2397 9 2023-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HD Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5159026 ft
  • >>>
United States

I understand the LED color codes used when the drone is in start up, but is there a reason why the LED's on the drones do not illuminate with the international positioning colors used by aircraft. i.e. Red on the left side and green on the right when the drone is in flight?

Just curious

2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, may I ask about the model of the drone you're referring to? Are you referring to the aircraft front arm LEDs?
2023-4-26
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hello Mindy,

Yes . Some of the mini's (front arms only), the Mavics, and all of the larger drones have the LED's that  alternate red - green once in the air.
I know that there are restrictions for recreational use that are restricted to night flights, but Certified remote pilots can fly them at night.
I do at times fly the drones at night and I add position lights and beacons (correctly located) that meet the FAA minimum requirements of 3 miles. Its so much easier to visually know the drones flight orientation with the correct light placement.
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HD Pilot Posted at 4-26 20:26
Hello Mindy,

Yes . Some of the mini's (front arms only), the Mavics, and all of the larger drones have the LED's that  alternate red - green once in the air.

Could you please tell us the model of your drone so that we can better confirm this for you?
2023-4-27
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Mini 3 Pro alternates green and red. it would be nice if the LEDs when illuminated inflight would stay solid  Red on the left side and green on the right.
The Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic flash red and green on the forward arms and alternate to the aft arms. Again, if the forward and rear arms had a steady lite LED , red on the left side arms and green on the right side arms.

The positioning lights on aircraft are red on the left, green on the right.
The logic is if you see green only, the aircraft is flying to the right of you.
If the lights are red, then the aircraft is flying  to the left of you.
When you see red on the left and green on the right, the aircraft is moving away from you.
And when you see red on the right and green on the left, the aircraft is flying toward you. (a pilots adage - "Red Right, returning")

I hope this helps explain my thoughts.
Thank you
2023-4-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HD Pilot Posted at 4-27 07:51
The Mini 3 Pro alternates green and red. it would be nice if the LEDs when illuminated inflight would stay solid  Red on the left side and green on the right.
The Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic flash red and green on the forward arms and alternate to the aft arms. Again, if the forward and rear arms had a steady lite LED , red on the left side arms and green on the right side arms.

Thanks for the detailed information. We will forward your feedback and request to the corresponding team. Thanks for your understanding and support to DJI.
2023-4-29
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-29 01:22
Thanks for the detailed information. We will forward your feedback and request to the corresponding team. Thanks for your understanding and support to DJI.

Thank you, It would be great if they could standardize the LED's when the UAS's are in flight., it would comply with aviation standards for all aircraft and even maritime craft.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

HD Pilot Posted at 5-3 11:10
Thank you, It would be great if they could standardize the LED's when the UAS's are in flight., it would comply with aviation standards for all aircraft and even maritime craft.

Thank you for the advice. We will tell them.
2023-5-4
Use props
SteveMo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169140 ft
United States

I cannot conceive how this exceptionally obvious suggestion is both a) not the default behavior and b) completely ignored thus far.

Red left, green right is not rocket surgery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light

Granted, the rule is not a legal mandate for UAS, but seriously, how is it not adopted as the standard for drones???

This is such an obvious default mode for aircraft with VLOS mandates that its absence boggles the mind.
2023-10-18
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SteveMo Posted at 10-18 16:25
I cannot conceive how this exceptionally obvious suggestion is both a) not the default behavior and b) completely ignored thus far.

Red left, green right is not rocket surgery:

Because something as a simple logical idea as using the correct LED colors to denote the UAS's position in flight is irrelevant in keeping VLOS, even thou the FAA in the US has regulations for remote pilots to know visually what your aircraft is doing in relation to it's flight and position.
2023-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules