4266 133 2023-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has threw dirt on all of the original mavic 3 owners.... the original mavic 3 was supposed to be top of the line and that's why I got it. But then they release a pro version for the same price. Which is "just great"! Now if I wanted to get a mavic 3 pro, I have to purchase another drone for more than 2k. DJI has to do something about it. If anyone thinks the same please add your vote to this because we need this fixed.
2023-4-28
Use props
Wilson 000
lvl.2

Hong Kong

I think it is quite normal. Electronics are iterating fast, and it is a good thing to buy a better product at a better price. No offense...
2023-4-28
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wilson 000 Posted at 4-28 06:02
I think it is quite normal. Electronics are iterating fast, and it is a good thing to buy a better product at a better price. No offense...

Just the fact that DJI released the mavic 3 sayings it’s their flagship and then coming up with a pro version…
2023-4-28
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wilson 000 Posted at 4-28 06:02

I don’t think you understand the whole situation.
2023-4-28
Use props
Estelle Lau
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

I think it is a good beginning.  I'll be happy if they can keep providing better products at the same price as an old product.
2023-4-28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic 3 is 18 months old...

Do I care that I have to buy a new controller, not really. I'll sell the M3 and get about 3/4 the value I paid for it, so I get the pro for cheap.

Bonus, I get a new controller with a healthy battery. It'd probably cost a few hundred to get a battery replaced in one of those controllers.
2023-4-28
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-28 06:21

Do I care that I have to buy a new controller, not really. I'll sell the M3 and get about 3/4 the value I paid for it, so I get the pro for cheap.

Where I live the mavic 3 won’t sell for 1/2 the price.
2023-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI has to do something about it.
How dare they bring out new and improved products.
2023-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@ Drey. I .......    So.........do you expect DJI to stop development of new drones just so that their old flag ship remains the best.
They'd be out of business in a few years if they did that.
How long does a phone model remain the top of its manufacturers range?

If you expect any manufacturer to do that then you are deluded.
I wouldn't be surprised in DJI R&D isn't already working on the Mavic 5 let alone the Mavic 4.
2023-4-28
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Am I mad about that? Not at all. If you loved you drone yesterday you can do that even today. Fear of missing out is bad for the soul. And as a European pilot I am still more than happy with a drone with C1 classification because officially weighing less the 900 grams. Advantage Mavic 3 and Classic.
Do you always have to have the top of the line? Is this in itself value for you?
2023-4-28
Use props
Tom_765
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

I, too, am a little upset about this. I’ve seen posts where they compare to apple iPhone upgrades. Difference is apple offers a buyback/trade in! So don’t compare it to apple.
2023-4-28
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19041243 ft
United States

I get where ya coming from. its like buying a new Ford truck and the next day a much better one comes out at the same price. Happened tot me.
But I just bought a new mavic3 over the pro this week. and I feel very lucky to have been able to purchase it new, I was looking at refurbs.  I have a mini2 and love it, have put over a 1000 miles on it. I am hoping to fly the m3 for years to come even if DJI has new and improved releases. The M3 pro is the same drone just a different camera.  So firmware and App updates will pretty much be the same for the M3 as the M3P

So my needs may not be the same as yours, for what I use the m3 for I don't need 3 camera's for landscape and taking photos for the local real estate company, But i did need the advance collision system and active tarck5
Its just a different point of view.
2023-4-28
Use props
HankStank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3525850 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Grinds me too.
More so the fact that you get the Pro controller with it now. I had to buy the RC controller additionally to the M3 which pushed the price up for me.
Now you get the Pro and the Pro controller for the same price. Not happy but eh, win some loose some.
2023-4-28
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

SeehawerB Posted at 4-28 07:34
Am I mad about that? Not at all. If you loved you drone yesterday you can do that even today. Fear of missing out is bad for the soul. And as a European pilot I am still more than happy with a drone with C1 classification because officially weighing less the 900 grams. Advantage Mavic 3 and Classic.
Do you always have to have the top of the line? Is this in itself value for you?
I think you nailed it. FOMO.   I had the m3 classic, then got the m3 for the explorer camera and to find out that camera is 80% useless and I was doing just fine with the classic. Won’t fall for that again.  

Other than. The physical appearance of that menacing looking 3 eyed camera, I don’t see what’s worth being afraid of missing out on for a hobbyist with that 3rd camera.  Not worth going through selling my Mavic 3 and a kidney to own it for something that’s not going to blow my mind.
2023-4-28
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

This is the way the game is played,why would you upgrade if you already have the Mavic 3.it is not DJI's fault as a lot of
2023-4-28
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

companies do the same thing.
2023-4-28
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-28 06:21

Not too sure about 3/4 the value,I would go more like half.
2023-4-28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those who say they're feeling bad about buying a drone and then a new one comes out, all I can advise is that you look at the 'Product Cycle'.

Anything beyond a 12-16 months and you really shouldn't be looking to make an investment in a flagship drone. DJI aren't as scheduled as Apple when it comes to releases, but this is technology and the industry moves fast.
2023-4-28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 4-28 09:36
Not too sure about 3/4 the value,I would go more like half.

I sold my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday for £570. It was £1299 new. That drone came out five years ago.
2023-4-28
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

They definantly should have waited longer to release a new version. And discontinuing the M3 really brings the value down fast
2023-4-28
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

SeehawerB Posted at 4-28 07:34

For professional work, it is necessary.
2023-4-28
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 4-28 08:55
I get where ya coming from. its like buying a new Ford truck and the next day a much better one comes out at the same price. Happened tot me.
But I just bought a new mavic3 over the pro this week. and I feel very lucky to have been able to purchase it new, I was looking at refurbs.  I have a mini2 and love it, have put over a 1000 miles on it. I am hoping to fly the m3 for years to come even if DJI has new and improved releases. The M3 pro is the same drone just a different camera.  So firmware and App updates will pretty much be the same for the M3 as the M3P

me too - I stay off the bleeding edge and wait and save $200 on the original combo and as many have pointed out the original 3 coming out of the box today is still and awesome bird. No doubt.
2023-4-28
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

same thing happened to me recently on the Avata combo - I purchase this crazy expensive drone and soon thereafter the new model comes out - same price - newer goggles.

But I like mine better - old style goggles has field replaceable batteries. new model has battery built in so you have to charge between flights.

I can swap out for a new battery for $24 - so I actually like the older combo better - sometimes it works out.

But you can never be sad about new tech coming out every day. Or you ill be sad every day..........
2023-4-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-28 06:50
@ Drey. I .......    So.........do you expect DJI to stop development of new drones just so that their old flag ship remains the best.

I would hope they are always looking at next, and next-next.  Agree.
2023-4-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-28 06:50

for sure, when the mavic 3 pro launches, it's 99% the good folks at dji are flying mavic 4 drones around the office.  they would be remiss if they weren't.  and i agree, mavic 5 is at least on the drawing board....it has to be that way if they are going to succeed.  personally i think it takes too long between drone models, a year or more is too long especially when it's been that way for awhile.  if they could get a solid annual cadence going, buyers would be ok with being 2 or 3 models back.

in 2033, if it still takes a year to launch a new drone model...something needs to change.  unfortunately we cannot be told the details of these launches because this type of information is still considered confidential and proprietary especially from a competitive perspective.  however, it's not top secret.  i'm sure the top folks at bestbuy and amazon, etc has seen the roadmap which usually goes out 5 years.

im honestly looking forward to fpv2, i can't get mad at dji.  ;)
2023-4-28
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

I picked up 2 flight 24min used mavic 3, with fly more, rc pro, ND filters, landing gear for $2500 on eBay. Very happy and very excited. Pro was already out but honestly didn't entice me, and I got something that I'll be using for years with joy
2023-4-29
Use props
fansadef7a86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 333940 ft
United States

I share the sentiment as the original poster. Releasing an identical drone with the inclusion of an extra camera for the same price point as the original really feels like a kick in the nuts. What they should have done is priced the newer version with 3 cameras slightly higher than the original and offer some path for owners to upgrade to the additional camera. I am for supporting product development but to release a new version called the "pro" only shortly after shows that they didn't fully finish the product before release. Also feels like a money grab to release a refreshed version rather than holding on to the idea and pushing it to the next generation drone. One thing they should do is offer the camera replacement swap for free for owners who bought their DJI Care Refresh service and never used it.

What is the incentive to be an early adopter if this is how they are going to approach product management? Early adopters help fuel innovation by absorbing the cost of their product development which helps drive future innovation. They really should be thinking about how to take care of the customers that got them here. If you have two companies that have an identical product, the differentiator is how well one takes care of their customers. I suppose people could just boycott and stop buying their products if they don't do anything to take care of people and of course that's what drives a company out of business. We will see how well they manage this situation but to do nothing is going to be a very poor decision and reflection of the company.
2023-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansadef7a86 Posted at 4-29 05:34
I share the sentiment as the original poster. Releasing an identical drone with the inclusion of an extra camera for the same price point as the original really feels like a kick in the nuts. What they should have done is priced the newer version with 3 cameras slightly higher than the original and offer some path for owners to upgrade to the additional camera. I am for supporting product development but to release a new version called the "pro" only shortly after shows that they didn't fully finish the product before release. Also feels like a money grab to release a refreshed version rather than holding on to the idea and pushing it to the next generation drone. One thing they should do is offer the camera replacement swap for free for owners who bought their DJI Care Refresh service and never used it.

What is the incentive to be an early adopter if this is how they are going to approach product management? Early adopters help fuel innovation by absorbing the cost of their product development which helps drive future innovation. They really should be thinking about how to take care of the customers that got them here. If you have two companies that have an identical product, the differentiator is how well one takes care of their customers. I suppose people could just boycott and stop buying their products if they don't do anything to take care of people and of course that's what drives a company out of business. We will see how well they manage this situation but to do nothing is going to be a very poor decision and reflection of the company.

What is the incentive to be an early adopter if this is how they are going to approach product management?
If this is how they are going to approach product management?
Where did you get your business management degree?

Would you prefer they hold off developing new and improved models?
Early adopters have had their Mavic 3s for over a year and aren't whinging because DJI inconsiderately released an improved model.

They really should be thinking about how to take care of the customers that got them here.
What does that mean?
You should look around at how the technology world works.
If you don't like DJI bringing out a revamped Mavic 3, then fly an original Mavic 3 and enjoy that.

If you have two companies that have an identical product, the differentiator is how well one takes care of their customers.
1.  There's not another drone maker that makes a product in the same league as DJI, so that hypothetical falls down right away.
2.  Isn't producing the best drones, the best way to take care of customers?

We will see how well they manage this situation but to do nothing is going to be a very poor decision and reflection of the company.
But didn't you want them to do nothing and cancel innovation and product development?

2023-4-29
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
United States

There is nothing to fix,because nothing is wrong,its how they chose to run their business,which seems to be working for them
2023-4-29
Use props
fansadef7a86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 333940 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-29 06:06
What is the incentive to be an early adopter if this is how they are going to approach product management?
If this is how they are going to approach product management?
Where did you get your business management degree?

Maybe you should spend less time and energy attacking someone directly and keep the conversation civil.
2023-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansadef7a86 Posted at 4-29 07:14
Maybe you should spend less time and energy attacking someone directly and keep the conversation civil.

It's tough finding that others have a different opinion.
Try not to be so triggered by it.
2023-4-29
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansadef7a86 Posted at 4-29 05:34
I share the sentiment as the original poster. Releasing an identical drone with the inclusion of an extra camera for the same price point as the original really feels like a kick in the nuts. What they should have done is priced the newer version with 3 cameras slightly higher than the original and offer some path for owners to upgrade to the additional camera. I am for supporting product development but to release a new version called the "pro" only shortly after shows that they didn't fully finish the product before release. Also feels like a money grab to release a refreshed version rather than holding on to the idea and pushing it to the next generation drone. One thing they should do is offer the camera replacement swap for free for owners who bought their DJI Care Refresh service and never used it.

What is the incentive to be an early adopter if this is how they are going to approach product management? Early adopters help fuel innovation by absorbing the cost of their product development which helps drive future innovation. They really should be thinking about how to take care of the customers that got them here. If you have two companies that have an identical product, the differentiator is how well one takes care of their customers. I suppose people could just boycott and stop buying their products if they don't do anything to take care of people and of course that's what drives a company out of business. We will see how well they manage this situation but to do nothing is going to be a very poor decision and reflection of the company.

Do you consider someone who bought a second hand Mavic3, well over a year after official release; an 'early adopter'?
2023-4-29
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-28 06:30
DJI has to do something about it.
How dare they bring out new and improved products.

So do Apple, Samsung, and Sony......
2023-4-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 4-29 14:59
So do Apple, Samsung, and Sony......

Not to mention, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.
It never ends.
2023-4-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

No car company would ever give you a fair trade-in on last year's model.
2023-4-29
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-29 15:37
No car company would ever give you a fair trade-in on last year's model.

But this is different. They called the mavic 3 their flagship and then came up with the pro. IMO I think that DJI should have told us a pro version is coming for the same price, no one would buy the mavic 3.
2023-4-29
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-28 16:54
for sure, when the mavic 3 pro launches, it's 99% the good folks at dji are flying mavic 4 drones around the office.  they would be remiss if they weren't.  and i agree, mavic 5 is at least on the drawing board....it has to be that way if they are going to succeed.  personally i think it takes too long between drone models, a year or more is too long especially when it's been that way for awhile.  if they could get a solid annual cadence going, buyers would be ok with being 2 or 3 models back.

in 2033, if it still takes a year to launch a new drone model...something needs to change.  unfortunately we cannot be told the details of these launches because this type of information is still considered confidential and proprietary especially from a competitive perspective.  however, it's not top secret.  i'm sure the top folks at bestbuy and amazon, etc has seen the roadmap which usually goes out 5 years.

It’s bad for the company.
2023-4-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Drey. I Posted at 4-29 16:08
But this is different. They called the mavic 3 their flagship and then came up with the pro. IMO I think that DJI should have told us a pro version is coming for the same price, no one would buy the mavic 3.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. Flagship means "this model year" not the future.
2023-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Drey. I Posted at 4-29 16:14
It’s bad for the company.

Bad for the company?
It doesn't seem to be working out that way for them.

There are some pretty unrealistic business theories on display in this thread.

2023-4-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi Drew. I
for me - here in Europe - the Mavic 3 is still the absolute top model!
I was also surprised at the time that DJI didn't (yet) call this drone "Mavic 3 Pro"...
One could almost think that something "must" follow...
Here in Europe you can fly the M3 like a Mini 3 Pro because of its low weight (< 900g): actually everywhere!
And DJI has made it true to have this drone subsequently (!) certified, to have it classified in the so-called C1 class.
At the time the Mavic 3 was released, it was not possible for any manufacturer to have its products classified in this way! After more than a year, DJI then completed this certification...
We can really be very, very grateful here to DJI for that, because we can now fly anywhere, just like with the Mini 3 Pro! This is really a great achievement by DJI, which certainly wasn't free either, on the contrary...
A Mavic 3 Pro is now no longer allowed to fly in cities and, for example, only 150m away from people! That actually makes them "unusable" for a lot of users...

There is a way out here too:
You complete a so-called "big drone driver's license".
That's quite a hassle...
But, even after that you can't fly it like a Mini 3 Pro...
Even then, there are still many restrictions on its use.

The Mavic 3 is therefore - thanks to DJI - an absolute top model here in Europe.
And you will be able to overcome your sadness that there is now another model with the suffix "Pro" which includes another camera sensor that you might not use that often, right...?
2023-4-29
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules