Mini 3Pro Altitude
2101 18 2023-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WarrenD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 577 ft
Australia

My prevoius Mavic Air recorded the height above take off on the photo properties.
My new Mini 3 Pro records altitude (ie 45.208) which doesn't seem to relate to height.
The higher I fly the less the prefix (ie 45) is.  The 208 remains constant.

Is there a setting to store the height above take off point in the properties of the photo?
Many thanks
2023-4-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do not know the answer to your question .... but, is there a reason you want this information or is it just 'idle curiosity'.
If there is a reason then it is possible that the mini 3 's flight log records when photos are taken and you would probably be able to match photos to heights in the logs. If it is just "idle curiosity" then it may not be worth the bother.
2023-4-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is there a setting to store the height above take off point in the properties of the photo?
It's already there in the image metadata, without you having to do anything.
If you can't find it, upload a full-size original jpg to google drive or similar and post a link and I'll show you where to find  the relative height in the metadata.
2023-4-26
Use props
WarrenD
lvl.1
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-26 04:53
I do not know the answer to your question .... but, is there a reason you want this information or is it just 'idle curiosity'.
If there is a reason then it is possible that the mini 3 's flight log records when photos are taken and you would probably be able to match photos to heights in the logs. If it is just "idle curiosity" then it may not be worth the bother.

Thanks for your reply.  I have a couple of friends who are looking at properties to buy and wanted to know what the views would be like on a 2nd story.  Therefore I took a range of photos mostly around 5.3m which is about eye height on level 2.  This worked fine with the Mavic Air but not the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-4-26
Use props
WarrenD
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-26 16:53
It's already there in the image metadata, without you haveing to do anything.
If you can't find it, upload a full-size original jpg to google drive or similar and post a link and I'll show you where to find  the relative height in the metadata.

Many thanks for your reply.  This photo was shot at about 3m.  However in the photo properties  the altitude is 45.208
2023-4-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WarrenD Posted at 4-26 18:12
[view_image]
Many thanks for your reply.  This photo was shot at about 3m.  However in the photo properties  the altitude is 45.208

The relative altitude is in that image's metadata.
But when you post an image to the forum, it shrinks the image and strips off the metadata.
If you upload to Dropbox or something similar and post a link, I'll be able to see the metadata and show you where to find the relative altitude.
2023-4-26
Use props
WarrenD
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-26 18:42
The relative altitude is in that image's metadata.
But when you post an image to the forum, it shrinks the image and strips off the metadata.
If you upload to Dropbox or something similar and post a link, I'll be able to see the metadata and show you where to find the relative altitude.

Sorry. Here is a screen shot
2023-4-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WarrenD Posted at 4-26 21:01
Sorry. Here is a screen shot
[view_image]

Your screenshot is unnecessary.
I've read your posts and know exactly what you are talking about.
The relative height is in your image metadata, but you can't see it with the software you are using.
I've replied twice already with instructions to help me help you.
Now go and do what I asked for if you want the answer.
2023-4-26
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Labroides Posted at 4-26 16:53
It's already there in the image metadata, without you having to do anything.

Here is a set of images from mapping mission, I would also like to know where can we find the altitude data.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... xOrVgkxch9OdXxAKM_v
2023-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ranjan Posted at 4-27 00:04
Here is a set of images from mapping mission, I would also like to know where can we find the altitude data.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... xOrVgkxch9OdXxAKM_v

No worries.
The metadata has a number of sections, some of which don't show in simple metadata viewers.
The XMP section shows the two heights, Absolute Altitude and Relative Altitude.
These are in metres.
Relative Altitude is the height relative to the launch point and the height you see on the screen when flying.

The Absolute Altitude is useless.
It's a rough approximation of height above sea level.
But DJI uses a faulty formula to convert air pressure to height ASL and the formula assumes that air pressure doesn't change with the weather.
The Absolute Altitude data is usually quite wrong and can easily be out by +/- 200 ft or more.
A-1.jpg
2023-4-27
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Sounds like the GPS module is a bit broken. I know the absolute height usually turns up in the Windows properties, as a huge number that makes it seem as if you were flying illegally.
2023-4-27
Use props
WarrenD
lvl.1
Australia

Zoooom Posted at 4-27 01:40
Sounds like the GPS module is a bit broken. I know the absolute height usually turns up in the Windows properties, as a huge number that makes it seem as if you were flying illegally.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gh_vHmvODAGqv8h_qkO6s0uCK51ResnE/view?usp=share_link
Here is a link to the Photo
I think you are correct re absolute & relative
2023-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Zoooom Posted at 4-27 01:40

It has nothing to do with GPS.
2023-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WarrenD Posted at 4-27 03:17
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gh_vHmvODAGqv8h_qkO6s0uCK51ResnE/view?usp=share_link
Here is a link to the Photo
I think you are correct re absolute & relative

Relative Altitude was 3 metres
ANd if the Absolute altitude was accurate, your drone was 45 metres below sea level.
But if you shoot there on another day, it could be reading some number above sea level.

Alt-2.jpg
2023-4-27
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Labroides Posted at 4-27 01:22
No worries.
The metadata has a number of sections, some of which don't show in simple metadata viewers.
The XMP section shows the two heights, Absolute Altitude and Relative Altitude.

Thanks for showing the data.
Which Exif app is this which you are using?
2023-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ranjan Posted at 4-27 07:01
Thanks for showing the data.
Which Exif app is this which you are using?

That one is Picture Information Extractor
2023-4-27
Use props
WarrenD
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-27 13:43
That one is Picture Information Extractor

Spot on.  Many thanks.  
2023-4-27
Use props