7209 8 2023-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richparry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1620148 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been shooting D-Log for years, now that the Mavic 3 supports D-Log-M, I wonder what advantage D-log-M has over D-log? Are there situations where shooting D-log-M is preferred?

Thanks,
Rich
2023-4-28
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

As far as I know there are no situations where D-Log M gives better quality than D-Log.
D-Log M is apparently a proprietary mode developed by DJI, with a non-standard colour space.

Professional filmmaker Philip Bloom says that D-Log M has lower dynamic range than proper D-Log. He does not like it, and he knows
more than most about editing video.
2023-4-28
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Imho D-Log M  like HLG has adjustable ISO from 100 to 1600 in 100 increments, when D-Log has either 400 or 800 or 1600.
2023-4-28
Use props
digibud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

While it’s true that D-Log M has lower dynamic range that difference would be minimal to non-existent for most casual home users.  If you were sharing files with others using D-Log it would be important to use and if you had scenes with very high dynamic range then D-Log might be especially useful. D-Log M would, I think (no real direct experience...) have a reasonable range for most casual users.  I used to shoot DLog but now I only do when I have a challenging scene. DJI Normal mode might be an anathma to pros but it's really quite a decent take on color. I am just assuming the DLog M will really be quite good and am looking forward to it.
2023-4-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Rich. Thank you for reaching out. D-Log M allows the camera sensor to record enough dynamic range. As the photo has been processed, it leaves less room for grading in post-production compared with D-Log, but you can more easily color grade during post-processing.

While D-Log allows the camera sensor to pull as much dynamic information from the scene, get the maximum dynamic range compared with other color modes, and give you more flexibility in your post-production as the photo is not processed. But it will devote more time to post-processing as LUTs should be used to color grade D-Log footage before post-processing. For more details, refer to D-Log D-Gamut Whitepaper. (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... amut_Whitepaper.pdf). Hope this helps.
2023-4-28
Use props
digibud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-28 18:54
Hi, Rich. Thank you for reaching out. D-Log M allows the camera sensor to record enough dynamic range. As the photo has been processed, it leaves less room for grading in post-production compared with D-Log, but you can more easily color grade during post-processing.

While D-Log allows the camera sensor to pull as much dynamic information from the scene, get the maximum dynamic range compared with other color modes, and give you more flexibility in your post-production as the photo is not processed. But it will devote more time to post-processing as LUTs should be used to color grade D-Log footage before post-processing. For more details, refer to D-Log D-Gamut Whitepaper.   (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/zenmuse+x7/20171010/D-Log_D-Gamut_Whitepaper.pdf). Hope this helps.

What he said
2023-4-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

If you watch this video you will see the difference...

2023-4-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, digibud. Is there anything we can help you with? Please let us know. Thank you.
2023-4-30
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 4-28 22:05
If you watch this video you will see the difference...

https://youtu.be/vRKiCC01r9U

Well explained, thanks for sharing.
2023-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules