Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Pocket2 Holder Setup

Hi there, and welcome! I wanted to share with you the setup I have adopted when using my DJI Osmo Pocket 2 (and my Osmo Action 3 as a bonus at the end).

The pocket 2 works well for me with the only drawback being that the screen is so small and especially in bright sunlight conditions outdoors I find that I struggle to keep the subject in frame.
With the addition of the do it all handle and wifi connection to my cellphone I can now keep the subject in frame BUT now I need an extra hand or a tripod as I have two things in my hand.
Fortunately DJI supplies an adaptor with usb c
This slides into the camera body so that it can connect directly to my cellphone, so I can control the camera without using the do it all handle.
So now, using the Mimo app you can use the cellphone as a screen and have a much larger view with all the features for framing the subject and control of the gimbal.
Still finding this a bit unwieldyI have a pistol grip that doubles as a small tripod.
I added to this a cellphone bracket.
And now I have a one-handed setup that is easier to use giving full function and larger screen.
Add to this an adaptor and magnetic mount and I can add my Action 3 which uses bluetooth.
this means that I can switch between cameras easily.

2023-4-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like a useful setup Droff.  I don't like the DJI attachment to the Pocket2 for a smartphone - it's so flimsy.  I prefer to set the pocket2 either on a tripod or a stable surface, and control it from the Mimo App on the smartphone by Bluetooth.  With the Action2 on its magnetic lanyard around my neck I can switch control between the two momentarily.
I tried another underwater test of the Action2 yesterday, for a laugh. It worked quite well, but as you might expect, as soon as it dipped beneath the water surface the bluetooth connection to the phone was lost
2023-4-25
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Blériot53 Posted at 4-25 22:38
Seems like a useful setup Droff.  I don't like the DJI attachment to the Pocket2 for a smartphone - it's so flimsy.  I prefer to set the pocket2 either on a tripod or a stable surface, and control it from the Mimo App on the smartphone by Bluetooth.  With the Action2 on its magnetic lanyard around my neck I can switch control between the two momentarily.
I tried another underwater test of the Action2 yesterday, for a laugh. It worked quite well, but as you might expect, as soon as it dipped beneath the water surface the bluetooth connection to the phone was lost

Ja, I don't think radio works so well under water - submarines used to have to surface to use the radio - or send a bouy up - never a girl - they talk too much.......
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droffarc Posted at 4-26 00:31
Ja, I don't think radio works so well under water - submarines used to have to surface to use the radio - or send a bouy up - never a girl - they talk too much.......

Nowadays they can receive messages underwater via a very long wire antenna trailed behind the boat via ELF (not PIXIE)  But still have to approach the surface to transmit.   DowntownRDB may be able to tell us more
2023-4-26
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 00:53
Nowadays they can receive messages underwater via a very long wire antenna trailed behind the boat via ELF (not PIXIE)  But still have to approach the surface to transmit.   DowntownRDB may be able to tell us more

????

Surely not
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That hasn't made it to the UK  
2023-4-26
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 01:29
That hasn't made it to the UK

No loss

in fact it was probably a gain for the Brits    - only mildly amusing
2023-4-26
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes, I‘m with Mr B: flimsy so your setup seems good. Though for me the size and portability is more important.
2023-4-26
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Depp Posted at 4-26 03:53
Yes, I‘m with Mr B: flimsy so your setup seems good. Though for me the size and portability is more important.

Ja, when I need the portability I can easily just not assemble as shown and use the little knobby joystick.
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droffarc Posted at 4-26 02:54
No loss

in fact it was probably a gain for the Brits    - only mildly amusing

Fair enough
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very creative Droffarc.    That rig definitely offers you some flexibility in switching between cameras as desired.  
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 4-26 00:31

or send a bouy up - never a girl - they talk too much

You should have been a comedian Droffarc.  
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 00:53

You are right Mr. B.

For a submarine to retain its tactical advantage, it must remain submerged in the mixed layer, which is around 60 to 100 meters deep, below which surface sonars cannot detect them. Submarine communications are currently carried out while submerged using ELF or VLF radio waves because only very low or extremely low frequencies can penetrate the water at those depths.

The VLF and ELF frequencies only offer a very low bandwidth: VLF supports a few hundred bits a second while ELF sustains just a few bits each minute. This prevents the transmission of complex data such as video.

One solution being used is to carry out optical communications using a laser.  Laser optical communications have been used between a submarine and a satellite or an airborne platform, secured by using quantum information.  QKD is a protocol which uses quantum information to generate a pair of perfectly secure keys.  

Quantum information has two important properties for securing communications. It cannot be copied which means it cannot be forged, and every time a quantum state is measured by an observer it gets collapsed, which means its properties are very difficult to detect.  Combined in QKD, these properties can be used to generate perfectly secure keys because the secrecy of the keys is guaranteed by the laws of physics.

Now you know how the latest communication systems work.  More to it but the rest is highly classified.
2023-4-26
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 11:26
Very creative Droffarc.    That rig definitely offers you some flexible in switching between cameras as desired.

Thank you Downtown
2023-4-26
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 11:28
or send a bouy up - never a girl - they talk too much

You should have been a comedian Droffarc.

I tried but no-one understands what I say, so I end up laughing instead of the audience.

2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 11:40
You are right Mr. B.

For a submarine to retain its tactical advantage, it must remain submerged in the mixed layer, which is around 60 to 100 meters deep, below which surface sonars cannot detect them. Submarine communications are currently carried out while submerged using ELF or VLF radio waves because only very low or extremely low frequencies can penetrate the water at those depths.

Thanks RDB. I won't press you further on the classified details
I know that VLF has been used to transmit through solid rock for cave rescuers using devices they call MolePhones.  Slow data rates over ELF, I know, limit its usefulness to the briefest of messages, maybe like:
SURFACE TO RX URGENT ORDERS, perhaps.
Laser transmissions must be better, as trailing a couple of miles of wire behind a sub as a RX antenna must limit its manoeuvrability.
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

My pleasure kind sir.  
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 4-26 11:48
I tried but no-one understands what I say, so I end up laughing instead of the audience.

So that makes you a one man show (entertainer and audience).  
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 12:03
Thanks RDB. I won't press you further on the classified details
I know that VLF has been used to transmit through solid rock for cave rescuers using devices they call MolePhones.  Slow data rates over ELF, I know, limit its usefulness to the briefest of messages, maybe like:
SURFACE TO RX URGENT ORDERS, perhaps.

Yeah, trailing wires, etc was cumbersome and also gave up a tactical advantage.  Lasers are the way forward for submarine comms.
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 12:16
Yeah, trailing wires, etc was cumbersome and also gave up a tactical advantage.  Lasers are the way forward for submarine comms.

They're being used for wifi internet transmissions too, as i'm sure you're aware. Maybe experimental, but massive data rates.  And that's not classified

2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 12:23
They're being used for wifi internet transmissions too, as i'm sure you're aware. Maybe experimental, but massive data rates.  And that's not classified

No doubt about massive data rates.  I remember the days of Sat phones and the data wasn't cheap either.  
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 13:20
No doubt about massive data rates.  I remember the days of Sat phones and the data wasn't cheap either.

Outside my price range
Two cocoa tins and a length of twine, I could afford
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 13:24
Outside my price range
Two cocoa tins and a length of twine, I could afford

Man, I do remember those days.  I had a Sat phone that I used when underway on my boat and too far out for cell phone service but decided it was not worth the plan with the minimal use I got out of it.  I figured the Icom M330G VHF radio with GPS was all I needed.  It works in the US, Canada and international waters and I love the tri-watch channel monitoring.  
2023-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-26 13:41
Man, I do remember those days.  I had a Sat phone that I used when underway on my boat and too far out for cell phone service but decided it was not worth the plan with the minimal use I got out of it.  I figured the Icom M330G VHF radio with GPS was all I needed.  It works in the US, Canada and international waters and I love the tri-watch channel monitoring.

Sounds like the ideal setup.
2023-4-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-26 14:10
Sounds like the ideal setup.

It definitely is not the most expensive option or most functional one out there but it meets my needs completely.   
2023-4-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-27 02:22
It definitely is not the most expensive option or most functional one out there but it meets my needs completely.

2023-4-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see.
2023-4-27
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Looks mostly like a handy setup :-) If you don't mind, I would like to give one upgrade tip though: If you got yourself a phone clip that connects the Pocket 2 and the phone together, you could get more stability, security and support between them. It could be a bit risky to keep the Pocket 2 connected to the phone only by the USB-C connection. Also, some clips have additional mounting options such as coldshoes and tripod threads, so that could open up new possibilities for adding more accessories such as LED panels and external microphones. Other than that, not a bad setup.
2023-5-2
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

HGDC84 Posted at 5-2 13:02
Looks mostly like a handy setup :-) If you don't mind, I would like to give one upgrade tip though: If you got yourself a phone clip that connects the Pocket 2 and the phone together, you could get more stability, security and support between them. It could be a bit risky to keep the Pocket 2 connected to the phone only by the USB-C connection. Also, some clips have additional mounting options such as coldshoes and tripod threads, so that could open up new possibilities for adding more accessories such as LED panels and external microphones. Other than that, not a bad setup.

"a phone clip that connects the Pocket 2 and the phone together"

Interesting, thanks, could you add a pic so that I can see exactly what you are mentioning, please HGDC
2023-5-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Droffarc Posted at 5-2 13:08
"a phone clip that connects the Pocket 2 and the phone together"

Interesting, thanks, could you add a pic so that I can see exactly what you are mentioning, please HGDC

You can see the official one from DJI at here: https://store.dji.com/fi/product/pocket-2-phone-clip

There are also many similar ones from other manufacturers such as PGYtech and Ulanzi, and even some 3D print models. They may have some small differences in their properties, and you can find them from online stores such as eBay and Amazon, and some retail stores too. Good luck in finding the one that suits your needs the best
2023-5-2
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

HGDC84 Posted at 5-2 13:16
You can see the official one from DJI at here: https://store.dji.com/fi/product/pocket-2-phone-clip

There are also many similar ones from other manufacturers such as PGYtech and Ulanzi, and even some 3D print models. They may have some small differences in their properties, and you can find them from online stores such as eBay and Amazon, and some retail stores too. Good luck in finding the one that suits your needs the best

Ah Yes!
I have this set

And have tried

But am somewhat of a minimalist. I think I will give it another go and try with the bracket.
Thanks for the info
2023-5-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Good luck with your trials. For what I am seeing, I would say the closer to the center of the phone the clip mount is, the more stable the connection will be. But I guess the best way to find the correct option for you is probably through trial and error (as long as you don't break anything)
2023-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules