Please critique.
1962 29 2015-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

This is the first video I have edited and am looking for suggestions on how to make a better video.  There are a few things I have noticed on my own and will work on but would like to hear some opinions from the experienced fliers.

EDITED: Original music has been replaced.

2015-8-24
Use props
Nickww
lvl.1

United States

good video. that looks like a pretty cool area. the music and opening title screen kind of reminded me of an instructional video that they make you watch at work. but other than that, I thought your video was great. good job.
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely a cool video...nice!
2015-8-24
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-8-25 00:59
Forget about the video. Tell me your profile picture was photoshopped.  
Personally, I find the mu ...

Yes the music is not the right music for this video.  For some reason my computer was having a hard time playing music and I ended up getting frustrated and just added one without listening to it.  It is definitely not right for the video and was one of the things on my list to change.  Thank you for commenting.  Oh and the profile pic is just a pic I found on the web that made me laugh at first and then wonder if someone was that stupid to really do this.  Photoshopped?  I hope so.
2015-8-24
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Very nice video.  I particularly liked the last 20 seconds or so.

My only comment would be that the video seems a bit dark with a lot of detail disappearing in the shadows.  Did you use any filters on your lens or adjust the camera settings?  There are lots of good sources of info for that sort of thing.

But really, other than that, the falls were breathtaking.
2015-8-24
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

Great subject matter, great scenes, good editing. I found that near the beginning there may have been too many shots of visually similar, or almost identical, scenes in a row. Sometimes less is more. The falls are beautiful and I liked your trip down the river and the flight over the falls with the camera facing down as you went over. Well timed and effective shot. Maybe things were a bit dark, but I didn't get that feeling from watching it. You are already aware of the music, so I won't dwell on that. Also, as mentioned, the opening titles are overkill. It comes across as doing it just because you can. Playing with a new toy. The credits aren't the feature of the film, I would recommend using something simpler and let the beauty of the falls speak for itself. For someone brand new at editing, give yourself a pat on the back. Good job. Learn from it and continue to tweak your work, and keep your pugs on the ground where they belong.
2015-8-24
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Very nice control of your Phantom, everything is very smooth.
After 5 seconds, I mute my computer : the music is very agressive for this kind of images.
The title reminds me WordArt... ugly design and ugly color. Nothing can beat a thin font (Helvetica Neue for example) without 3D effects.
Some parts are underexposed.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-8-25 01:16
Very nice video.  I particularly liked the last 20 seconds or so.

My only comment would be that the ...

I used a ND .9 filter.  I tried to find a happy medium between filming below the falls in the shadows and rising above them in full midday sunlight.  What is the best way to handle proper exposure in these conditions?  Post editing or making the adjustments as you fly?
2015-8-24
Use props
sermole
lvl.2

United States

need more light
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.  Keep them coming.
2015-8-24
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

One thing I am trying to master now is the use of IOC. The last part of the video would have really benefitted from going over the edge of the falls whilst panning down and then as you pass over the edge, spin the bird and pan back up. It's hard to explain but I hope you get the idea.

I have watched lots of the videos people have posted here and IMO most videos that go longer than about the 3min mark I tend to loose interest in. I really make a determined effort now to restrict the edited video to about that length, but like i said, it's just my opinion.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

colin.buckle Posted at 2015-8-25 07:43
One thing I am trying to master now is the use of IOC. The last part of the video would have really  ...

I don't fully understand the IOC function yet but from what I gather it acts like a zip line for your drone allowing you to turn and at the same time maintain heading.  Is this an accurate description?
2015-8-24
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

Yep, that's how I would describe it.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

Tweeked a few things. I still don't like the music but had to use it because my laptop is not liking music lately.

2015-8-24
Use props
QECadmin
lvl.3

United States

nice footage - what did you use for post editing?
2015-8-24
Use props
tinpet
lvl.1

United States

i like the video....but i used to camp at the falls in high school in 1971-72 so it had special meaning!
2015-8-24
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

from 3:30 to the end is the best part, the rest you have a lot of repeated shots, pick the best and change the music lol but very nice.
2015-8-24
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I assume the current audio is not what everyone is complaining about.  I really like it!
2015-8-24
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Years back when I started (still) photography I was told photographers need to learn to kill their children.  It's an ugly expression but essentially means you have to be harsh with yourself and eliminate shots which may be cute to you but don't add much.

So ...

1. Cut the video to 2:30 in length, max.  Too many repeated shots.
2. Simplify the caption font (yet again).
3. You need to film the main falls in sunshine.  At the beginning they are way too dark.  I don't know if it was cloudy or if that was the ND filter.

Having said that, I like the concept and many of the shots.  The shot around 3:30 going over the falls is especially good.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

msjh Posted at 2015-8-25 13:05
Years back when I started (still) photography I was told photographers need to learn to kill their c ...

Notes taken, thank you for the comments.   
2015-8-25
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-25 12:13
I assume the current audio is not what everyone is complaining about.  I really like it!

Yes the audio was changed but I'm not sure I like it.  For some reason I am having a hard time getting audio to play right in my editing program.
2015-8-25
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

tinpet Posted at 2015-8-25 10:44
i like the video....but i used to camp at the falls in high school in 1971-72 so it had special mean ...

Do you still live in the area?
2015-8-25
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

QECadmin Posted at 2015-8-25 10:22
nice footage - what did you use for post editing?

I use CyberLink PowerDirector 13 for editing.
2015-8-25
Use props
dmoerman
lvl.1

United States

I thought it was a bit too long and repetitive as others have said. I liked the girl with the little dog and enjoyed seeing the quad's shadow.  Fine flying, especially the section going upriver between (and under) the trees.  
2015-8-25
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I'm far from an expert but when I have too much difference in exposition in the same sequence (it is difficult to control everything, the quad, the camera tilt, the exposure and keep an eye on the quad while checking the screen), I cut a section and make a transition. And I adjust the underexposed (or surexposed) section to match the other. Of course, this result to a break in the sequence.
2015-8-25
Use props
tinpet
lvl.1

United States

Fred1969 Posted at 2015-8-25 19:43
Do you still live in the area?

canandaigua.....and you?
2015-8-25
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

tinpet Posted at 2015-8-26 07:31
canandaigua.....and you?

New Haven/Mexico
2015-8-25
Use props
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

I'm new to the forum. Why don't I see the video?
2015-8-25
Use props
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

Anyone know of a good source to learn about the different camera settings and their significance? I'm not a camera buff and need to learn from the ground up. Pun not intended.
2015-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules