in the area you've chosen.

You've mentioned a couple of times the 200ft permission. It's clear as day that the LAANC authorisation will automatically give you 200ft, but you've not got it because the DJI controller isn't the way to get approval. Get that LAANC and you're good to 200ft as it states.

Really clear cut that you're in restricted airspace and you've not followed the process correctly. So much for being a Safety Officer at your RC club.

2023-4-23
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Cloud Visual is 100% correct. The Fly app does NOT submit LAANC requests. It is ONLY to unlock DJI geozones. And they are NOT connected to the FAA in any respect. As CV said, use Aloft to submit for LAANC.
2023-4-23
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

well you learn something new every day - that's if your paying attention. and because I am not part 107 or up on the latest convoluted authorization process from our famous FAA does not make me "Not Safe" - nor does it make me a bad safety officer. why don't you come over here and check the failsafe on my $3000 30% yak before I fly - and tell me how it works so you will look just as much like a fool who knows nothing as I do here - so don't bash someone else who falls short - not necessary. There is no deliberate or malicious intent here - just trying to fly and have fun safely on a Sunday.  I am 2.94 miles away and no where near approach paths.......flying below 50'. and if folks like you who knew more were not such pompous a-holes (As in your first reply) people might come out and ask more questions and try harder to play by the rules  - rather than fear looking silly and getting ridiculed - and the TRUST test needs some work and additional info on this stuff......Nuf said......

So now I found out what I think is going on here - and this is aligning to what everyone says that DJI Fly and other 3rd party apps are best effort and more to CYA for DJI but they make a good effort and it adds value for sure. Pilots need to check the FAA map above or a more detailed ressource before trusting these 3rd party apps for being acurate. The fly safe app is not prefect - and here is a great example of why.

So the zones as you get closer to the airport go in 4 sections - this is from here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/ ... 20may%20operate%20a,Air%20Traffic%20Control%20(ATC).

Operations conducted from 0 to 2 nautical miles (NM) from the Airport Reference Point (ARP) will not be authorized by Headquarters/Service Center without prior coordination with the facility.
Operations conducted from beyond 2 NM and up to 3 NM from the ARP will be authorized to operate at or below 100 feet above ground level (AGL).
Operations conducted from beyond 3 NM and up to 4 NM from the ARP will be authorized to operate at or below 200 feet AGL.
Operations conducted from beyond 4 nautical miles from the ARP will be authorized to operate at or below 400 feet AGL.

Well now I find out that the max alt in that zone I take off from is really not 200' but only 50' on the FAA map linked above (Da) (Not good) and the zone I used to fly into (Well into as the map is not that acurate - maybe 1/8th or 1/16th of a mile error) is a 0 feet no fly zone. (Yikes) Now while that is lame as I have lived here almost 50 years and never seen a plane that far off course - it could happen and the zones are no more or less than any other airport so we have to honor it. I want to follow the rules. there is a crcle around the spot and I will honor that now that I know those boundries.

As we look at this exact situation I am at 2.94 miles away from the airport and the FAA map says I can only fly 50' AGL- the boundry is sharp it goes from 400' just west of me to 50' - not steping down gradually. not sure why but the all knowing FAA must have a reason. So the fly app is just doing what the above 4 rules says - it knows the waypoint for the airport and I am 3 miles away - limit me to 200' - thats what it does. not ideal for the unknowing consumer pilot......but it's my job to learn the rules and know them so my bad.

So moral of the story is the fly safe datsbase update was actually an improvment getting me more acurate and closer to the actual intent of the zone, but it also points out that the DJI Fly app and fly safe is not good enough. If you are like me and you want to play by the rules - the above link to the FAA map to plan your flights in that area, the Aloft app, and even the drone zone are all necessary to check the validiaty of the info in DJI Fly and to get the proper prior authorizations to fly if needed.

I found this as a good resource to show the apps that use Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/laanc#approved

And Honestly I thought DJI Fly safe was Approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers app = but it is NOT - Pilot beware - no such thing as ignorance of the law.

Seem I had been unintenionally breaking the rules because of ignorance - not any more now that I know. I am looking for new turf out west - easiest move is to just stay away.

2023-4-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-23 13:49
Cloud Visual is 100% correct. The Fly app does NOT submit LAANC requests. It is ONLY to unlock DJI geozones. And they are NOT connected to the FAA in any respect. As CV said, use Aloft to submit for LAANC.

Yeah - ALOFT is the way to go for sure. Thanks for the guidance - that is the way I am going.

And they even try to make it easy for you to follow the rules. I thought this was a nice notice:

Starting on February 20 Recreational Flyers may request an airspace authorization to operate in controlled airspace at night through LAANC and before you fly, make sure you meet all of the requirements of the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft.
i mean seriously I do not do any flying at night as FPV or low light camera drone is not my thing, but still very cool that they allow this and show you the proper way to get authorization.

I thought the drone would need an upward facing strobe to fly leagally at night?
I want to review the link they have to the requirements and see if that is true or not.

Thanks agian for the clarifications.
2023-4-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-23 13:41
Quite interesting looking into the FAA's approach to things versus what we do over the pond. Somewhat simpler compared to the CAA, but as I suspected, you were falling foul of the law.

Anyway, as mentioned by @Mobilehomer, you need LAANC as it's Class E Controlled Airspace. To gain that you need the ALOFT app which is the correct means to get approval. The DJI controller is simply a way of accepting responsibility and putting your name on a register so that there's a record of you agreeing that you're authorised. DJI also get you to agree to this to ensure they are not liable, the wording really makes that clear.

Thank you for this clarification
2023-4-24
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nitro-Tom Posted at 4-24 05:22
well you learn something new every day - that's if your paying attention. and because I am not part 107 or up on the latest convoluted authorization process from our famous FAA does not make me "Not Safe" - nor does it make me a bad safety officer. why don't you come over here and check the failsafe on my $3000 30% yak before I fly - and tell me how it works so you will look just as much like a fool who knows nothing as I do here - so don't bash someone else who falls short - not necessary. There is no deliberate or malicious intent here - just trying to fly and have fun safely on a Sunday.  I am 2.94 miles away and no where near approach paths.......flying below 50'. and if folks like you who knew more were not such pompous a-holes (As in your first reply) people might come out and ask more questions and try harder to play by the rules  - rather than fear looking silly and getting ridiculed - and the TRUST test needs some work and additional info on this stuff......Nuf said......

So now I found out what I think is going on here - and this is aligning to what everyone says that DJI Fly and other 3rd party apps are best effort and more to CYA for DJI but they make a good effort and it adds value for sure. Pilots need to check the FAA map above or a more detailed ressource before trusting these 3rd party apps for being acurate. The fly safe app is not prefect - and here is a great example of why.

At least you know now.

All I have to say is that I found this information out in about five minutes. It wasn't confusing, difficult or misleading. The FAA made it very clear what needs to be done and what apps to use.

I landed on this page: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/b4ufly - And following on from this everything just fell into place. Along with the ALOFT app, you should use that B4UFLY app - that's where I got the LAANC info which then led me to the ALOFT app.

Compared to the UK, this is really simple to get clearance.

Regarding your point about only getting a 50ft clearance in an area. You might think you're miles away from an airport, but it's there for a reason. Who's to say that the airport isn't a flight school and the students are doing 200ft circuits. In the same way you might be driving, wondering why the speed limit is so low for such an open or clear stretch of road, there's usually a good reason. Ultimately you've got to follow those rules or you land in a heap of trouble.

Out of all of this, you're probably going to find the DJI unlocking process the biggest headache here. It's simple once you've got the hang of it, but first couple of times can be confusing.
2023-4-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-24 05:40
At least you know now.

All I have to say is that I found this information out in about five minutes. It wasn't confusing, difficult or misleading. The FAA made it very clear what needs to be done and what apps to use.

True that and Thanks Again for the patience and pointers - we are all (Or most of us) trying to do it right and it really is true the FAA is trying to make it easy as well.

I am going to review the requirements from that link for rec flyers, download the apps, and try to apply for my first TURE authorization. I will post again on that here ASAP.
Wohoo - then and only then can I legaly fly around my house at 50' AGL :-) IF I can get DJI to take the Auth. Looking forward to the challenge and learning a new technique.

I thought this was really already doing that and it was doing nothing but  CYA for DJI and that is not great - I am sure others are thinking like I was and need to be careful.

We R/C piloas may have the ability to fly up to 400' AGL in many places but we ALWAYS have to maintain line of sight and ALWAYS see and avoid - yeild to aircraft at all times, who cares if he is outside some lines, he has every right to be there (Maned Aircraft) and we are just a guest that is NOT allowed to enter the NAS (National air space)

2023-4-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-24 05:40
At least you know now.

And I think I will be using the B4UFLY app more as it has a Desktop version which is easier and better than my old phone
2023-4-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

So i downloaded both apps as I initially tried the desktop version of B4UFly which looked cool but I like the mobile version better. It has much better checklist and the it uses Aloft Air Control for the LAANC authorization.
So its not really apparent but once you get it the only area of ALOFT I reaaly need is the LAANC area and it was super easy.
And in my zone the 50' authorization is automatic - you get a text back in seconds.

And I knew from reading the 107 stuff that you needed a strobe to run at night - not for me. but still awesoe that it is reminding you of the rules. Great app!

Moral of the story is it is easy to fly by the rules and I really want to do that.....and I never really had to upload the code to DJI FLY - I really think I should have to. It is a seriously restricted zone with max ALT of 50' - doesnt get much more restricted than that. At this point I think I will use the FAA map for all site surveys before flying.

These fly spot apps are cool and all - but you need to check carefully - I just realized this site I fly from now is not 200' AGL but only 50' AGL - and there is a unregulated hliepad at the nearby hospital just about 1 mile closer than the airport. You would still not want ot be anywhere near there when they are bringing in a trama alert. So now I know that hospital Helipad is there - never saw that without ALOFT or B4UFly........ learn something new every day - if your paying attention

Thanks to the more experienced for helping shed light on the correct process for recreational flyers like myself getting proper authorizations to fly in restricted airspace.

These are going to be few and far between for me - I am usually taking the FPV birds out to the filed to setup a course and fly gates with FPV. I am at an AMA Airfield then.

The camera drone is only for picnics and events worth filming. And now I can better scout those sites a week in advnance, and even get Prior auth if needed in advance. Simple!

Nice check Lists!

Nice check Lists!

Shows easy auto approved

Shows easy auto approved

I knew you needed lighting at night

I knew you needed lighting at night
2023-4-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We highly recommend coordinating this concern directly with our team at flysafe@dji.com for further assistance. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-25
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
United States

I will consider reaching out to flysafe@dji.com if needed. No action required as the update actually improved the map of the product. Now my drone is not allowed to enter a zone it should not be allowed to fly in. Thanks again!

Now this thread can serve as a place noobs like me can get info on how to get PROPER Prior Authorization to fly in restricted airspace. This involves the following:

Prerequisite items that need to be done before you can fly:

Starting out with B4UFly gives you a good check list and pre flight check list for your drone. And YES - you should check for loose props and such BEOFRE every flight. I know it gest old but the onte time you find something it will potentially save you a world of hurt - loosing your drone or even worse. So do Pre-Flight checks every time please.

I got my first PROPER authorization yesterday and it was about as easy as turning on Jerry Spranger on tv. took only a few minutes and then you have what you need to prove you are legal to fly and you just have to stay within the rules  = in my case 50 foot AGL and no more.

Hope this helps as I was never really deep into the Part 107 as I am not commercial - but I actually thought DJI Fly was giving my cell to the Air Trafffic Controllers at the local Executive airport and giving me proper prior authorization to fly. THat was not the case as DJI Flysafe was not correct at limiting my to 200'. Thus the need for the above!

Enjoy and fly safe - fly often!
2023-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules