Issue with AF
943 18 2023-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndrewWong2000
lvl.1

Australia

Upgraded to latest FW for DJI Mini 3 Pro and RC

I just did a shooting session only to come home and find all my shots were out of focus ( shooting shoreline from 100m alt.. )

Doing some tests at home.. the AF isn't working.. if I force it to MF, the camera will focus.. but in AF.. it won't switch from near to far.
Also doing some basic flying tests.. it will not re-focus.. until I force it to.

I've done the "erase all settings", re-formatted the SD cards
Wondering if it's the drone or the firmware ?

Date: 2023.04.25
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0600  
Skip to 1:00 and see how AF intially focuses then stops re-focusing.. without me touching any controls.

2023-4-27
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

My understanding is that autofocus (as in the drone constantly stay in focus) you must use Manual and Infinity... The actual Auto focus will focus only anytime you touch the screen to that particular part of the screen...

Lots of people here reckon that's not the way it should work, but nonetheless, that's how I get the drone to stay in focus... Manual then scroll all the way up to Infinity....
2023-4-28
Use props
AndrewWong2000
lvl.1

Australia

Great thanks for the advice.. will leave it locked at infinity unless I'm doing close ups or focus shots
2023-4-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

The drone does not have continuous focus. He only focuses when he is given the command to focus.
2023-4-28
Use props
djiuser_iiKucE29TbH5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 143835 ft
Poland

Have had the issue on the previous update when the focus was just lost after the propeller start. DJI replaced my drone w/o any issue (except postal service).
2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-28 07:26
The drone does not have continuous focus. He only focuses when he is given the command to focus.

That's my understanding as well...
2023-4-28
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 4-28 13:21
That's my understanding as well...

Allegedly (according to DJI) it will refocus without touching the screen but only if/when you pause the flight for a few seconds. It's a half-baked nonsense of a thing which DJI, for all their wonderful tech, should be ashamed of.
2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

trainee Posted at 4-28 15:02
Allegedly (according to DJI) it will refocus without touching the screen but only if/when you pause the flight for a few seconds. It's a half-baked nonsense of a thing which DJI, for all their wonderful tech, should be ashamed of.

Yes... I think they called Focus on demand, definitely not Auto focus as most people would think...
2023-4-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Burt37 Posted at 4-28 15:21
Yes... I think they called Focus on demand, definitely not Auto focus as most people would think...

They correctly called it autofocus. The photo cameras also have autofocus, and it works absolutely identical.
2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-28 17:19
They correctly called it autofocus. The photo cameras also have autofocus, and it works absolutely identical.

If only....

Cambridge Dictionary

auto-
prefix

of or by yourself, or operating independently and without needing help:

. an autofocus camera
. an auto-immune disease

I don't make the rules...

I'm sure the AF in my Nikon works differently...
2023-4-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Burt37 Posted at 4-28 17:41
If only....

Cambridge Dictionary

My Canon has AF and MF just like everyone else.
AF - pressed the button - the lens focused on the object itself.
MF - turn the focus ring.
And there are also additional modes for tracking focusing.
You are confusing the focus mechanism mode (AF / MF) and the tracking mode for tracking moving objects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-28 19:32
My Canon has AF and MF just like everyone else.
AF - pressed the button - the lens focused on the object itself.
MF - turn the focus ring.

You are right... I was thinking of the Autofocus Tracking... My bad...

2023-4-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Burt37 Posted at 4-28 19:51
You are right... I was thinking of the Autofocus Tracking... My bad...

And when shooting a video, it is better not to press the screen and the focus button, otherwise the focusing effect will be on the video and it will be an ugly marriage.
2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-28 20:40
And when shooting a video, it is better not to press the screen and the focus button, otherwise the focusing effect will be on the video and it will be an ugly marriage.

I don't really do much video, but by leaving the drone in infinity, it seems to work well, for what it is anyway...
2023-4-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, AndrewWong2000. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The video you posted is currently unavailable. Kindly upload it to this link for further checking. Thank you.
2023-4-28
Use props
AndrewWong2000
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 4-28 22:57
Hi, AndrewWong2000. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The video you posted is currently unavailable. Kindly upload it to this link for further checking. Thank you.

Thanks Tony.. uploaded..
Also made the video public
2023-4-29
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Deleted
2023-4-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-28 17:19

The confusion here is people want what Canon would call "Continuous Auto Focus".
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

AndrewWong2000 Posted at 4-29 17:10
Thanks Tony.. uploaded..
Also made the video public https://youtu.be/-4mI6vhS_2k

Thanks for sharing the video. Kindly check your inbox as we sent you a PM to gather more details. Thank you.
2023-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules