Manual vs Normal Mode
2069 15 2023-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanseb311160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365640 ft
United States

I've been flying the FPV for about a year. My main objective is to capture high quality cinematic video. Below is a link to a sample of my work.

I fly in normal mode and ocassionally sport mode to take advantage of cruise control. However, I've not learned to fly in manual mode. I'm not interested in racing or acrobatic moves just capturing slow, smooth cinema-like video.

Manual mode fliers.....I'd be interested in hearing from you about what I'm missing in achieving the above objective by not graduating to manual mode.

Tom

Link to sample video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wgwbqPCx1Zg4NHfa8   Be sure to unmute the video.

2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best suggestion from our fellow DJI Members here that currently flying in Manual mode on their DJI FPV. Please note that in manual mode, the aircraft will not automatically return to the center position once the control stick returns to the center position. To make the aircraft return to the center position, it is required to push the control stick in the reverse direction to a certain extent. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-4-26
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I don't think you're missing out much with your flying style. M mode would make you faster. I think the turning in N and S is very "unnatural" and I don't like the way it goes up and down. If you were to go down the mountains in the distance of your vid you'd be able to do it faster and more precise. The more you fly straight the less you'd need it. I can't imagine to fly N and S except for landing as I hate how it handles. But I know M is not for everyone and if you're fine with N and S then don't bother.
If you want to see how M might improve or change or spice up you footage (and still be "cinematic") you may watch my post Madeira - best of fpv a couple weeks back. If that's not your style (the edit is much quicker as well) then as I said: don't bother because it does come with a learning curve.
2023-4-26
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

from what i see in your video you dont need M mode
you may push it a little though, with tight turns, up and downs , at least to see how it looks on video
but if you dont feel like you may try also a mavic drone, you ll get a much better video quality
2023-4-27
Use props
fanseb311160
lvl.2
United States

Depp Posted at 4-26 21:43
I don't think you're missing out much with your flying style. M mode would make you faster. I think the turning in N and S is very "unnatural" and I don't like the way it goes up and down. If you were to go down the mountains in the distance of your vid you'd be able to do it faster and more precise. The more you fly straight the less you'd need it. I can't imagine to fly N and S except for landing as I hate how it handles. But I know M is not for everyone and if you're fine with N and S then don't bother.
If you want to see how M might improve or change or spice up you footage (and still be "cinematic") you may watch my post Madeira - best of fpv a couple weeks back. If that's not your style (the edit is much quicker as well) then as I said: don't bother because it does come with a learning curve.

Depp,
Thanks for the advice. I watched your Madeira video - well done.

Tom
2023-4-27
Use props
fanseb311160
lvl.2
United States

nightfly Posted at 4-27 02:22
from what i see in your video you dont need M mode
you may push it a little though, with tight turns, up and downs , at least to see how it looks on video
but if you dont feel like you may try also a mavic drone, you ll get a much better video quality

Nightfly,
Thanks for your comments. I guess I chose FPV rather than Mavic because I liked the idea of an immersive  experience with goggles. That said, I regret not having some of the automatic maneuvering (like orbiting) that are featured on Mavic. Also, the size of the FPV kit makes it cumbersome to travel with especially on an airplane. I’ve got my eye on the Mavic Mini Pro for that reason.

Regarding your comment about video quality, I’m not sure that I would be able to discern the difference. I guess I’ll take a deeper dive into the video specifications of each aircraft to understand why the Mavic quality is better as you state.

Tom
2023-4-27
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

great that i ve been useful
now you can enjoy fpv fly style with the mini 3 pro/mavic 3 /pro and goggles 2 or integra and mc2
about video quality, you will see the difference for sure, mavic series is made for imaging, bigger
camera sensors, better image processing and these auto modes you know about
both fpv and avata are made for playing around, their video capabilities are bonuses
2023-4-27
Use props
Andrew2023
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-4-26 17:52
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best suggestion from our fellow DJI Members here that currently flying in Manual mode on their DJI FPV. Please note that in manual mode, the aircraft will not automatically return to the center position once the control stick returns to the center position. To make the aircraft return to the center position, it is required to push the control stick in the reverse direction to a certain extent. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day ahead!

Hi, could you please help me figure out one thing?

I just got my DJI FPV drone, and I tried to fly in N mode. When I'm not doing anything, the drone is hovering. I want to see the same behavior in a simulator (Liftoff). Currently, I noticed that the drone's altitude is increasing when I don’t move any sticks, eg. when my left stick is centered.

Am I understanding correctly that I need to change the controller calibration setting Zero Point Throttle to 0.5? Will it then mimic the real life DJI FPV drone's behavior?

I’m sorry if I’m asking in the wrong thread.
1-16 21:54
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Andrew2023 Posted at 1-16 21:54
Hi, could you please help me figure out one thing?

I just got my DJI FPV drone, and I tried to fly in N mode. When I'm not doing anything, the drone is hovering. I want to see the same behavior in a simulator (Liftoff). Currently, I noticed that the drone's altitude is increasing when I don’t move any sticks, eg. when my left stick is centered.

Liftoff (as are most simulators...if not all) are designed for flying in acro/manual mode.

Flying is simple in normal and sport modes (or in FPV terms...angle and horizon modes) if common sense is used.

Flying in acro/manual modes becomes much more difficult...that's why they tell you to get as much simulator practice as possible.

And with the DJI FPV....the last think you want to do is crash....the Avata is a little tougher but for true FPV you need a carbon framed quad.....they take quite a beating but you have to keep well stocked in props (thank god their cheap in comparison to DJI props).

Back to your question....it's not impossible to hover in simulators, like Liftoff, but it is difficult...especially if you're new to FPV.

Also, you need to change your throttle stick to properly use simulators, like Liftoff, and to fly in acro/manual mode.

Here's a video showing how to change the throttle stick...

Here's a great series on learning to fly FPV using Liftoff

1-17 15:02
Use props
Andrew2023
lvl.2
Canada

DJIFlyer Posted at 1-17 15:02
Liftoff (as are most simulators...if not all) are designed for flying in acro/manual mode.

Flying is simple in normal and sport modes (or in FPV terms...angle and horizon modes) if common sense is used.

Wow, this is super helpful, thank you very much for such a detailed answer!
1-18 18:09
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

Andrew2023 Posted at 1-18 18:09
Wow, this is super helpful, thank you very much for such a detailed answer!

But you can set Liftoff to fly in Normal mode.
1-18 22:21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Andrew2023 Posted at 1-16 21:54
Hi, could you please help me figure out one thing?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regretfully, we don't have any guidance on any 3rd party software/app. Try to calibrate the Remote controller and check if the issue persists. If you experience any issues during calibration, please let us know. We appreciate your understanding.
1-19 00:35
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Waldo4280 Posted at 1-18 22:21
But you can set Liftoff to fly in Normal mode.

Hmmm....interesting. Never knew you could. But why would you want to?
1-19 05:40
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

DJIFlyer Posted at 1-19 05:40
Hmmm....interesting. Never knew you could. But why would you want to?

Why wouldn’t you? As as first time drone flyer it gave me the confidence to fly for real.
1-20 05:20
Use props
Andrew2023
lvl.2
Canada

Waldo4280 Posted at 1-20 05:20
Why wouldn’t you? As as first time drone flyer it gave me the confidence to fly for real.

When you say "Normal mode" are you talking about the "Level" mode?
1-20 19:04
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

Andrew2023 Posted at 1-20 19:04
When you say "Normal mode" are you talking about the "Level" mode?

Never heard of a ‘Level’ mode before, only Normal, Sport and Manual (Acro).
1-20 23:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules